12-26-07 – Simply Beautiful

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-26-07 – Simply Beautiful

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    FutherMucker
    Participant

it’s my prediction that i’ve just done my bit to mess up your prediction.

😆

Dank u !…Mag ik u een drankje aanbieden ?

Jack Daniels shot will be OK ?

This is super contest !

Cheers to all !

P.S… You Dutchies speak so good English. I am jealous on this !

I’m a sucker for excellent snow pictures, and there is plenty for me to oogle over this week! Great job everyone!

Elsinore
    LOVE the bulb shot!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

and i’m damned if messing about with a marble, some bicycle lamps and some glo-sticks didn’t give me more pleasure than i’ve had all year, so the votes don’t matter.

Those were sweet shots 🙂 Question, though: was the third marble shot done with selective color?

Elsinore
    LOVE the bulb shot!

Thank you 🙂

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Good contest.. some people REALLY nailed it…others, not-so-much…

I can’t believe corsec’s lighter didn’t win… that was a perfect example of what the theme was… pictures of flowers… the sky….etc… are things that EVERYONE thinks is beautiful… the point of the contest (for me) was to find beauty in something that NOT EVERYONE THINKS IS BEAUTIFUL!!! OH well, win some, lose some… I still voted across the board… even if I didn’t find it in theme, if i liked the pic, I voted.

some of my favs were: corsec, u-man, sleeping, futhermucker, and did I mention corsec, and U-man? 😉

I also really liked sclark’s crappy old faucet… nice.

Uranus
    Participant

and i’m damned if messing about with a marble, some bicycle lamps and some glo-sticks didn’t give me more pleasure than i’ve had all year, so the votes don’t matter.

Those were sweet shots 🙂 Question, though: was the third marble shot done with selective color?

nope.pitch dark room and a bicycle lamp…. 🙂

corsec67
    Participant

I can’t believe corsec’s lighter didn’t win… that was a perfect example of what the theme was… pictures of flowers… the sky….etc… are things that EVERYONE thinks is beautiful… the point of the contest (for me) was to find beauty in something that NOT EVERYONE THINKS IS BEAUTIFUL!!! OH well, win some, lose some… I still voted across the board… even if I didn’t find it in theme, if i liked the pic, I voted.

some of my favs were: corsec, u-man, sleeping, futhermucker, and did I mention corsec, and U-man? 😉

Thanks

Yeah, but the lighter did get more than 28 votes, so some people liked it.

I don’t think the theme was quite “find the beauty in something that isn’t commonly thought of as beautiful”, but more “find the beauty in something plain/common”. The first one would make a very cool theme, though.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

nope.pitch dark room and a bicycle lamp…. 🙂

sweeeeet

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Thanks

Yeah, but the lighter did get more than 28 votes, so some people liked it.

I don’t think the theme was quite “find the beauty in something that isn’t commonly thought of as beautiful”, but more “find the beauty in something plain/common”. The first one would make a very cool theme, though.

On a side note, is this you? LoL…

corsec67
    Participant

On a side note, is this you? LoL…

flickr page

No, I am more like this. (the ring-shape on the right there is intentional. Probably ugly, but it was intentional…)

(or on a good day:)
    flickr page
    (Not quite safe for work, just pretty funny)
    (I might use this in the next self-portrait contest)

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Is your avatar you? You look waaaay different in RL if that Av is you.. hehe…

Hilarious pic though… You should’ve used the telephoto lens though… 😀

U-Man
    Participant

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh……

I just got back from my folks place out in the woods of the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Although the high speed satellite connection is on the way, they still have dial-up at a blistering 19.2 kbps. I had to drive into town and park in the Best Western lot and borrow their wireless just to post my pics. I’m home and feel like an addict who has been cut off for a week and then scores. Mmmmm…cable internets….

MrBob, thanks for the kind words. I also perceived this contest as pics of something not ordinarily recognized as beautiful. Perhaps in five or six months we could do one that has this specific wording in the theme. It would be a good excercise for all of us.

As a total aside, I think that Kraften’s other one (railroad spikes) would have received more than a few votes. I was bummed when I saw it, went to the upper right and found no vote box.

Another aside – So I’m up in the woods with all of this beautiful snow and nature and old tractors and stuff. Got my camera stuff ready…and nearly the whole time I’m there, it is cloudy with sucky flat light. Of course, as we’re driving out of town, the sun broke though and the entire world was sparkling. 😕

jpatten
    Participant

Question, how much does how early you post in the contest affect the voting? It seemed to me that the first posted photos were always leading? Of course this is the first contest I participated in so I could be imagining it

corsec67
    Participant

Question, how much does how early you post in the contest affect the voting? It seemed to me that the first posted photos were always leading? Of course this is the first contest I participated in so I could be imagining it

Actually I think you are looking at it backwards:
    I knew I had some good pictures for this contest, and so I made sure to post them as soon as I could. When I don’t have as good of pictures, I don’t post as early.

jpatten
    Participant

Ah that makes sense…
    I was thinking it would be related to some people just dont bother with looking at all the pictures and just hit the first few.

I will have to try and see if I can make some good ones to post … I think I have at least one pretty good one…

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Re: early entry… Check the FSM for a given contest to see how the votes flow in. For this one there were more votes cast the first hour it was up than any other. I suspect that true most of the time. So it’s advisable to get your postings in before the contest goes up on the Fark headlines (meaning get a T membership).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • The topic ‘12-26-07 – Simply Beautiful’ is closed to new replies.