3-27-13 – The Onion on Your Belt

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 3-27-13 – The Onion on Your Belt

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Elsinore, I’m having problems with the “Keep me logged in on this computer” checkbox. I’m using Chrome and I cleared my browser & cookie cache recently and ever since I’m having to log in each time I bring up the forums, regardless of whether I check that box or not. Could you ask Zeke if he’s got any ideas when he’s got a couple of minutes? I’ve got Fiddler installed so I can get him header traces if he wants. I can still get in, so it’s not critical, but it’s kind of a pain to login every time.

orionid
    Participant

Elsinore, I’m having problems with the “Keep me logged in on this computer” checkbox. I’m using Chrome and I cleared my browser & cookie cache recently and ever since I’m having to log in each time I bring up the forums, regardless of whether I check that box or not. Could you ask Zeke if he’s got any ideas when he’s got a couple of minutes? I’ve got Fiddler installed so I can get him header traces if he wants. I can still get in, so it’s not critical, but it’s kind of a pain to login every time.

I’m having a similar issue, but I figured it was just the new security policy at work.

Doesn’t work:
    IE 8.0.6001 no updates or plugins, windows XP or Windows 7

Works fine:
    Chrome X.X (?)
    Windows 7

Funny thing is, the work computer maintains login on my other forums.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Works fine:
    Chrome X.X (?)
    Windows 7

I’ll bet you’d find that it stops working if you clear the cookie cache. I’m running a similar setup and all was well for many moons until I did that recently.

Curious
    Participant

well with my work schedule change my grasp of the days of the week went to hell and it was upon waking this morning i realized i not only didn’t have time for another shot but was 11 hours late posting.

but i put them up. great fun looking through the contest this time. great shots of fun things. many fun memories. thanks one and all.

Barracuda
    Participant

Sorry about that. Again. Not Fark’s fault this time. I really need to get the scraper more automated so it’s not subject to the memory faults of its creator. Did I mention I’m turning 50 in a couple of weeks? 😉

If you want a hand with the coding (it is C# with some sort of SQL backend right?) I’ll be happy to lend a hand. Who do you host with? I had to get a little creative with my ‘automated’ jobs at VeloBase.com since I host with GoDaddy and don’t have any way of scheduling jobs outside of my web application on their servers. Message me and I can give you details on a few of my solutions if you want.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Somebody supposedly named Eeek! sponsored me for a month of T-Fark. I tried to say thank you, but when I went to look at the profile for an email address, there apparently was no such user (tastes like chicken).

If you’re reading this Eeek!, thank you!

If you know who Eeek! is, please say thank you to them for me.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Somebody supposedly named Eeek! sponsored me for a month of T-Fark. I tried to say thank you, but when I went to look at the profile for an email address, there apparently was no such user (tastes like chicken).

If you’re reading this Eeek!, thank you!

If you know who Eeek! is, please say thank you to them for me.

Eeek! is one of the Mods, she covers for Gwinny when Gwinny is offline.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

^he…he covers for Gwinny (as I do on occasion…both of us will be next week).

But weird on the login thing. Zeke’s been out of town, but is back, though catching up on some scout stuff tonight. I’ll mention it to him. Nothing under the hood has changed recently, though….when did this start? Any info is good, so header traces, whatever, thanks 🙂

nobigdeal
    Participant

But weird on the login thing. Zeke’s been out of town, but is back, though catching up on some scout stuff tonight. I’ll mention it to him. Nothing under the hood has changed recently, though….when did this start? Any info is good, so header traces, whatever, thanks 🙂

I’m seeing the same thing on my desktop at home. Win 8/chrome & firefox. Haven’t tried IE. Always logs me out but login info is saved. My laptop running same config stays logged in.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m not sure when it actually started. For me, I noticed it right after I recently cleared my cookie cache. That leads me to think that maybe something to do with cookie expirations changed at some point; everyone who got a cookie when it was working (like I had for quite a while) was auto-logged on, but once you clear that cookie, the new cookie either isn’t being set or isn’t set to exist across sessions.

Anyway, I captured an extensive set of traces for Zeke that show this and a couple of other login issues that occur when different login access points are used. Since it contains credential cookies, I’m going to PM you the link (it’s a PDF file).

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

If you want a hand with the coding (it is C# with some sort of SQL backend right?) I’ll be happy to lend a hand. Who do you host with? I had to get a little creative with my ‘automated’ jobs at VeloBase.com since I host with GoDaddy and don’t have any way of scheduling jobs outside of my web application on their servers. Message me and I can give you details on a few of my solutions if you want.

Thanks for the offer, Barracuda. It is C# running against a couple of SQL Server DBs, and the site is hosted on GoDaddy.

Let me give you an idea of the current process and future plan and then you can see if any of the issues you’ve already solved might apply here.

First, there are two components that run on my desktop. Right now, they’re both just WPF applications; the future plan is to make them Windows services so that they’re always running and auto-start on reboot. But since they’re just apps now, I start them manually sometime on Wed.

The first component is the Statistics Librarian, or scraper. Its UI looks like this. I manually enter the Active Contest information and then click either Create or Watch. “Create” is used when I know the link ID (i.e., if I’m starting the scraper after the link’s been posted here). “Watch” is used otherwise and polls Fark’s topic/farktography page looking for a new contest; when it finds one, it uses the link ID from that. Note that I don’t parse the contest number, theme or description; that’s manually entered.

Once a link ID is known and the contest opens (midnight EST), the scraper wakes up every 15 minutes and scrapes both the contest and voting result pages. It downloads any new entries found, creates & saves thumbnails locally, and saves all of this info to the local FarkStats database. Every 15 minutes is a new snapshot and a new set of records.

The second component is called DataPush and it’s responsible for summarizing the detailed info in FarkStats, calculating entrant statistics, and combining it all in such a way as to be efficiently displayed on the website. It reads from FarkStats, writes the condensed data to a local BiblioStats database which has a schema created just to support the website, and uploads the changed records and thumbnails to the website through a web service. The website also has a BiblioStats database with an identical schema, so this is my version of SQL replication. DataPush uses Entity Framework so it can detect only those records that have changed.

I created two components for this because I didn’t want problems pushing the data to the web to interfere with the process of scraping and capturing the data. DataPush waits on a system event which is triggered by the scraper after each successful scrape cycle just before sleeping.

The website itself uses read-only access to the web BiblioStats database and caches almost all displayed data using backing SQL dependencies to invalidate the cache when the web service receives new data.

The future plan is to 1) enhance the FarkStats schema so that I can enter multiple future contests in advance; and 2) move the non-visual logic in DataPush and the Librarian to Windows services which run non-stop in the background and are timed to wakeup and grab the next contest every Wed night. That will take care of any forgetfulness on my part, as long as there are sufficient future contests lined up. (I know I could have the scraper read the contest info from the page, but for now, I prefer formatting it myself. If I ever get time to enhance it to support PS contests, I’ll have to move to that method for sure.)

ennuipoet
    Participant

Eeek! is a HE? For years I thought he was a she. And I am not sure why. Of course a lot of people think I am she as well. Apparently Ennuipoet is not the most masculine of monikers, that I and occasionally like to dress as Marilyn Monroe.

/NTTATWT

nobigdeal
    Participant

Eeek! is a HE? For years I thought he was a she. And I am not sure why. Of course a lot of people think I am she as well. Apparently Ennuipoet is not the most masculine of monikers, that I and occasionally like to dress as Marilyn Monroe.

/NTTATWT

You mean you’re not a girl?

staplermofo
    Participant

I and occasionally like to dress as Marilyn Monroe.

/NTTATWT

You mean you’re not a girl?

Girls don’t have facial hair like that. Just women, sexy sexy women.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘3-27-13 – The Onion on Your Belt’ is closed to new replies.