4-25-07 – In a mood

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 4-25-07 – In a mood

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    monkeybort
    Participant

i think we should stick with moody places/people and try to keep pets out of it for this one. FSM knows i love taking pictures of norm, but i just don’t see a cat or a dog coming across as emo.

and actually – does ‘in a mood’ necessarily refer to a ‘moody’ mood (aka tired, depressed, angry, frustrated, etc) or can we also go for happy moods?

millera9
    Participant

I was thinking of the larger definition of mood; i.e. a consistent emotional interpretation or theme. Could be happy, sad, pissy, energetic, etc…

Any other opinions?

Snug Tight
    Participant

When I first saw this contest, I thought of photos I have taken of my wife interacting with the dogs. She is in a happy mood in the pixs. But then I looked up Moody. Answers.com shows:

Given to frequent changes of mood; temperamental.
    Subject to periods of depression; sulky.
    Expressive of a mood, especially a sullen or gloomy mood: a moody silence.

For mood it shows:

A state of mind or emotion.
    A pervading impression of an observer: the somber mood of the painting.
    An incidence of sulking or angry behavior.
    Inclination; disposition.

This might be harder than I thought.

veruca
    Participant

If I recall correctly (insert joke here) this one was one of Elsinore’s suggested contests so the questions regarding pets/self portraits would probably best be defined by her. Whatcha think E?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh damn, this was mine, wasn’t it? I’d totally forgotten 😆 Originally when I’d suggested the theme, I knew the description was kind of suggestive of more sullen-type mood, but it wasn’t really my intent to limit the mood depicted to just depressed, angry, sullen, gloomy, etc. type moods. Any type of strong or clear mood is fair game, though I guess if you’re photographing places, it might come across more if you’re capturing something gloomy than something more upbeat.

In terms of people vs pets vs self-portraits, I had envisioned this as people (of any age) or places, not animals at all. I don’t mind self-portraits, but I can dig the “no self-portraits in mirror” thing–seems a bit too easy if that makes sense, and wasn’t quite what I’d had in mind anyway. I guess I’d have to say “Difficulty: No animals, no self-portraits in mirrors” would have been my original intent for the theme.

anneb
    Participant

Hm. I wonder what a moody fish would look like. They always just look “hungry” to me. Maybe if “the big person” stood outside the tank for a very long time without dropping more food in, they might start to get that way….

Curious
    Participant

though I guess if you’re photographing places,

are we also doing places? i’ve got one person and one people at a place so far. although the second will need a caption probably.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yep, the description is “Photographs should capture the essence of a moody place or person.” with of course the added difficulty: No animals or self portraits in mirrors.

XenPix
    Participant

I just wanted to check, after sorting out my photos last night, will a car be OK? Or should I find another? It’s just the “temperamental” part of the moody definition gave me an idea.

If it’s not ok, no problem, I can use it later.

Elsinore?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, a car is kind of a place 😆 Honestly, I’m not all that anal about it. There’s always an allowance for creative license. As long as it’s not an animal or mirrored self-portrait–the only things expressly forbidden for this one–then you should be good.

XenPix
    Participant

Super!

Didn’t want to get it all wrong so I thought it was best to check. What with still being a newb and all.

veruca
    Participant

with of course the added difficulty: No animals or self portraits in mirrors.

Adding this to the description in the boobies.

monkeybort
    Participant

have fun tonight everyone – no time to shoot + work party tonight = no monkeybort photos. 🙁

Curious
    Participant

for those that haven’t been of fark yet —- good luck. the site redesign loads so slowly you’ll think you are on dial-up.

and those on dial-up will probably be reminded of a 2400 baud modem.

posting pictures is going to be a huge pain if the contest runs at the speed the PSAEF has been. i’m tempted to not preview but having the wrong image load lately in preview … oh well. just be prepared to take twice (or more) time than you have getting your entries in.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah it’s slow. Might be the sheer number of people on checking out the new design and expressing their feelings on it. Hopefully it’ll calm down some by the time Farktography rolls around…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • The topic ‘4-25-07 – In a mood’ is closed to new replies.