4-4-07 – Stitching

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 4-4-07 – Stitching

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    veruca
    Participant

Description: Not sewing, stitches or sutures. Multiple shots stitched together to make one photo.

Difficulty: As always, please try to adhere to the farktography rules as closely as is possible in the process.

Klahanie
    Participant
    chakalakasp
    Participant

Heh, this should be a weird one. I mean, most stitched photos are bigger than 700 px — we’re going to have a lot of link clicking to do! 🙂

Analogy
    Participant

That autostitch program works very well, I’m impressed. I made this with it:

millera9
    Participant

Beautiful Analogy! I’ve been using the stitching tool for work recently and it worked marvelously once I made a few adjustments to the settings. Thanks for linking it GalleyWench!

Morningbreath
    Participant

I did this fooling around with Canon’s free stitching software. it combined 4 images instantly, in 6 clicks of the mouse. I had not even taken these photos with plans of combining them: the original amount of overlap was tremendous.

I think its going to take some fooling around with the size to get things right to post in the contest.

Diggin
    Participant

For only six clicks and free software that’s very impressive morningbreath. The hardest stitching I’ve ever done that required every bit of warping and perspective adjustments was a test shot I did of my back yard. It had trees, bushes and a fence. I have found those three items individually or all together at once caused havoc when I tried to align the pictures.

Morningbreath
    Participant

I tried some more photos today, and I had the same problem Diggin. some of my photos did not align at all. I am glad I practiced this week though. The software is pretty forgiving, to a point.

chakalakasp
    Participant

There are some great pano tutorials out there on the net if you Google, but if you don’t have a really great speacialty pano head for your tripod (these are expensive), the best advice is to use a telephoto lens and take photos of something faaaarrrrr away, while making sure that nothing near you ends up in the picture. Parallax errors are very minor at long distances, but are almost impossible to overcome (without a pano head) when you include near foreground elements.

Klahanie
    Participant

Beautiful Analogy! I’ve been using the stitching tool for work recently and it worked marvelously once I made a few adjustments to the settings. Thanks for linking it GalleyWench!

You’re welcome. 🙂

If you are still having trouble aligning your photos Morningbreath, you can download a trial version of Photoshop Elements and see if it helps. I know I’ve had photos that wouldn’t work in photomatix, but did work quite well in elements. I did this one the other night, but I don’t know if I’ll use it. It looks like the bridge didn’t line up, but that’s just how it’s made. There are a couple of spots that don’t line up, but the bridge just looks weird to me. Not bad for using the railing of an observation tower for a tripod though. 😉

monkeybort
    Participant

i tried one the other day and it sucked with a capital suck. i was trying to do an interior of an abandoned house, though – everything was pretty durned close to me.

Analogy
    Participant

Galleywench: That looks like it might just be the design of the bridge, considering there aren’t any other weird seams. Look at the solid line representing the road surface… It’s unbroken, it just goes from being a suspension bridge to a… not suspension bridge at that point. Besides, the overall photograph is too good not to submit it just because you don’t like ten pixels out of it.

rachelehcar
    Participant

That stitching program is so awezome! I’m going to have fun with that.

Klahanie
    Participant

Galleywench: That looks like it might just be the design of the bridge, considering there aren’t any other weird seams. Look at the solid line representing the road surface… It’s unbroken, it just goes from being a suspension bridge to a… not suspension bridge at that point. Besides, the overall photograph is too good not to submit it just because you don’t like ten pixels out of it.

Thanks, Analogy. I think maybe I’ll just stop looking at it for a while. 😉

And no, the meaning behind your clock photo tonight was not lost on me. 😉

Analogy
    Participant

And no, the meaning behind your clock photo tonight was not lost on me. 😉

Well my other photo was a picture of a rock band practice where all the band members are blurry and all the colors are really bright, so it’d better be pretty obvious. =D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • The topic ‘4-4-07 – Stitching’ is closed to new replies.