4-4-07 – Stitching

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 4-4-07 – Stitching

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    scingram
    Participant

Just for curiositys sake, what is the reasoning behind the no HDR policy?
    I guess i can see it from a minimal modifications / photoshop perspective, but when done properly it should be relatively subtle. Just curious..

linguine
    Participant

I think the main reason why we decided against allowing hdr shots was because people wanted to minimize the processing of images and make this more regular photography. When we did a hdr contest last fall there was some talk about doing more hdr contests from time to time because everyone seemed to like doing it occasionally but most people didnt want hdr to be a regular part of farktography.

zeke
    Participant

Agreed, linguine. Once in a while is fine, but it really is pretty heavy manipulation of the image. We had a discussion on the topic and put it to a community vote, and it pretty well came back a resounding no.

http://www.farktography.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=477

For that matter, some of the things done for this event (stitching/blending) are usually a nono too, but exceptions are made from time to time for special events like HDR and Stitching.

scingram
    Participant

Thanks guys, fair enough.
    The only reason I ask is that I primarily shoot in HDR.
    And as of recently most of my work tends to be on the more natural subtle side of the HDR range. HDR for the sake of increased light and tonal range as opposed to just for the sake of HDR (there is a time and place for that too, but not as often). In my mind its very similar to saying hey we will accept your shot, but only if you did not use a ND filter or only if you did no exposure correcting in Photoshop. I just find that there is a very negative stereotype surround the use of HDR in some circles. And it can be very well justified. I would say that the majority of HDR shots out there are the over-processed, gray feel, halo around edges variety. But thats not to say it cant be used correctly just like any other tool in a photographers pallet.

Thanks for understanding and I appreciate the answer.
    -Scott
    http://www.scottingramphotography.com

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Actually ND filter or exposure correction is fine. If you do something in-camera when the photo is taken, it’s fine, like use of filters, and in the case of some Canon cameras, the color highlight stuff (but not ok if done in post-processing). With HDR (true HDR anyway, but counts even if doing HDR from a single RAW image), you’re combining numerous different exposures, which gives you an unfair advantage, especially over film shooters. HDR also gives you a tonal range well beyond that of film, and we’ve tried to balance things between digital and film shooters. There is certainly beautifully done HDR, and looking at your Flickr images, yours definitely are on the side of realistic. But Farktography is more about what you do with your camera than what you do in post-processing, save for the occasional contest themes like Holga/Lomo where we allowed digital folks to use post-processing to simulate a Holga shot, or this week’s Stitch them which allowed combining of multiple frames. Like someone else mentioned, though, there was a plan to do occasional HDR themes, so maybe we’ll have one soonish.

scingram
    Participant

Elsinore,

Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

No problem 🙂 Your entries this week were beautiful, and I hope we’ll see more of your photos, HDR theme or no 🙂

millera9
    Participant

Ditto on that last sentiment!

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • The topic ‘4-4-07 – Stitching’ is closed to new replies.