5-2-07 – Sports

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    anneb
    Participant

Well I can’t see a guy armed with a huge tele lens aiming it at high school cheerleaders coming across as un-creepy, so I try to avoid it. =D

True. And in reality, all you’d get is just the zit on the end of one of their noses, with that tight a zoom. Better swap out lenses (:

Analogy
    Participant

True. And in reality, all you’d get is just the zit on the end of one of their noses, with that tight a zoom. Better swap out lenses (:

Well my first thought at getting a cheerleading shot would be to try and catch one of them in the air during a stunt. So it’s either aim a big tele at them, or throw a wide angle on theire and shoot up their skirts. =D Actually a wide angle would make a great look if it wouldn’t get me arrested.

millera9
    Participant

So it’s either aim a big tele at them, or throw a wide angle on theire and shoot up their skirts. =D

Wait, I’m confused. What’s the problem with this plan again? It’s been a while since I was in high school, but I seem to remember that if you showed up with a big camera and told the cheerleaders/football players that you worked for a magazine/newspaper, they would let you do just about anything. And I do mean anything.

So yeah, make yourself a press pass, show up at a game, and aim the big telephoto up their skirts!

/And then post the results here for my viewing pleasure…

Analogy
    Participant

At high school games, a big tele *is* your press pass. Srsly. I shoot high school sports for a local cable TV station and my big professional ENG camcorder gets me anywhere, I don’t even have to tell them who I’m with most of the time. I can’t imagine photo gear is that much different, a lens with a white barrel (which you can get for as little as $700 for the 70-200 f/4, maybe even less used) on a monopod should let you do anything.

I shot all of the photos I entered in this weeks contest while working on assignments for the TV station, so I was hauling a big professional ENG camcorder plus its tripod with my still gear. Does twice as much gear give you twice as much access? Well it doesn’t keep other photogs from setting themselves up in your shot. No really, I was at the track meet standing there with my video camera set up on a tripod, no way you can’t see it, and this still photog set himself up RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME when the race started. That guy was rude too, I walked up to him afterward and said “uh, sir, you were in my shot during that race” and he didn’t even acknowledge me. Asshole. He was way too close to the finish line too, racers had to dodge around him during their runoff. And then later when I set up for the shot of the hurdler a guy stood right in front of me right as the runners reached that set of hurdles, not noticing my camera clicking away in full 5fps drive. Okay, rant over.

Anyway, I’m not all that good at getting people to perform for the camera. All the time when I’m doing truck shows with the TV station I’ll ask some people in the crowd “You wanna give me a big cheer when we come back from commercial?” and hardly anyone will even notice me. All those shots you see on TV of people cheering for the camera? Those came from other people. For the D&D players out there, my CHA stat is low. =(

Curious
    Participant

there was a time when folks would realize they walked in front of you and apologize. now it seems it’s all about what they want. 🙁 i don’t know what caused that but i miss the old days.

now get off my lawn.

Curious
    Participant

For the D&D players out there, my CHA stat is low. =(

did you try putting on your robe and wizard hat 🙂

staplermofo
    Participant

Make a potato canon and shoot packing foam into the crowd. People love that.
    And if someone gets in your way, shoot a potato at them.
    Unless they have cops where you live, then you might want to stick to being ignored.

anneb
    Participant

At high school games, a big tele *is* your press pass. Srsly.

There’s a couple factors at play here. I shoot prep sports/community events for $SMALL_LOCAL_WEEKLY, and I shoot a D70 and D70s. Some of the “team moms” for visiting teams are out there shooting with better gear than *I* have- D200s and pretty fancy lenses and flash. But the Athletic Directors at the school are generally pretty cool about letting parents have good access (on the field or floor) so long as we behave ourselves! If you’re worried, show up early, and ask the person taking tickets to point you to the Athletic Director, or the school official in charge. Talk to them well before the national anthem gets going. I bump into parents shooting for their kids and teammates pretty regularly. When it gets to district or regional or state championships, though, they start making noises about wanting to see for real creds. But the lens is part of the “uniform,” that’s for sure.

More on “uniforms”- When I covered district wrestling championships a year ago, the guy at the door was very firm, everyone pays, no exceptions. When I opened my coat to pull out my wallet, he saw “photo vest,” he decided all of a sudden that I knew what I was doing, and waved me in. My gear was in plain sight the whole time, my body language didn’t change a bit… still cracks me up when I think about it. Whether it’s getting in to cover the event, or having access to the track/floor/etc, it’s all different aspects of the same thing.

monkeybort
    Participant

a friend of mine wanted to shoot a concert and the guy at the door wasn’t sure if he should let him in or not, so he radio’d up to his boss – ‘uh, there’s a guy at the door with some big boy gear, can he come in and take pictures?’

ever since then i’ve referred to my SLR as my ‘big girl gear’.

/he got in, courtesy of his BBG. 😛

Claff
    Participant

When I go to the track I have media credentials arranged in advance so I never worry about getting in. Once there, though, I take the attitude that I’m welcome anywhere I want (within reason) until someone stops me. Walk around like you own the place and you can get away with a lot. But it’s also important that when you’re stopped and it’s for a legit reason, not to throw a hissy fit, just thank the guy for doing his job and find another place to shoot from. I try to appear fairly professional even if deep down inside I’m really not.

Analogy
    Participant

When I covered district wrestling championships a year ago, the guy at the door was very firm, everyone pays, no exceptions.

Ugh, I ran into that at a wrestling meet once too, except in my case they stopped me and started going through the league regulations regarding media coverage to see if I was allowed to shoot. Of course I’m freaking allowed to shoot, I’ve shot every single other meet this team has had this season. Eventually I had to call my boss and get him to talk me through the gate.

Once I’ve actually gotten access to the event I’ve very rarely been told to shoot somewhere else. I take into account spectator sightlines, escape lanes for players exiting the field of play, and of course what will end up looking good on TV.

The one problem I do have is with high school refs who generally aren’t used to media coverage so they don’t realize that I know what I’m doing. The fact is I have far more experience at making an event and its media coverage get along nicely than any ref possibly can, but as much as I’d like to tell them this they have the power to kick me out of the venue so I just have to deal with it.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • The topic ‘5-2-07 – Sports’ is closed to new replies.