7-11-2007 Keys

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

heh heh, I bet someone could get that for you on the DL 😉

millera9
    Participant

Oh I know! My mom’s a college professor though, so anytime I want it, I can have her buy it for me real cheap. Piracy is tempting though…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh man, the beauty of the educational institution discount….

swampa
    Participant

No encryption keys, per Fark policy.

What about decryption keys? I have a ripper idea for 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 …. 😛

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah that’s exactly what’s verboten 😉 Zeke had a pic for the dvd encryption/decryption, but Fark staff asked that it not be used, even in part. When the 09 F9 thing came out several months back, it was forbidden to post on Fark for legal reasons. Unfortunately, even though it’s very old news at this point, the potential for Fark to get sued over it is still there if they allow it to be posted, so they’re playing it safe.

Uranus
    Participant

hufff…..and I suppose “cays” are out as well? It will probably save us a geography lesson 😉

Klahanie
    Participant

hufff…..and I suppose “cays” are out as well? It will probably save us a geography lesson 😉

Yeah, I thought I would take a pic of Fisherman’s Quay up the road from me, but I figured that would be pushing it.

/got nothin’

monkeybort
    Participant

could someone please explain what this is for those of us that live under a rock?

mucho thankso

zeke
    Participant

could someone please explain what this is for those of us that live under a rock?

mucho thankso

The short version: earlier this year, a cryptography key used to decrypt HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray DVDs was successfully exposed, and published on the internet. A couple months later (shortly after the Fark redesign fiasco happened, to put it in context) someone posted the key on Digg. The MPAA had been putting the smack down, and leaned on Digg to do something. Digg’s mods deleted the post. Rinse, repeat, wipe hands on pants. Long story short, Digg’s user community revolted, posting the key in every single post, in most every comment. Eventually that the guy that runs Digg had to step in and made the statement ‘our community has spoken, they would rather we go down fighting than bow to the MPAA.’

The whole thing has become a rallying cry for internet freedom and freedom of speech, and it’s certainly showcased the power of the internet community to make its voice heard. The problem is that the legality of posting the key is still cause for debate; whether they have any real legal footing or not, the MPAA and friends have no problem leaning on major web sites and threatening them with legal action. So… many major sites tend to err on the side of caution and try to avoid the can of worms being opened on their site wherever possible.

Lots of background details and links at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/09_f9.

Curious
    Participant

Eventually that the guy that runs Digg had to step in and made the statement ‘our community has spoken, they would rather we go down fighting than bow to the MPAA.’

Kevin Rose founder of digg and former tech tv guy used to have a segment on hacks regularly. lots of the *cough*hack here*cough* stuff when he was on tech tv. not real surprising he went against the MPAA.

millera9
    Participant

Yeah, I thought I would take a pic of Fisherman’s Quay up the road from me, but I figured that would be pushing it.

/got nothin’

Dammit, you guys stole my idea!!! Crap!

Uranus
    Participant

/got nothin’

Dammit millera9, you stole my idea : Crap, the key to a healthy bowel.

Now what am i going to do 😯

schnee
    Participant

/got nothin’

Dammit, I was hoping to see a bunch of Quays! Crap!

Snug Tight
    Participant

Dammit- I need to pay better attention. I thought this weeks theme was body mods. I don’t have anything for that theme, so I wasn’t going to play this week. I will have to put togeather something.

millera9
    Participant

/got nothin’

Dammit, I was hoping to see a bunch of Quays! Crap!

I’m pretty sure there are websites already out there where you can see…. uhhh…. nevermind.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • The topic ‘7-11-2007 Keys’ is closed to new replies.