7-18-2007 body mod photography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 7-18-2007 body mod photography

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    zeke
    Participant

I think it’s implied pretty clearly in the description when it says “tattoos, piercings, & other body modifications”. The context suggests only intentional modifications.

It seems to me that there’s a long history of people interpreting these topics as broadly as possible, e.g. Volkswagens in the Bugs theme etc. Personally I’d hate for that to change

As someone who intentionally looks for alternate, unexpected interpretations for their creative/amusement value, I would ask that if there is something we flat out want to exclude, we must be clear with it. Otherwise, it puts the mods in a very difficult situation– if they pull a pic for being off topic, and the person complains that its not against the stated rules, it doesn’t leave that mods much of a leg to stand on.

Also, more food for thought and contemplation: I have a scar on the side of my face from when I had a mole removed as a teenager. The surgery was strictly optional and cosmetic. So in that sense, that scar is an intentional modification. Not that I have any intention of entering it… would it be legal, or not? Under the current definition for this contest, it would.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

My first inclination upon reading the description was that the theme called for intentionally produced modifications, so scarification yes, the chicken pox scar on my wrist, not so much. However, I don’t feel that strongly either way, but like Zeke and others said, it needs to be stated very explicitly if there is something to be excluded. And given it’s currently Monday night, if something’s to be excluded, it needs to be done quickly. The contest is just under 48 hours away from this point, and that’s cutting it close to be clarifying things.

Curious
    Participant

i have scars, some intentional and some not, but nothing for the contest. wasn’t able to get where there would be people to shoot. let me rephrase that. people to take pictures of.

this is the current difficulty: “Difficulty – not just a simple close-up of it. The picture is what counts.” which to me means that single scars are out anyway.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

See now, I didn’t interpret that difficulty to say anything about single scars or multiple scars or any particular body modification. Just that the entries should be more than just a snap that says “hey, cool body art”; the pictures should themselves be art. Though that’s pretty subjective, so enforcement could be…challenging.

Curious
    Participant

i took it to be folks at a tattoo convention. or biker week in any of the various places that have biker week. in other words pictures of folks with body art doing their own thing while we capture their soul with our cameras. then exploit them for fabulous prizes.

there are those that do street photography well and then there is me. this contest would be for them. i had bugs last week.

zeke
    Participant

i took it to be folks at a tattoo convention. or biker week in any of the various places that have biker week. in other words pictures of folks with body art doing their own thing while we capture their soul with our cameras. then exploit them for fabulous prizes.

there are those that do street photography well and then there is me. this contest would be for them. i had bugs last week.

That’s a neat trick, given last week was keys 🙂

Curious
    Participant

that was personal, sorry.

but seriously there are some we like more than others. obviously keys wasn’t one of my favorites. fun to see what others did but i wasn’t inspired by it. had a couple of ideas for this but between RL chores and the rain … nada shot.

Jakevol2
    Participant

manscaping does not neccisarily have to be the shaving of the junk, it can be chest waxing a la The 40 Year Old Virgin, and it can be manicures or pedicures and it can be eyebrow sculpting…all of which IS body modification and SFW.

RcMacStudent
    Participant

Okay, I don’t want to be a complete idiot but I guess I have no choice. 😳

Scarification? Clarification, please. I mean aren’t all scars unintentional?

Specifically for me I am asking about scars from surgery.

In a word, no. A lot of traditional or tribal tattoo involves creating wounds which scar to form images or patterns. It’s basically a tattoo done without ink and with a deeper cut. Once it scabs, the scab is pulled off early to make the scar more pronounced. This is often repeated over and over to cover a large portion of the body. It’s a brutal process, but it can have beautiful results in some cases. Curious‘s link is a good example.

As for surgical scars, I would say no. I have a scar on my right leg where I had to have a large pin inserted when I broke it in 2002. I would not call that an intentional body mod.

I mentioned plastic surgery as a gray area because it is intentional and it is, technically, a body modification for (usually) superficial purposes a la tattoos or piercings. What do the rest of you think? Fair game or no?

Finally, does someone want to explain what “manscaping” is. Do I want to know?

I know that this is late in the game, but you might consider adding a difficulty of “must be intentional mods” because we do have a history of allowing a loose interpretation of the theme.

Either way it won’t affect me because I don’t normally run across many modded people (and I never see them when I have my camera). Maybe I’ll get lucky and find some at the junior college tomorrow…

If anyone still has questions about “manscaping” this site gives a fairly complete (and SFW) introduction to it.

swampa
    Participant

Yes, but the back, crack and sack wax isn’t 😛

I don’t think beautiful nails and sculpted eyebrows was what was intended for this week though (well unless the eyebrow is pierced or the rest of the finger tattooed)

/me goes back to getting his back waxed so there are fewer body hair related injuries

Though I will not have anything to contribute I’m looking especially forward to the submissions this week.

monkeybort
    Participant

i added a ‘difficulty part duex’ to exclude injury/surgery scars. should I also say no manscaping/permanent eyeliner/botox or is that implied?

it was meant to be tattoos, piercings, scarification, etc. – well-done portraity pics of work in progress, people with these mods going about their lives, environmental portraits, etc. manscaping is waaaaay off base. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think what it really gets at is permanent body mods. Manscaping, like a haircut, isn’t permanent, nor is botox, though permanent eyeliner is.

millera9
    Participant

Alright, I’m starting an official pool on how many posts have passed before we get a picture of a rice’d out Civic. I say 14.

/Winner of the pool gets a duplicate of the fabulous contest winner’s prize!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh god, no no no, please say no…..

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • The topic ‘7-18-2007 body mod photography’ is closed to new replies.