7-24-13 – Ugly Buildings

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 7-24-13 – Ugly Buildings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

There’s at least one in every city. Those architectural monstrosities, monuments to bad taste, you’ve seen them: the Parthenon-themed house, the pyramid-shaped restaurant, the horrible government buildings. Find them and photograph them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this theme should provide some eye candy thanks to emiliogtz!

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I went out yesterday to shoot for this contest and I was having difficulty deciding on how to shoot the buildings; do I try to make the buildings look uglier or beautiful with lighting, framing, etc. Luckily there is no shortage of ugly buildings in Toronto.

(for fun google “fort book” and see the first wiki entry.)

Yugoboy
    Participant

I’m kinda wondering about this one myself. . .

The only truly hideous buildings around here are in rather unsavory neighborhoods.

Lovesandwich
    Participant

I did an architecture walk the other day through Vancouver, and I gotta say, there aren’t any ugly buildings in Vancouver. And in all of the places in the world that I have been, I only know of one particular “ugly” building and it is considered in the art world to be a work of art.

About the only real ugly buildings that I know of are/were in Berlin and housed the communist party back during the east/west split and I am pretty sure that I didn’t bother getting photos of those. 😉

This one is gonna be tough.

Barracuda
    Participant

I’m coming up short on ideas as well. Sure, there’s plenty of ugly blocks of uninteresting strip malls and chain restaurants, but not likely going to result in an interesting photo of any sort. There is one hope though, there’s a newly built dentists office in town that is rather gaudy. Thinking of swinging by there this evening with the new lens and seeing if 15mm is going to be wide enough to capture it in it’s over the top glory. 😆

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    Lovesandwich
    Participant

Contest linky: http://www.fark.com/comments/7849372

That was quick!

staplermofo
    Participant

Is this exteriors only?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant
    Barracuda
    Participant

Thoughts on the processing of this one?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uYZDl-mo2BI/Uexn5iEWIVI/AAAAAAAATks/EM26pISd5U4/s820/IMG_0920-Edit.jpg

Had to push a bit further than I typically do for Farktography to bring back some blown out sky vs the building elements in shadow.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thoughts on the processing of this one?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uYZDl-mo2BI/Uexn5iEWIVI/AAAAAAAATks/EM26pISd5U4/s820/IMG_0920-Edit.jpg

Had to push a bit further than I typically do for Farktography to bring back some blown out sky vs the building elements in shadow.

Seeing it in b/w in the thread, I thought it looked a bit over processed, but seeing the color version here, it doesn’t look over the line, so I think it’s ok.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Is this exteriors only?

My reading of the theme description is that it’s intended to be exteriors, yes, though that isn’t explicitly stated in the wording. How you want to handle that is up to you if you have an interior shot you think fits the theme.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Pope Larry II – Am I the only person not on the ROM board who likes the Lee Chin Crystal?

I totally get that adding it to the old building the way they did was incongruous at best, but I like it. It’s weird, it’s unusual, it’s like, totally far out, dude. But it’s also distinctive and quite functional.

Of course, I only have to see it when I want to, so there’s that.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Pope Larry II – Am I the only person not on the ROM board who likes the Lee Chin Crystal?

I totally get that adding it to the old building the way they did was incongruous at best, but I like it. It’s weird, it’s unusual, it’s like, totally far out, dude. But it’s also distinctive and quite functional.

Of course, I only have to see it when I want to, so there’s that.

It’s not that bad, there are other issues with it. In the winter the entire sidewalk is baricaded off as there are massive icicles hanging off it. The interior has an unfinished look to it. It’s the small things that do it in. Besides, the AGO addition and the OCAD table top behind it are much better additions (in a similar fashion).

Personally, I don’t hate it, I just think it could have been better.

Barracuda
    Participant

If this isn’t HDR, I’ll eat my ND filter: http://www.fark.com/comments/7849372/85558790#c85558790

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • The topic ‘7-24-13 – Ugly Buildings’ is closed to new replies.