8-28-13 – Upon Golden Light

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 8-28-13 – Upon Golden Light

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photos taken during the “Golden Hour” (the hour after sunrise or the hour before sunset). Difficulty: No sunsets or sunrises.

Thanks to Lovesandwich, we will bask in the glow of his bright and shining theme!

Yugoboy
    Participant

Is it a sunrise if it’s the horizon BEFORE the sun pops up?

I’ve got some shots from Venice over some parked gondolas facing east. The sky is brightening, but there’s no sun (yet).

ennuipoet
    Participant

I read this as no photos OF the Sun rise/set, otherwise it would be very difficult to have ANY photos of the golden hours. 🙂

orionid
    Participant

I’ve got some shots from Venice over some parked gondolas facing east. The sky is brightening, but there’s no sun (yet).

I believe that’s the blue hour.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I believe that’s the blue hour.

That ^^

Yugoboy
    Participant

OK… fine… I STILL have to winnow down from the 5 I winnowed down to…

ravnostic
    Participant

Yeah, the descript says the hour aftersunrise or before sunset; so the sun needs to be in the sky. I’ll hope by then that I’ll be a little more mobile, and I’m thankful that if not, I can use the exif data and my astronomy program to determine if any of my archive shots make the grade.

Lovesandwich
    Participant

Sunset = BAD.

Crash landing in the sun by travelcedric, on Flickr

Golden Light = GOOD

Tranquility by travelcedric, on Flickr

Basically, don’t take photos of the sunset/sunrise. Look for the golden light shining down on objects, giving them that warm and wonderful glow. Golden sunlight on a building, mountain, statue, tree, whatever, as long as you aren’t shooting into a sunset/sunrise. We aren’t looking for the oranges and reds of a sunset/sunrise sky.

Hope that clears it up a bit. 😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    ravnostic
    Participant

oops. Posted based on descript in contest thread, but just read lovesammich’s comment; remove and leave me a note here as ness. and I’ll find something else if needed.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Got ’em, ravnostic. I double checked, and the theme descriptions are the same both here and the contest thread–golden hour is defined in both places as the hour after sunrise or the hour before sunset, and the time frames on all your photos place them after sunset. Obviously, that’s going to be tricky to police, and I’m not going to go looking for a hard line at 60 minutes prior to local sunset/after local sunrise, but photos taken after sunset obviously don’t qualify.

Lovesandwich
    Participant

Obviously, that’s going to be tricky to police, and I’m not going to go looking for a hard line at 60 minutes prior to local sunset/after local sunrise, but photos taken after sunset obviously don’t qualify.

The farther north (or if in Australia, south) that one goes, specially in summer, the longer the golden hour will last. Hard to judge time on a photo. 😉

linguine
    Participant

Is this too far along the sunsety line? http://www.flickr.com/photos/guine/8971080119/in/photostream

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Obviously, that’s going to be tricky to police, and I’m not going to go looking for a hard line at 60 minutes prior to local sunset/after local sunrise, but photos taken after sunset obviously don’t qualify.

The farther north (or if in Australia, south) that one goes, specially in summer, the longer the golden hour will last. Hard to judge time on a photo. 😉

Oh I agree. It’s just in this case, they were listed as being after sunset and they looked it. This is going to potentially be really difficult to draw lines for what crosses into sunset territory and what’s legit “golden hour” territory. I’ll probably err on the side of inclusion unless it’s very clearly after sunset.

As for linguine‘s question: It looks very sunsety, but I’d rather Lovesandwich make the call since it will help me see where the lines should be drawn in general.

ravnostic
    Participant

I blame the meds. 😉

//damn; I stopped taking the meds some time ago.

////I blame the Advil.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘8-28-13 – Upon Golden Light’ is closed to new replies.