8-30-2006 portraiture

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 8-30-2006 portraiture

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    monkeybort
    Participant

According to Wikipedia, portraiture is a way of recording people. Their personality, character, status, the place and time they lived, the environment in which they live or simply showing beauty.

Difficulty – no self portraits this time around

monkeybort
    Participant

just a general opinion question – i have some shots that i consider to be portraits even though it’s not a photo of someone’s face. for example – a ballet dancer’s feet. or a pregnant woman’s belly. ok, those are the two that i have. 😛

what are peoples’ thoughts on that? i feel that it captures the essence of what that person is doing at that time – their character and the place they are in their life at that moment, which (to me) qualifies it as a portrait.

Klahanie
    Participant

Sounds good to me. 🙂

ch4r7ie
    Participant

just a general opinion question – i have some shots that i consider to be portraits even though it’s not a photo of someone’s face. for example – a ballet dancer’s feet. or a pregnant woman’s belly. ok, those are the two that i have. 😛

what are peoples’ thoughts on that? i feel that it captures the essence of what that person is doing at that time – their character and the place they are in their life at that moment, which (to me) qualifies it as a portrait.

problem with that is, if you show a guy with a hammer you think

carpenter

or you show a guy with a scalpel you think doctor

but if you show a guy picking a pocket, how are you supposed to know whether it’s a congressman or a lawyer?

Klahanie
    Participant

carpenter

but if you show a guy picking a pocket, how are you supposed to know whether it’s a congressman or a lawyer?

Dead intern? Ambulance? Okay that was lame, but your joke did remind me of an old favorite.

What’s the difference between a pickpocket and a peeping Tom?

One snatches watches…

bobroberts
    Participant

My opinion: The presence of a face in the photo is not important; telling a story or conveying something about that person is what’s important.

ch4r7ie
    Participant

carpenter

Dead intern? Ambulance? Okay that was lame, but your joke did remind me of an old favorite.

One snatches watches…

yeah?

i dont get it…

swampa
    Participant

carpenter

One snatches watches…

yeah?

i dont get it…

one snatches watches, the other watches … well you can figure it out 😛

On topic – I’m not sure if I have got this weeks challenge right. I went to wiki to look up the description but that didn’t help too much.

monkeybort
    Participant

On topic – I’m not sure if I have got this weeks challenge right. I went to wiki to look up the description but that didn’t help too much.

i’m thinking of it as environmental portraits – people doing what they do, or shots of a certain sort of lifestyle, etc. like….a construction worker on a jobsite. or a CPA at a computer (oooo, exciting!). or a student in the library. or a ski instructor teaching. something like that.

swampa
    Participant

i’m thinking of it as environmental portraits – people doing what they do, or shots of a certain sort of lifestyle, etc. like….a construction worker on a jobsite. or a CPA at a computer (oooo, exciting!). or a student in the library. or a ski instructor teaching. something like that.

Thats what I was afraid of, I read headshots in the portrait wiki and ran with that (at the expense of more detail about the person)

monkeybort
    Participant

i think headshots would be fine, too – it’s a pretty loose category….

any other thoughts on that?

😛

Elsinore
    Keymaster

My opinion: The presence of a face in the photo is not important; telling a story or conveying something about that person is what’s important.

That sums it up for me too 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hmmm I considered environmental portraits but also headshots. I didn’t read it as exclusively environmental. If it was meant as such, I’d be in trouble myself 😉 But seriously, the description also mentions taking portraits for beauty, so I don’t think it’s just environmentalstuff. My 2 cents….

/0.63 cents after taxes…

monkeybort
    Participant

Hmmm I considered environmental portraits but also headshots. I didn’t read it as exclusively environmental. If it was meant as such, I’d be in trouble myself 😉 But seriously, the description also mentions taking portraits for beauty, so I don’t think it’s just environmentalstuff. My 2 cents….

/0.63 cents after taxes…

i agree, i don’t think it should be exclusively environmental. i probably just read it that way since that happens to be what most of mine are.

😛

ch4r7ie
    Participant

i think headshots would be fine, too – it’s a pretty loose category….

any other thoughts on that?

😛

headshots would be the norm i’d expect, i just did a google of portrait, all headshots…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • The topic ‘8-30-2006 portraiture’ is closed to new replies.