Adding Farktography to the Contests Tab on Fark

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Adding Farktography to the Contests Tab on Fark

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Yugoboy
    Participant

Is there anyway to list them, but non-clickably?

This would raise awareness, but keep the submission process (which is pretty standardized at this point) unaffected in any way.

The Farktophraphy tag in the (non-clickable) queue would still link to the “This Week’s Contest” over here, but people couldn’t post in the thread until 8/12 EST/EDT

Also, the “problem” with the boobies post is easily rectified as mods have the power to re-timestamp posts, allowing for them to be moved up and/or down the thread – that’s pretty much a non-issue.

Mods would, however, have to be more on the lookout for jokers who would post images that aren’t theirs (I would think). Might not happen all the time (especially in the more technical contests) but a sunset, flowers or cars contest would almost certainly have somebody trying it.

Sorry I didn’t post earlier about this, but I was wrestling pixels into place for tonight.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Ok, let me also mention that this came up because people have asked on Fark why Farktography contests aren’t on the Contest Tab. So there may actually be a subset of people who follow that tab enough that they would participate more if it were available on Fark.

So is there anyway to have the Contest Tab operate as a link into farktography.net’s page specific to that contest? Kind of a replication of the “Upcoming Events” just to the left on these pages. That way there’s no scheduling changes but people can see what’s coming up and how to participate.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Damn Yugoboy, great minds and timing, etc.

Curious
    Participant

NOTE: Combining multiple shots or elements thereof in any fashion you desire is fair game, but every pixel in your final image must have started its life as a pixel in a photo that you personally took.

that’s from tonight’s final theme description and IMO way way off what the theme started as. now it may just be me but reading through the 5 pages of comments and looking at some of the examples posted we are in PSville. if not in name then in action. that shot of the three heads by the tree with the sword is PS. and as much as i like (seriously and sincerely) yugoboys use of the wrap tool what he plans to do tonight he has entered in PS contests here and at Misfits.

and i don’t care if that’s what the community wants to do. and it’s my fault for just using filters (one each per image) before reading the contest thread.

but it personifies my feelings about how the description and the thread often diverge from each other.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Curious: People agreed to that change several pages back in the thread. This was my fault for not adding it long before now. And obviously if we move to posting the threads a week or two out, we’d have to make sure that doesn’t happen. Tonight’s change was the first late change like this we’ve happened in I can’t remember how long…

As for posting the links but not making them clickable/not allowed to post in them, I think that wouldn’t be possible without coding changes.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Curious: People agreed to that change several pages back in the thread. This was my fault for not adding it long before now. And obviously if we move to posting the threads a week or two out, we’d have to make sure that doesn’t happen. Tonight’s change was the first late change like this we’ve happened in I can’t remember how long…

As for posting the links but not making them clickable/not allowed to post in them, I think that wouldn’t be possible without coding changes.

What about clickable links to farktography? (see above comment)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The link always goes back to Farktography…to the next week’s theme.

fluffybunny
    Participant

My bad, I was assuming that you as the mod were supplying the link.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ahh, no, when you submit the headline, you have to submit the link. We always submit the link to the next theme from Farktography.net. But speaking of that…we always use the theme description page…if we start submitting the contest threads a week or two in advance, maybe we should set the link to the Farktography theme discussion thread instead of the regular theme description page….

fluffybunny
    Participant

Ahh, no, when you submit the headline, you have to submit the link. We always submit the link to the next theme from Farktography.net. But speaking of that…we always use the theme description page…if we start submitting the contest threads a week or two in advance, maybe we should set the link to the Farktography theme discussion thread instead of the regular theme description page….

That’s what I was trying to say but didn’t know how to communicate it very well.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think it would be a good idea to do it that way.

Curious
    Participant

if we start submitting the contest threads a week or two in advance, maybe we should set the link to the Farktography theme discussion thread instead of the regular theme description page….

that would work much better. you and i know what a problem it is getting folks on board with a theme, especially one with an ambivalent description.

besides once the ads start the more page views the better, right?

Yugoboy
    Participant

. . . and as much as i like (seriously and sincerely) yugoboys use of the wrap tool what he plans to do tonight he has entered in PS contests here and at Misfits.

Don’t get too excited… I’ve never photographed a dragon, so it ain’t the detailed thing I’m used to making.

My other 2 are just filtered (multiple times, but filters nonetheless)

Thanx for the compliment, BTW…

orionid
    Participant

maybe we should set the link to the Farktography theme discussion thread instead of the regular theme description page….

One thousand percent this.

Also, now that I understand the mainpage time will be constant, I’ll go back to my first idea of submitting to the queue maybe say 48-60 hours in advance. Say sometime Sunday night. Then it *should* be in the tab Monday morning when people are blowing off work. That gives them the rest of the day Monday, all day Tuesday and Wednesdays to brainstorm and shoot. I do want to leave some advantage to the lurkers and discussers over here, but if a couple day leeway for lighters can drive participation back to where it once was, then by all means let’s go.

lokisbong
    Participant

As a typically cheapskate poor person how would that work when I wasn’t a totalfarker?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • The topic ‘Adding Farktography to the Contests Tab on Fark’ is closed to new replies.