Alright all you traveling photographers..

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Alright all you traveling photographers..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    powerplantgirl
    Participant

Okay,
    So I’ve got 2 ginormous family events one week apart and a business trip to Virginia planned all for end of July/August. For all of you guys that take your cameras on the plane, what should I know about carrying them with me? I haven’t ever gone through security with a ton of lenses or my camera so I’m not sure what they’re gonna require or want besides me taking off my shoes.

Help?
    Tips?
    Anyone have any extra tranquilizers?
    I hate planes. Hate hate hate hate hate hate.

linguine
    Participant

Ive never had any problems with carrying a camera through security, although ive never taken a lot of lenses with me but i doubt the number will matter as long as they fit in your carry on bag. For the flight i just put my camera in a backpack and tuck it under my seat figuring my camera would be less likely to get jostled around or anything there.

millera9
    Participant

Yeah, I just did my first flight with the full camera bag a few weeks ago. Nobody even looked twice. Besides, it isn’t illegal to own a camera. If they ask you any questions, just let them look through the bag and answer their questions honestly. You’re an amateur photographer and you’re going to an important event that you’re going to be photographing, so you have all your equipment with you.

Don’t fret about it, and have a good time!

Claff
    Participant

I have a camera bag that holds two bodies, two additional lenses, the SB600 flash and a buttload of accessories and it’s never had an issue going through airport security, and it’s gone through quite a few times.

Uranus
    Participant

….and, apparently a camera bag is always considered hand luggage, and generally not subject to those finicky size restrictions…..

powerplantgirl
    Participant

Well thanks for the info all!
    I guess I was more worried about having to take crap apart or not being able to take it for some stupid reason. My camera bag is a backpack that has a whole bottom for storage, so I think it’ll be good.

millera9
    Participant

I’ve had them balk at my laptop a couple times but all they do is ask if they can open the bag and inspect the contents. They pull you off to one side, and a guy with latex gloves on takes a close look at the thing, inspects the serial numbers, looks at the battery case and the keyboard, and then hands it back to you once he’s satisfied. I assume that the same will happen with a camera. It’s a hassle, but what isn’t a hassle at airports these days? The best thing you can do is cooperate totally and take it in stride.

Of course, now that I’ve said all that, they’re going to kick me off my flight to Trinidad on Tuesday for all my equipment! I’m so freaking excited. I’m actually going somewhere specifically to take photos of the RO plant there! Yay! It’s almost like being a real photographer!!!

QuickSilver
    Participant

One other quick observation that I have about airport security and anything electronic. In most cases they have made me turn the blasted things on to prove that they were what they appeared to be. Things such as PDAs, Laptops, cell phones, game boys you know the drill. Just be sure that anything you take is charged up or you have a plug in adapter. Just a thought 😉

staplermofo
    Participant

On planes:
    Shooting -> taking pictures
    Bodies -> cameras
    buttload -> a lot
    tranquilizers -> ubiquitous OTC of questionable efficacy

millera9
    Participant

the bomb -> really good
    a drink -> all the mini-bottles of Stoli you can chug before passing out

XenPix
    Participant

Last time I took a camera on the plane in the USA, they made me take a picture to show it was real. That was it.

Not sure if it’s changed since security has been tightened, they didn’t check when I went to spain.

schnee
    Participant

The only trouble I had was when I tried to bring a hex wrench on board (it’s for my ballhead). I forgot it was in my camera backpack and they made be throw it out.

Lesson, be careful of the tools.

powerplantgirl
    Participant

Good one schnee.
    Thanks for the help, all. I guess I should make sure the battery’s charged in case I have to turn it on, too. Maybe they’ll drop my 55-200mm lens cause it’s sure acting funky!

Curious
    Participant

i’m guessing you mean the TSA.

schnee
    Participant

i’m guessing you mean the TSA.

Language, thy name is ambiguousity. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Alright all you traveling photographers..’ is closed to new replies.