Bit the bullet on a new image processing PC…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Bit the bullet on a new image processing PC…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

My wife’s old dually has developed motherboard issues, so she’s getting my old quad w/4G. Which forces me into a new build about 4 months before I had planned. 🙁

The happy news is more horsepower… 3.4GHz PhenomIIx4 Black, 16G of DDR3 1600, nVidia GTX 460 and an additional TB of storage for about a grand.

THAT aughtta hopefully keep me from running out of resources for a while.

Curious
    Participant

well except money 🙂

i added a quad core to this one a while back and more RAM and unless or until the investment in powerball tickets pays off that’s it for now.

chupathingie
    Participant

well except money 🙂

That’s the painful truth of it. I’ve been working like a plowhorse for the past few months and throwing all my O.T. at getting debts killed off. Breaking out the credit card for this was uncomfortable to say the least. If I’m lucky, this rig will keep me satisfied for the same 3 years the last one did.

ravnostic
    Participant

well except money 🙂

That’s the painful truth of it. I’ve been working like a plowhorse for the past few months and throwing all my O.T. at getting debts killed off. Breaking out the credit card for this was uncomfortable to say the least. If I’m lucky, this rig will keep me satisfied for the same 3 years the last one did.

Tell me about it. I’ve busted my arse for 6 months working toward the debtless goal, as the wage at my job is not what I earned before getting laid off from the last one. Spared no expense (for new toys, that is, except the $45 A. Darlot find at the estate sale–worth every penny and then some.

OT is now over. Debts are not, and now I have to figure out how to pay what I owe with what I make without the OT.

Thankfully, two of the few expenditures toward my own personal satisfaction during the OT times were a Tb ancillary drive (now 10% full, though I could certainly–and should certainly–weed that down a bit before it gets mind-boggling to do so) and upgrading from 2 to 4 gigs RAM. Though my ‘puter is now over 3 years old, I had (by the time of purchase) learned to avoid the bugs and viruses, and ‘Precious’ still runs like a champ.

And me, without even virus protection software to slow me down.

My ‘secret’ is ‘ZoneAlarmPro’. Nothing comes in or out without my say-so, and I finally learned enough to say ‘So’ and keep my ‘puter clean. Best $30 annual investment, evar.

chupathingie
    Participant

I’ve got 4G in my current rig, but then I caught the “hi-rez images” bug. What a slap-down that was. Multiple 120meg tiffs being fed into the works made very short work of it. This build would have only cost me $500 but for the RAM. $114 per 4G stick, so 4 of those added up in a hurry. Makes me glad Newegg didn’t have any boards capable of 32G… the Mad Scientist in me was seriously considering it.

Even tho OT seems a continuous option where I work (all ya gotta do is answer the home phone when it rings…something breaks every day), I seriously need some time off. There are so many weekend road trips to some amazing SW scenic spots that I want to do mad-crazy 500MP images of.

Curious
    Participant

I’ve got 4G in my current rig,

Makes me glad Newegg didn’t have any boards capable of 32G… the Mad Scientist in me was seriously considering it.

i went from 2 to 4 here but running XP Pro i don’t get to use it all.

man i have a love hate with newegg. those email deals means my desk has drool in it all the time.

orionid
    Participant

*drool*
    I haven’t upgraded my machine since I built it in 2004. Sometimes I feel like the worst geek ever. A new machine is on the backburner though, I just have too many other things I’m rolling pennies for right now.

olavf
    Participant

*sigh* that’s my next project. Server(s) have been upgraded, laptop desperately needs to be replaced, but the desktop is six years old and I haven’t done a damned thing to it in that time. Plus, the kids have been abusing it :/

I really want to get the dual-monitor action going when I’m editing though. And the screens are infinitely nicer than this POS laptop. I think I can get by starting with just a new proc and RAM (I have a motherboard…) =P

chupathingie
    Participant

I think I can get by starting with just a new proc and RAM (I have a motherboard…) =P

That was my original plan, but with the wife’s PC going out, she gets all the innards from my current rig. At least this way I wound up with an upgrade to DDR3 and at twice the freq as well.

Someday I’ll be calling Astronomics for some hardware, but not if I have to keep updating the home PC front…

olavf
    Participant

That was my original plan, but with the wife’s PC going out, she gets all the innards from my current rig. At least this way I wound up with an upgrade to DDR3 and at twice the freq as well.

Someday I’ll be calling Astronomics for some hardware, but not if I have to keep updating the home PC front…

I have….a lot of computer stuff :/ I have an Atom-based PC and another full kit that’s 90% together that are just sitting around. The one that’ll probably go in the desktop was in my server, but I thought it was wonky so I replaced it, and lost the receipt :/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Bit the bullet on a new image processing PC…’ is closed to new replies.