Canon 200DG gear bag.

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Canon 200DG gear bag.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Just got this, replacing my 1st camera bag as I grew out of it:

This thing is huge. The firm-bodied portion of the bag, interior, matches the 10″x7″x7″ described in the ads. But with the outer poscets and such, it’s more like 14″x9″X9″.

Easily holding my EOS body and 5 ‘lenses’, plus the Darlot Project (still in progress, but it fits), battery charger, and all the other assorted hoods and things one accumulates.

$70 included shipping; could’a got it cheaper, I guess, but I haz had the Smeagols at the time and wantzed it then and now.

Seems well-built; real metal parts for most latches/bag strap. *like*

Curious
    Participant

darned good thing you don’t have a film camera or you couldn’t have used this bag.

with my camera bag i reverse what they label the mesh pocket and front pocket for.

olavf
    Participant

Nice!

I’ve got their backpack, and it’s got tons of room – even enough space to squeeze a 3n1 reflector in there.

My only complaint about that one is that it’s got the word “Canon” written in large, mugger-friendly letters on the cover. One of these days I’ll have to see if I can remove them without damaging the bag…

ennuipoet
    Participant

Nice!

I’ve got their backpack, and it’s got tons of room – even enough space to squeeze a 3n1 reflector in there.

My only complaint about that one is that it’s got the word “Canon” written in large, mugger-friendly letters on the cover. One of these days I’ll have to see if I can remove them without damaging the bag…

That’s why I stopped going with any gear that has a manufacturer logo, I walk alone at all hours in NYC and having a “Mug Me” bag is just not good mojo. I’ve two bags that I work out of my Kata DR-467″

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-DR-467-Digital-Rucksack/dp/B000VW6KXS

Carries EVERYTHING, five lenses, two bodies, flash, tripod tied on, power supply and card, the laptop section holds reflectors and backdrops. I could fit a Full Frame in the bottom without the lens attached. This bag is a beast, but even when fully packed it doesn’t look like a camera bag. I only carry this on long hauls when I am not sure what I am shooting or I know that I am going to need EVERYTHING.

Daily I carry the 50D, Sigma 24-70 and EFL 70-200 in my Velocity 7

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-Velocity-Photo-Sling-Black/dp/B000P3ZB42/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301360155&sr=1-1

I looks like a lunch bag and holds my gear comfortably. It is also reasonably weatherproofed. Being without a car means I have to carry light enough and small enough to ride public transit without killing people with my gear. I usually carry a man purse/messenger bag where I chuck a film camera and extra film if I feel like going old school.

Not matter what, pull off or tape over your logos, they are a red flag for thieves.

zincprincess
    Participant

This was a Christmas gift from dear husband. My first thought was that I will be advertising that I have all my camera shit in a bag and asking to be knocked over the head. I didn’t have the heart to return it. It will be awesome when I want to carry all the gear I own plus a laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Backpack-DSLR-Lenses-Laptop/dp/B000WZV5FW

The downside is the front lens pouch. It holds a lot but if you are absent-minded and pick the bag up with the flap open, you’ll fling your crap out on to the ground. Incidentally this is how my external flash earned a trip to Nikon service. I think I’m going to buy this for a quick trip bag. I tend to go out with one lens and shoot with it the whole day.

ravnostic
    Participant

Gee–I was all proud to have the ‘Canon’ logo on my bag–but then I can see the point about its making it a target for theft. I’ll consider removing it. I might not remove it–but I’ll consider it. 🙂

lokisbong
    Participant

I usually carry my camera gear around in a Lowepro camera backpack. It’s not quite stealth but at least it doesn’t scream Canon to any potential thieves. You would have to know camera bag brands at least to know it’s not just a back pack. On the down side it is not the easiest to get to the camera if you are in a hurry to get a shot and the camera is not already out.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Gee–I was all proud to have the ‘Canon’ logo on my bag–but then I can see the point about its making it a target for theft. I’ll consider removing it. I might not remove it–but I’ll consider it. 🙂

Speaking of logos and getting rid of them, save your neck and toss the Canon/Nikon Neck Strangler and get yourself one of these:

http://optechusa.com/straps/classic-strap.html

20 bucks, for sheer comfort of this strap it is worth ten time that. I can spend six or more hours at a time with a camera around my neck, this makes it bearable plus the neoprene whisks away the sweat.

And, I give free advertising to no one*. If Canon wants to pay me money to wear their billboards, that is a different story.

/*not even a logo on tshirt

orionid
    Participant

I usually carry my camera gear around in a Lowepro camera backpack. It’s not quite stealth but at least it doesn’t scream Canon to any potential thieves. You would have to know camera bag brands at least to know it’s not just a back pack. On the down side it is not the easiest to get to the camera if you are in a hurry to get a shot and the camera is not already out.

This. Except my bag’s a Targus which says “laptop” to people who know the brand. Although, 90% of the time, if someone mugged me for the bag, all they’d get would be my dirty gym clothes.

Re: Straps, my N65 has an aftermarket tamron strap that’s super comfy. The only reason it hasn’t moved to the D90 yet is that I’m too lazy. I also want to start putting these on all my camera bodies. Every once in a while, one will slip through the cracks at fleabay for $10 or so, I just haven’t managed to get my timing right, yet.

olavf
    Participant

Oooh. I *like* that Kata bag. The Caselogic one linked off the Amazon page might be even more tempting though – likin’ that tripod strap on it. May have to get one of those before we (ugh) have to fly in May. I don’t like letting any of my gear out of my sight when I travel…

I tend to carry a couple of lenses around, at least, but generally drag the bulk of my stuff with, hence the backpack (with the exception of the tripod, because I don’t have a convenient way to carry it). I never quite seem to know what I’m going to need.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’ve got a big ole vintage Hippie Strap on the Yashica Mat, it came with an old Pentax I bought but I wanted it on the Tank for safety. My AE-1 still has the original Hippie Strap my Mom put on almost thirty years ago. Truth be told it needs replacing but I can’t bring myself to do it.

Curious
    Participant

i too have a hippy strap. bought aftermarket 35 years ago. doesn’t get used much since i generally take the whole bag when i go photoing.

olavf i have a home made draw string bad with sling made from parachute nylon for the tripod and monopod. it hangs quiver like across my back and doesn’t really get in the way and is pretty light.

ravnostic
    Participant

who’da thunk a post about a camera bag would spark so much conversation?

//Gawd, we’re a bunch of geeks.

////Fortunately, I think ‘Glee’ makes that a cool thing, these days. Anyone care to break out in song?

olavf
    Participant

i too have a hippy strap. bought aftermarket 35 years ago. doesn’t get used much since i generally take the whole bag when i go photoing.

olavf i have a home made draw string bad with sling made from parachute nylon for the tripod and monopod. it hangs quiver like across my back and doesn’t really get in the way and is pretty light.

Cool. I’ll have to consider that for Kat, since she prefers the shoulder bag. I like the backpack partially because it doesn’t throw my weight off-center.

sleeping
    Participant

(with the exception of the tripod, because I don’t have a convenient way to carry it)

Homemade Tripod Strap 1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Canon 200DG gear bag.’ is closed to new replies.