Collaborative photo gallery hosts

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Collaborative photo gallery hosts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    fluffybunny
    Participant

I’d like to ask for y’alls advice.

I will be involved in organizing a photo walk soon. I’d like to find an easy way for the people who attend to share their work. There is no pre-existing photo related community to leverage (although it may develop as time goes on), nor is there a current digital infrastructure to build on easily. I expect the participants to come from a wide range of experience, from total noob to pro level. Some will have little experience in the digital realm (aka internet, social media, and so on), some will have flickr or google+ accounts already.

So given the unknown future of the event and the undefined experience of the participants, you can see my dilemma.

I found http://dropevent.com/ which seems like a good fit. Does anybody have experience with them or some alternative?

Yugoboy
    Participant

I was going to suggest starting a blogspot blog and opening it up to participants to contribute to. I know you’d have to play with the permissions and stuff, but it’s another option.

The thing you found looks like it is probably easier to set up for your purposes.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Yeah, I want to keep this thing “least common denominator” until I know where it’s going.

ravnostic
    Participant

I have to say, G+ is built for this. Most of us create a community forum to share photos within. But it may be too much for the newbs to handle.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I have to say, G+ is built for this. Most of us create a community forum to share photos within. But it may be too much for the newbs to handle.

It might be a place to “wind up” if this thing takes off.

Do you know if google retains the “derivative works” rights still? I’m kind of leery of that. Truth be told, I have not taken the time to see if it is an important consideration since I found a web host with which it is a non-issue.

ravnostic
    Participant

My personal stuff I host with GoDaddy, and of course the content is my own. My understanding with G+ is I do maintain my rights, unless expressed otherwise. Pro photos like Trey Ratcliff, Colby Brown, and Thomas Hawke (whom I’ll be touring around next Monday shooting neon :o) ) post there; if it’s good enough for them…

fluffybunny
    Participant

Well Rav,..

I played around with dropevent.com and it does not even come close, so I think I’m at least going to take a test plunge into google+

I’m not a big social network person but it looks like it will do what I have in mind (post photos in a private group, allow for discourse between participants).

Any pointers for a noob?

ravnostic
    Participant

Find me there! U-Man, Else, Kes, Orionid…Ennui (I think); a whole bunch of us are there. I’m under my ‘real’ name, though; Russ Vallelunga. YOu’ll recognize my profile picture. :o)

Barracuda
    Participant

I’m on G+ also, I like it, communities work pretty well, and I think are quite well suited for your needs.

orionid
    Participant

Find me there! U-Man, Else, Kes, Orionid…Ennui (I think); a whole bunch of us are there. I’m under my ‘real’ name, though; Russ Vallelunga. YOu’ll recognize my profile picture. :o)

Yar. Real name. David Buckwalter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Collaborative photo gallery hosts’ is closed to new replies.