Displaying places in the voting results page

Forums Forums Get Technical Software Displaying places in the voting results page

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    kashari
    Participant

Ahhh, ok, thanks Kestrana & Orionid!

Now that I think about this some more, why does it work that way? Why isn’t there a tie for each place without skipping the subsequent places? Or is that just the way the FSM works?

Curious
    Participant

thanks for the script CauseISaidSo. did as was suggested and made it a bookmark and have used it for this weeks contest and some photoshop contests. works fine.

Curious
    Participant

Now that I think about this some more, why does it work that way? Why isn’t there a tie for each place without skipping the subsequent places? Or is that just the way the FSM works?

there is a tie, that what caused the skip. there was a raging debate recently in the PSAEF about the best way to list ties and this method won out. more by default but it does have it’s fans. me included.

kashari
    Participant

there is a tie, that what caused the skip. there was a raging debate recently in the PSAEF about the best way to list ties and this method won out. more by default but it does have it’s fans. me included.

What is the PSAEF? Maybe I should read that and see if it helps clarify it because I still don’t get why a place gets skipped and I don’t want to jack this thread. Thanks!

lokisbong
    Participant

Photoshop audio edit forum on fark.

Curious
    Participant

What is the PSAEF? Maybe I should read that and see if it helps clarify it because I still don’t get why a place gets skipped and I don’t want to jack this thread. Thanks!

it’s the PhotoShop and Audio Edit Form forum on fark where all the cool (or is it kewl?) kids hang out.
    http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=6
    mainly devoted to photoshop questions (audio edit contest being lacking these days) and also where the farktographers are prone to go since we don’t have an official forum on fark. it was this lack of our own forum on fark that lead to farktography.net being established. plus with this site we can have many threads rather than a disjointed thread with many subjects.

now when i say the PSAEF is mainly devoted to photoshop questions that is a bit of a misnomer. recently we have been talking about a members new tortoise. it’s actually a rambling open forum that is supposed to just be for photoshop and if the discussion gets to far afield Gwenny will cut you. yea for inside jokes 🙂

the question of ties and how to report them came up because one of the folks there was writing a new stats generator and wondering how to place tie votes. ie 1,2,2,2,3 or 1,2,2,2,5. the latter is what you are questioning.

as far as jacking this thread IMO placement/ties is part and parcel of the conversation.

Curious
    Participant

well you can be succinct but i prefer verbose in my answers 🙂

lokisbong
    Participant

well you can be succinct but i prefer verbose in my answers 🙂

I not good with words. Make sentence short. lol 😆
    That and I don’t frequent that side of fark very much. I probably should more often.

kashari
    Participant

😆 Thanks Curious and Lokisbong!

Phew, I’m grateful for Farktography.net rather than having everything in one thread like that. (but the tortoise is cute!) I kind of browsed the last few pages of the thread and couldn’t find the discussion, so as long as it’s ok to stay here with it, I will.

I don’t understand why skipping places would be preferred? Why not have a 3-way tie for second and then your fifth place becomes third?

orionid
    Participant

Because that person is still behind four other people, thus fifth overall.

nobigdeal
    Participant

😆 Thanks Curious and Lokisbong!

Phew, I’m grateful for Farktography.net rather than having everything in one thread like that. (but the tortoise is cute!) I kind of browsed the last few pages of the thread and couldn’t find the discussion, so as long as it’s ok to stay here with it, I will.

I don’t understand why skipping places would be preferred? Why not have a 3-way tie for second and then your fifth place becomes third?

I agree. If you have the 5th most votes you should be in 5th place.

Curious
    Participant

I agree. If you have the 5th most votes you should be in 5th place.

more succinct answers 🙂

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Brevity ftw.

olavf
    Participant

Brevity ftw.

That’s *NOT* what she said.

kashari
    Participant

But they still had the same number of votes, so that should take one place. Otherwise, it’s like two of the second place people then really come in third and fourth, instead of being tied for second. You can’t get to five without having 3 & 4, that’s illogical! 😀

It’s like you freaks that change your clocks twice a year, the sun is still in the same place, no matter what mechanical games you play! 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘Displaying places in the voting results page’ is closed to new replies.