Famous photographers posing with their most iconic photo

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Famous photographers posing with their most iconic photo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

Linky to wired magazine

These are kind of neat. The one that gave me the most pause was the shot of Greg Louganis at the 88 Olympics.

SilverStag
    Participant

I saw this earlier and wanted to post it, but had to go out. I thought it was a fascinating study. Maybe we should do something like that here.

lokisbong
    Participant

I saw this earlier and wanted to post it, but had to go out. I thought it was a fascinating study. Maybe we should do something like that here.

I’m game. are we talking our best vote getter or just our personal favorite? you suggest it and I will up vote it for sure either way. The pictures are really cool in that way of showing the photographer and his or her most famous shot.

SilverStag
    Participant

I’m game. are we talking our best vote getter or just our personal favorite? you suggest it and I will up vote it for sure either way. The pictures are really cool in that way of showing the photographer and his or her most famous shot.

OK, how do we decide ‘most famous’?

lokisbong
    Participant

I was thinking our best vote getter or just our personal favorite to open it up more for the casual types. Or if you actually have a “famous” picture ala one that has been published if it’s legal.

SilverStag
    Participant

I was thinking our best vote getter or just our personal favorite to open it up more for the casual types. Or if you actually have a “famous” picture ala one that has been published if it’s legal.

It seems to me that the highest vote getter may be a nonstarter in the sense that the voting level isn’t even across all contests. I have photos with 35 votes that one contests, and photos with 60+ that were fifth. My thinking was more that we should look at each other’s entries, and say “That’s the essential lokisbong pic or that screams orionid to me.

Something like that. We should decide what’s iconic to us, not of our own pix, but to see what we see in others.

Does that make any sense?

lokisbong
    Participant

That makes perfect sense. I think I even know at least one already that screams hey I lokisbong took that

Plamadude30k
    Participant

It seems to me that the highest vote getter may be a nonstarter in the sense that the voting level isn’t even across all contests. I have photos with 35 votes that one contests, and photos with 60+ that were fifth. My thinking was more that we should look at each other’s entries, and say “That’s the essential lokisbong pic or that screams orionid to me.

Something like that. We should decide what’s iconic to us, not of our own pix, but to see what we see in others.

Does that make any sense?

I really like that idea.

ravnostic
    Participant

Karen Kuehn’s shot. Woah. Makes me think I’m gonna bomb on ‘sleevefaced’, but whateva…

What a fantastic collection of shots!!

All but one of them–perhaps–will be gone in 25, 35 years. How powerful to have them pose for these. It think this would be an excellent idea for a contest, though the expense and time, even at Kinko’s rates, would be prohibitive to a lot of folks. Perhaps the farktography community could stage a *special event*? Not a contest, but a showcase? One photographer, one picture (personal favorite)? I dunno. I think it would be awesome. Maybe find some of those who moved on to other things brought back for it…

staplermofo
    Participant

It think this would be an excellent idea for a contest, though the expense and time, even at Kinko’s rates, would be prohibitive to a lot of folks. Perhaps the farktography community could stage a *special event*? Not a contest, but a showcase?

It’s around $10 to get a 12×18 print to your door from artscow.com
    If you’re a regular and can’t afford that, I’ll paypal you the $10.

And a nice little showcase website would be nice. We should make one.

ennuipoet
    Participant

It think this would be an excellent idea for a contest, though the expense and time, even at Kinko’s rates, would be prohibitive to a lot of folks. Perhaps the farktography community could stage a *special event*? Not a contest, but a showcase?

It’s around $10 to get a 12×18 print to your door from artscow.com
    If you’re a regular and can’t afford that, I’ll paypal you the $10.

And a nice little showcase website would be nice. We should make one.

I can also make lab qualities up 13×19 at a reasonable price plus shipping, I am betting I can get under $10 if I have more than 5 people. Good paper at the size in the 20 sheet count run around 40 bucks. Ink is variable depending on the quality of ink, Canon ink for long lasting museum quality prints is expensive, off brand for 10 years prints is considerably cheaper.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I’d spring for the ennuipoet plan if this becomes a reality.

As for where to put it… we could/should utilize one of the sub-forums here and make it a Sticky for anyone who wants to contribute. Once we reach X-number of contributions we could submit it as a mainpage link to Fark. There’s at least one Fark Mod ’round these parts, I think who could ensure a green light.

Not only would it be a neat project, it could help drive a little more traffic here… not everyone who contributes on Wednesdays/Thursdays frequents this place (I think)… hell… I don’t think they infrequent it, either!

SilverStag
    Participant

I’m glad to see this get some traction!

It comes down to the picking. If we choose personal favorites, that’s easier (although I’d have a hard time pickin from all my chilluns :), but I’d like to see a way to upvote/select others’ work.

fluffybunny
    Participant

It comes down to the picking. If we choose personal favorites, that’s easier (although I’d have a hard time pickin from all my chilluns :), but I’d like to see a way to upvote/select others’ work.

How about the Farktographer picks three from their portfolio and posts them, the community then picks the final one?

SilverStag
    Participant

How about the Farktographer picks three from their portfolio and posts them, the community then picks the final one?

Let’s try it:

A)

Union Station, Indianapolis by pjern, on Flickr

B)

FreakOut! by pjern, on Flickr

C)

Mother and Daughter by pjern, on Flickr

I don’t know. I picked my favorites of my contest winners, but I could make an argument for me liking many of my shots that gathered a top-ten placement.

So which would you pick of the three, or alternatively, off my bibliostats page?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • The topic ‘Famous photographers posing with their most iconic photo’ is closed to new replies.