Farking IPADS!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    fluffybunny
    Participant

Some of them are down right dicks about it. I’ve never heard a writer cut another writer down because of the pen they use, but I hear it with cameras.

I refer you to:
    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com

Most of the people I run with IRL photog wise are all just as amateur as I am, so very much like here we learn a lot from each other.

Most of my friends are writers, designers or academics and the infusion of their out of field creativity is way more stimulating than a bunch of photographers sitting around grousing over equipment

This. I try to keep an open mind about most things and part of the fun I derive from photography is the inspiration I receive from others, regardless of their background.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I think there should be at least one, probably two persons in my RL microcosm genuinely interested in learning/sharing something, strictly speaking about photography. I just haven’t met them yet. On the other hand, I’m becoming a better observer, now I can almost instantly sense it when people just want to talk about themselves. Yes, that’s not bad or good, it just is. It occurred to me that maybe I too wanted to talk about myself, which is why I decided to just play along, and if/when needed, engage.

It’s odd, I know a lot photographers here in NYC but none of them are people I socialize with, we are almost friendly competitors. We talk a little shop at events but when it is all said and done we go our separate ways. I like it that way. Most of my friends are writers, designers or academics and the infusion of their out of field creativity is way more stimulating than a bunch of photographers sitting around grousing over equipment, which is what most of the other photogs I’ve hung with spend their time doing.

Some of them are down right dicks about it. I’ve never heard a writer cut another writer down because of the pen they use, but I hear it with cameras.

Same here. I know several photogs and they all eye each other with suspicion. Even had one go so far as to plagiarize an entire page off my website. Like I wouldn’t notice…

My favorite thing of all time though is the “you take great photos, you must have a good camera” line. My standard arrogant douchebag response is “yea I do, and I know how to use it.”

The world is so over saturated with bad photography that i think people don’t recognize quality work unless it is side by side with the bad.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I mean I josh people about the Canon/Nikon thing, and I hate on Instagram but it’s not personal.

Except for Sony users…you people are the devil. The literal devil, you are in league with the darkness! 👿

I would hate on Leica people, but I do not meet the minimum fiscal level to even speak of them, much less TO them.

Seriously, my relationship with other photogs I meet in NYC is cordial and most of us on the streets are not competing with one another for contracts or commissions, we are small fish. Some of the Pro Press guys are really awesome, but they are a rare breed in general these days. I know one shooter who is a stringer for the Daily News and Post who has used his Press Credentials to get me into a few events as his assistant. He’s been shooting in NYC for 30 years and is full of stories about the old days. Other Press Pro just ignore you if they don’t recognize you.

The little fish can be the real dicks, I had a guy last week at the Dance Parade who intentionally jumped in front of every shot I was taking and followed me from block to block…I don’t know WHY he did this, but he sure as hell did. I finally ditched him or he got tired of the game. I figure why get in a fight over it, just work around him.

emiliogtz
    Participant

The little fish can be the real dicks.

Precisely. The less talented a photographer is, the more likely he/she is to be a dick.

My wife knows a couple of experienced, talented guys who are very nice and from them you can actually learn something.

Little fish think gear=talent;

emiliogtz
    Participant

My favorite thing of all time though is the “you take great photos, you must have a good camera” line. My standard arrogant douchebag response is “yea I do, and I know how to use it.”

Soon it could be “you take great photos, you must use a good app” and then we’ll think of the “good camera” days as the golden age.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Little fish think gear=talent;

I had a guy once tell me I could never take a “good picture” until I bought a 5D.

So I smacked with my portfolio and stole his camera.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I had a guy once tell me I could never take a “good picture” until I bought a 5D.

Robert Frank
    http://www.transmopolis.com/2009/09/robert-franks-masterpiece-the-americans-at-50/

Alfred Eisenstaedt
    http://www.famousphotographers125.com/alfred-eisenstaedt.htm

Leica rangefinder

Where’s your gear God now?

ennuipoet
    Participant

Robert Frank
    http://www.transmopolis.com/2009/09/robert-franks-masterpiece-the-americans-at-50/

Alfred Eisenstaedt
    http://www.famousphotographers125.com/alfred-eisenstaedt.htm

Leica rangefinder

Where’s your gear God now?

I would give my left testicle for a Leica, since it is the slacker testicle and really does nothing but watch football and eat cheeze doodles, but I would not pay the exorbitant prices for a Leica.

Yugoboy
    Participant

My biggest problem with the iPhone/iPad people isn’t the fact that they’re shooting with them. It’s the people who believe their iDevice is going to turn out pictures as good as my DSLR.

It may be the user not the tool, but I’m still going to have trouble writing a book with a crayon. It can be done, but a pen or pencil will produce better results.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I would give my left testicle for a Leica, since it is the slacker testicle and really does nothing but watch football and eat cheeze doodles, but I would not pay the exorbitant prices for a Leica.

I understand (though don’t agree with) the high prices for Leica. I was trying to find the simplest camera used by an excellent photographer but ran out of time and it was the closest I could get.

My general take on any tool is I like it to be capable of producing better work than I can. That way I can grow into it.

ennuipoet
    Participant

My biggest problem with the iPhone/iPad people isn’t the fact that they’re shooting with them. It’s the people who believe their iDevice is going to turn out pictures as good as my DSLR.

It may be the user not the tool, but I’m still going to have trouble writing a book with a crayon. It can be done, but a pen or pencil will produce better results.

Indeed, I received and email from my client this morning, she has decided to with her shots on the Ipad as they give her a look and feel more in line with her creative vision. Fair enough, I can’t complain about that. If you creative vision is blurry, low resolution, poor framed and lit shots who am I to complain, I just cash my check put my shots in my portfolio and call it a day. When the book publishers return her shots as insufficient to meet print standards, well, I am going to need to some more money. (Not really, it is friend of mine, but I WILL say I told you so.)

I understand (though don’t agree with) the high prices for Leica. I was trying to find the simplest camera used by an excellent photographer but ran out of time and it was the closest I could get.

My general take on any tool is I like it to be capable of producing better work than I can. That way I can grow into it.

The Leica is a brilliantly simple camera, no zooms but shoe leather, rugged as all hell and zero bells and whistles (at least on the older models) and is perfect example of how gear isn’t relevant to quality. Unfortunately, Leica’s mystique has simply shot beyond all reality price wise, you are not paying for an excellent camera, you are paying for the name Leica.

Would still take one if someone offered it to me!

emiliogtz
    Participant

Indeed, I received and email from my client this morning, she has decided to with her shots on the Ipad as they give her a look and feel more in line with her creative vision. Fair enough, I can’t complain about that.

This is as interesting as it is dumb. So what did she hired you for? Was she trying to prove something?

Unfortunately, Leica’s mystique has simply shot beyond all reality price wise, you are not paying for an excellent camera, you are paying for the name Leica.

On one hand you have people buying cheap cameras and using them for everything, even jobs other tools handle better; on the other hand, a bunch of people are paying through the roof for a very versatile, well made tool, just to put it on a shelf.

ennuipoet
    Participant

This is as interesting as it is dumb. So what did she hired you for? Was she trying to prove something?

I honestly don’t know.

orionid
    Participant

Unfortunately, Leica’s mystique has simply shot beyond all reality price wise, you are not paying for an excellent camera, you are paying for the name Leica.

On one hand you have people buying cheap cameras and using them for everything, even jobs other tools handle better; on the other hand, a bunch of people are paying through the roof for a very versatile, well made tool, just to put it on a shelf.

I am, in fact, guilty of using a Sears Tower/Mamaiya as a hammer in a pinch. But hey, the aperture blades were already stuck shut, it was a 126 cartridge camera I’d probably never convert, and the thing was built from solid steel.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The topic ‘Farking IPADS!’ is closed to new replies.