Goodbye to Scarlet R’s?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Goodbye to Scarlet R’s?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I don’t know if this is permanent or a one-off trial, but for this most recent contest (the 8th anniversary), Fark rehosted all of our entries on img.fark.net.

Take a look at the source behind your entries – you’ll see that no matter what link you used originally to point to your photo, it now looks something like this:

http://img.fark.net/images/cache/850/q/qF/qFL0v6WEKFCGiv_gnZMmLkkYUeE.jpg?t=16q6yB8TpkM_OFyVmLyekA&f=1369022400

I looked at the latest photoshop contest and it’s still using original source links, so like I said, I don’t know if this is temporary or permanent or maybe even just for farktography.

While it brings the benefit of no broken images in contest pages (when the original submitter deletes the source) and prevents replacement of an image with inappropriate content, I think it raises a couple of questions:

• Since the submitter loses the ability to remove the original source (either while the contest is in progress or later), are we in a sense losing control of our creative works once submitted? Even if so, since nothing can really ever be completely erased from the internet anyway, is the loss meaningful?
    • Are there plans or perhaps already implementations that make use of this content other than for display in the original contest?

There’s also the issue hinted at in this thread’s title: Since every entry now has a unique file name, automatic scanning for reposts is impossible.

Thoughts?

fluffybunny
    Participant

Somebody (Yugoboy maybe) in a different thread here told of a Fark party where he was talking to Drew (and someone else) and that they mentioned that they were going to start hosting images. This is completely from memory so I could be way off base. If accurate, perhaps related to your observations.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Not me. Somebody else. I remember the comment, but it weren’t me.

As for “no more scarlet R’s” I can say that some people have a gift. Elsinore caught one I didn’t know I had done. I definitely used a different file name, because I use “Save For Web” and name each one for the contest it goes with, so the two files had different names, but she figured it out anyway.

While it will end the practice of auto-scanning for them, I think that if/when the image is good enough (and even when it ain’t) most of the time people with better attention to detail than I will be able to figure it out.

swampa
    Participant

It just means you have to up your game CISS.

I expect the Bibliostats site to implement a multi-point image comparison tool that can be run across with web showing how well it compares to each of the images in your database by next week!

/Noooo I haven’t been watching too many of those CSI shows, why do you ask?
    //I’m joking 😛

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Somebody (Yugoboy maybe) in a different thread here told of a Fark party where he was talking to Drew (and someone else) and that they mentioned that they were going to start hosting images. This is completely from memory so I could be way off base. If accurate, perhaps related to your observations.

Yeah, I remember that; it was yoyo. I didn’t link the two because I assumed that meant a site where one’s images could be hosted and not a site that was going to host all images.

As for “no more scarlet R’s” I can say that some people have a gift. Elsinore caught one I didn’t know I had done. I definitely used a different file name, because I use “Save For Web” and name each one for the contest it goes with, so the two files had different names, but she figured it out anyway.

I’ve done that (caught a renamed repost) several times myself and based on my experience, you should consider Els’ catch of your repost a compliment – it means the original made enough of an impression to be memorable.

While it will end the practice of auto-scanning for them, I think that if/when the image is good enough (and even when it ain’t) most of the time people with better attention to detail than I will be able to figure it out.

Yeah, but that’s really not an easy task, even when you have a suspicion and then have to go verify or refute it.

I expect the Bibliostats site to implement a multi-point image comparison tool that can be run across with web showing how well it compares to each of the images in your database by next week!

If only it paid the bills, I’d jump on that request. It’d be an interesting task. But, that actually is on the long-range plans for the site. I’ve already found an opensource library that more or less calculates a “fingerprint” of an image that can be compared with others to determine likeness. If image rehosting becomes permanent, I may have to up its priority in the implementation queue.

Yoyo
    Participant

So there I was, it was early April, 2013, in New Orleans. The Big Easy. Mardi Gras central. Bourbon Street. We were all upstairs in a rented room above some cheap gin joint that sold overpriced hooch to tourists with more money that taste, and who should I run into but the legen-wait-for-it-dary Drew Curtis of Drew Curtis’ Fark.com (not to be confused with the similarly sounding named but entirely different yet still copyrighted Farktography.net) and his faithful (and perhaps now much more network savvy) sidekick Mike Andrews. I was packing my Canon model T2i, and that night she was sporting the Tamron 10-24 zoom and 580EX Speedlite. You heard that right. I was armed for party pics, and party pics I got (including a couple shots of some groomsmen flashing their buttocks that are a bit too scary for the light of day or sober minds). So the three of us were bellied up to the bar and the topic of conversation turned to a filehost for the photos of this epic rager that will be known in the annals of history as FarkConIII or maybe Fark World Party New Orleans Edition (we’re really not settled on a name yet, and the thing has been over for about 5 weeks now). Anyway, to make a long story short, Drew and Mike said that since bandwidth was now so cheap, Fark might start hosting images itself. It’s true, I tell you. I heard it with my own ears. And I’ve got the pics to prove it. (I’m just not sure which thread I put a link to them in.)
    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/index.html?w=AAA9k3qmfHqHxdhmMRV7GCJFIret3gtpdFEvm7b_D9CKRw (56k Beware!)

The End.

ravnostic
    Participant

So there I was, it was early April, 2013, in New Orleans. The Big Easy. Mardi Gras central. Bourbon Street. We were all upstairs in a rented room above some cheap gin joint that sold overpriced hooch to tourists with more money that taste, and who should I run into but the legen-wait-for-it-dary Drew Curtis of Drew Curtis’ Fark.com (not to be confused with the similarly sounding named but entirely different yet still copyrighted Farktography.net) and his faithful (and perhaps now much more network savvy) sidekick Mike Andrews. I was packing my Canon model T2i, and that night she was sporting the Tamron 10-24 zoom and 580EX Speedlite. You heard that right. I was armed for party pics, and party pics I got (including a couple shots of some groomsmen flashing their buttocks that are a bit too scary for the light of day or sober minds). So the three of us were bellied up to the bar and the topic of conversation turned to a filehost for the photos of this epic rager that will be known in the annals of history as FarkConIII or maybe Fark World Party New Orleans Edition (we’re really not settled on a name yet, and the thing has been over for about 5 weeks now). Anyway, to make a long story short, Drew and Mike said that since bandwidth was now so cheap, Fark might start hosting images itself. It’s true, I tell you. I heard it with my own ears. And I’ve got the pics to prove it. (I’m just not sure which thread I put a link to them in.)
    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/index.html?w=AAA9k3qmfHqHxdhmMRV7GCJFIret3gtpdFEvm7b_D9CKRw (56k Beware!)

The End.

I’m sold. 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Goodbye to Scarlet R’s?’ is closed to new replies.