Great southern ice storm 2013

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Great southern ice storm 2013

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Barracuda
    Participant

Been iced in for 24hrs now, suspect it’ll be another 24-48hrs till things start to resume as normal in DFW. The good news is that we’ve had power at the house throughout this, unlike many friends in the area that are or were without power at some point since this mess started yesterday evening. Other good news is that I’m catching up on processing shots some, and even ventured out today for a bit to get some shots of the house/plants/etc encased in ice.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102637182371352471338/WinterStormDec2013#

Yugoboy
    Participant

Neat! We haven’t had a cool ice storm since I got my dSLR – not that’s I’m complaining, mind you… I’ve been cheering for global warming to reach my corner of the world for years, now.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Right there with ya Cuda, we live on a road that does not get sanded and has some ‘nice’ (cyclist terms) hills that crest at 15 mph (per the yellow DOT signs) 90 degree corners. Lacking 4wd and even with, this scenario plus ice is not nice. Catching up on computer maintenance and projects. We have power and internet. Oh yeah,.. food, water and shelter too.

While I have you here, I am in the process of inheriting ‘the website’ for our volunteer organization. I don’t know much about how the previous admin runs it yet other than it’s all hand built using an old copy of FrontPage.

I’d like to modernize it, add features that will support our little community (like forums, photos, news and so on) and promote interactivity. The last time I worked on a web project I used LAMP overlaid with Drupal (a couple of years ago).

What is your sage wisdom for a amateur admin?

Barracuda
    Participant

fluffy, there are lots of quality CMS software out there these days to quickly build just about any sort of community site you’re aiming for. I don’t have much experience in any of them beyond WordPress though which I use for jonpfischer.com, all my other websites are hand-crafted software applications.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Thnx, I’ll probably head in that direction since it’s what I already know.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

‘Cuda and fluffy, we ended up on the sleet+snow side of the line this time, but we got your side of it back in Dec of 2007, so I know what you’re going through. We were without power for 3 days on that one, so it’s good that you both still have power & internet. Stay safe & warm!

Barracuda
    Participant

Never lost power here, know plenty of people who did however. Been making the most of the time off work and such inside by catching up on some processing work:

fluffybunny
    Participant

Finally made it out to the main road yesterday. Gonna have to get me a 4×4 at some point in the future. Never lost power thank God.

Yugoboy
    Participant

May I recommend a Jeep Wrangler? Make sure to get a soft top for those days when it’s not 20 and blizzarding. It is the single most fun vehicle I have ever driven. My only complaint would be I need louder speakers for when I do have the top down. The 4WD works great on the fly, has optional 4Low for when you are really stuck, and will fit in any neighborhood from East St. Louis to Beverly Hills.

I love my Wrangler more than any other car I have ever owned, and will own no other until I’m too old to climb up in one.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I considered Jeeps and FJs. Then practicality set in and now I’m looking at a replacement for my dually but one that has FWD. Sadly I can’t tow the 5th wheel with a fun 4×4.

Yugoboy
    Participant

That’s why my wife has a Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel. She loves it, and we can haul the trailer anywhere now. The old truck couldn’t handle the Appalachians without trashing the transaxle (there was something tweaked about the housing that they just never figured out – the old truck was supposed to handle it fine.)

orionid
    Participant

Been iced in for 24hrs now, suspect it’ll be another 24-48hrs till things start to resume as normal in DFW. The good news is that we’ve had power at the house throughout this, unlike many friends in the area that are or were without power at some point since this mess started yesterday evening. Other good news is that I’m catching up on processing shots some, and even ventured out today for a bit to get some shots of the house/plants/etc encased in ice.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102637182371352471338/WinterStormDec2013#

Some of those came out great. Love that one with the red leaves.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Great southern ice storm 2013’ is closed to new replies.