Help and Advice please

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Help and Advice please

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Unframed prints probably ought to be bagged with something stiff (cardboard etc) behind them, both to protect them from handling and because they’re a pain for people to take home otherwise, e.g. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/307334-REG/Print_File_PF1114BAG_Polyethylene_Bag_with_2.html

Yeah, that’s what they do with the prints on CSI, isn’t it? 😛

Yoyo
    Participant

Unframed prints probably ought to be bagged with something stiff (cardboard etc) behind them, both to protect them from handling and because they’re a pain for people to take home otherwise, e.g. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/307334-REG/Print_File_PF1114BAG_Polyethylene_Bag_with_2.html

If you want to bag-and-board prints, you could check with your nearest comic book shop for supplies as well. You should be able to find archival grade 8×10 (IIRC) bags and backing boards there. 11×14 might be more than you need?

gambitsgirl
    Participant

If you want to bag-and-board prints, you could check with your nearest comic book shop for supplies as well. You should be able to find archival grade 8×10 (IIRC) bags and backing boards there. 11×14 might be more than you need?

I don’t think I’ll do 11×14 for just “pickups”. Now I have to see if there is a comic book shop within 100 miles. lol. I live in hell. 😈

lokisbong
    Participant

So you live in central Nevada too? lol I love it here unless I want to go to a walmart type store or camera store.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

separate but equal hell. 300-400 year old farm towns with no zoning laws slowly taken over by sprawl and filth.

lokisbong
    Participant

oh no fun. Although filth can photogenic right? Here it’s all gravel and sage brush (several varieties!) and jack rabbits and little cactus and other sharp and pointy plants.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

oh no fun. Although filth can photogenic right? Here it’s all gravel and sage brush (several varieties!) and jack rabbits and little cactus and other sharp and pointy plants.

If you delve past the mini marts and the self-storage places and the strip malls, there are some beautiful shots

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Ordering through mpix itself doesn’t have a fee other than cost. I have an mpix pro account which is a little more complicated but you might want to look into that if you’re ordering a lot.

OOMGGGGG- my prints just came from mpix. The metallic ones had me 😯 . THANK YOU GODDESS OF PHOTOGRAPHY!!!!!

Farktographer
    Participant

Glad you like them 😀

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Now I have to reach back 20 years and remember how to mat them 😀

Farktographer
    Participant

The only experience I have with matting was destroying some cheap old photos I had previously bought so I could mount my own in their matted frame. Looks great from the front, but the back of the frames are…um…ugly, to put it lightly. Lots of scotch tape and glue holding those things together. Perhaps I should learn to do them properly if I want to continue doing that in the future 😉 Is it difficult?

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Let me set this stage a bit. It was 1992. I was a junior in college at Appalachian State, a small NC mountain school known for it’s hippies. I only had a couple of classes in the way of my degree. I didn’t do math. I didn’t do any class before 10 am. I didn’t do much really except beer bongs and water bongs. I did play mud volleyball once but that is beside the point (I saw photos but I don’t remember it).

Anyways – this is the ONLY computer in the COMMUNICATIONS AND ADVERTISING DEPT

and there were like, 10 of them.

Cameras had film and there were two flavors available to us (black and white and color – although there were tons of grades of film). Digital was not invented for the masses. You had to do the settings and focus and fstop and everything manually with math and memory (both I was totally low on). Only one kid had a laptop and I suspect he was from the future, back auditing life in 1992.

Ok – so this class I had to take was Black & white photography. 7-10 FARKING PM on THURSDAY. WTF? No clue what I was thinking. So we learned the formulas. Then we learned to wrench open the can of film and process it in the phone booth thingy and then we had to go through the space time continuum and set numbers on machines and print and burn and dodge and such by the light of amber bulb (no computers). THEN we had to mat them. Matting is composed of math and rulers and T squares and L things. And Math and cutting and exacto knives and math. Figure and cut back mat. Figure and cut front mat… then WTF – cut the hole with an exacto knife after pregaming the class. Tape photo to back of front mat and then spray adhesive something or another.

anyways to make a novel short – I can’t remember 😳 but I know I’m sober now so maybe can do it well.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Let me set this stage a bit. It was 1992. I was a junior in college at Appalachian State, a small NC mountain school known for it’s hippies. I only had a couple of classes in the way of my degree. I didn’t do math. I didn’t do any class before 10 am. I didn’t do much really except beer bongs and water bongs. I did play mud volleyball once but that is beside the point (I saw photos but I don’t remember it).

Anyways – this is the ONLY computer in the COMMUNICATIONS AND ADVERTISING DEPT

and there were like, 10 of them.

Cameras had film and there were two flavors available to us (black and white and color – although there were tons of grades of film). Digital was not invented for the masses. You had to do the settings and focus and fstop and everything manually with math and memory (both I was totally low on). Only one kid had a laptop and I suspect he was from the future, back auditing life in 1992.

Ok – so this class I had to take was Black & white photography. 7-10 FARKING PM on THURSDAY. WTF? No clue what I was thinking. So we learned the formulas. Then we learned to wrench open the can of film and process it in the phone booth thingy and then we had to go through the space time continuum and set numbers on machines and print and burn and dodge and such by the light of amber bulb (no computers). THEN we had to mat them. Matting is composed of math and rulers and T squares and L things. And Math and cutting and exacto knives and math. Figure and cut back mat. Figure and cut front mat… then WTF – cut the hole with an exacto knife after pregaming the class. Tape photo to back of front mat and then spray adhesive something or another.

anyways to make a novel short – I can’t remember 😳 but I know I’m sober now so maybe can do it well.

Oh hells no, I will shell the money for pre-cut mattes! There is no way I am touching exactos and glue! I would end up with three fingers cuts off, my face glued to the matte and the house on fire.

And your photography experience in college sounds much like mine in High School, I am sure I attended some classes without the assistance of herbal creativity but I can’t remember them. My Senior year I was a Yearbook photographer which meant Yashica Mat TLR was a permanent Hall Pass, so I would go out, smoke and then wander the school shooting “candids”. Thankfully, I did all the developing because many of those candids involved my friends and I doing things which would get us, minimum, expelled.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I took photography in high school as a vocational program – half a day for 2 years. Darkroom processing is an art that I still miss. Hell, I got all the stuff but the chems (2 enlargers, trays, tongs, dryer, red bulb, etc.), and just have not ginned up the intestinal fortitude to put it all together.

Get off my lawn comment – Kids today (and most adults) will never have that experience… and that’s kinda sad.

As for the matting experience, I never tried to make a matted window. I just glued (heat activated glue paper) my photos on the matting boards. We had a board cutter for that purpose, which is why I probably still have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs. Only the most adventurous tried to cut windows (if we screwed up, we had to pay for the boards). For now I use what I guess we can call the Farktographer method of reverse engineering previous mats. Well… that and old window frames. My wife strips ’em and stains ’em, and I fill the panes with images. Works good and the price is right.

Kestrana
    Participant

<3 mpix. Glad you like them!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘Help and Advice please’ is closed to new replies.