Help me spend my $$ (Xmas 2013 version)

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Help me spend my $$ (Xmas 2013 version)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Yugoboy
    Participant

OK… got $150 in Visa Gift cards, $25 in an Amazon gift card, and soon will be getting another $30 at Amazon.

I need to do something about lighting. Currently I have a 2-bulb tripod mountable light fixture. It’s OLD and the bulbs get HOT. Also very yellow.

My current wishlist has some overlap: http://amzn.com/w/1EBYWPAB00KVH

Here’s how I’m breaking it down:

50-60 – 3-point lighting kit

6 – Rainsleeve

18 – Reflectors

18 – Reflector Holder Arm

42 – Table-top Studio

9 – Soft Box Flash Diffuser

That’s close to $200.

There are some ways to shift/adjust costs (buying the table-top white box by itself saves over $10).
    I’m also intrigued by remote-triggered flash kits (I’ve got a bunch of Vivitar flashes that would work) with umbrellas and stands.

I’ve been pretty good at looking at the reviews, and I know for the lighting, I should just get the Cowboy studio set instead o f the lower-cost set.

I cannot sit on the money and grow it. There’s some things I want to do that require getting SOMETHING from the list above. About the only thing I’m 100% firm on at the moment is the rainsleeve.

Given that my birthday is later in April, I can sit on some of it, but I NEED to be able to set up for a location or studio shoot. I am also haunting Craigslist, and some jobs pretty much require I have a better table-top system than the drape-fabric-on-the-table-and-use-hot-lights-with-harsh-shadows system I’m currently using.

Advice, comments, suggestions will be welcomed and considered.
    Derision, negative criticism, and less-than-obvious sarcasm will be ignored.

Pretty much as soon as the $30 is earned, I’m going to go ordering.

Given that $150 is Visa money, not Amazon, if there’s something better out there not at Amazon (that is similarly priced), I’ll be happy to take a look.

Your advice is gratefully welcomed.

Ultimately, the goal is to use this equipment to pay for better equipment.

orionid
    Participant

I can’t provide links from work, but I started with a $150 dual-strobe, off-the-boat-from-china kit from ebay. Two strobes, two softboxes, two stands, two 36″ silver umbrellas, two 42″ white shoot-through umbrellas, two 18×24 softboxes made up that kit. I added two 6×60 strip softboxes, two hotlights, another pair of stands and some PVC backdrop framing to flesh out the kit and freaking love it. It’s not I-TTL (or any TTL for that matter), but I haven’t had any issues dialing in the light with a couple of test exposures. The most recent addition has been a deep-cycle marine battery and a 400W inverter to make the whole shebang work outdoors.

That being said, most other photographers I’ve talked to that have started the way I did and grown into name-brand lighting have said that in retrospect they’d have started with the name-brand and built their studio one piece at a time because mixing manufacturers has led to white-balance issues.

Yugoboy
    Participant

While I already ordered a couple of things (like the lights), so far they’re single manufacturer (Cowboy Studio). I know they’re cheap and amateur, but I’m trying to get the most bang for my buck. I also got a reflector/stand/arm kit, as well as a flash diffuser and the rain-sleeve (2-pack!).

I’ll still want that link, if possible, orionid as I’ll be getting more $ for B-day and future Christmases.

I’ve got just enough left to get the Lensbaby Spark. Any experience with that particular lens, guys?

orionid
    Participant

I’ve scoured ebay and can’t seem to find a matching kit. Seems most have dropped the useful extras like a pair of umbrellas and the softboxes in favor of an extra strobe and a higher price tag. I’d just keep cruising the flash kits category or the lighting modifiers category until you find a good deal on what you need most. Remember that stands and umbrellas can be had on the cheap, so the boxes, barndoors, and strobes are what you’ll want to prioritize.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Well, I got a 3 light set with 2 silver/black umbrellas. Added a white one. Getting a 5 in 1 reflector with stand.
    Yes I went cheap, but I can add better bulbs, and I can swap out parts as I can afford them.

Still have about $60 for now. ($30 is specifically Amazon) Trying to exercise patience.
    Eyeing the $79 Lensbaby Spark (anyone with experience with this?)

Also looking for cheap iTTL flash possibly. Learning to accept the benefits of flash… my mind’s trying to fight me every step of the way, though.

staplermofo
    Participant

I have a Yongnuo flash (YN468ii) which was very cheap and works pretty darn well. I bet you could find a nice lil Chinese or Korean TTL flash for $60. There’s something to brand snobbery, no question, but “wait until you can spend 4 times as much” is useless advice if no one takes it. Besides, some people on here take perfectly acceptable photos with Nikons.

orionid
    Participant

Besides, some people on here take perfectly acceptable photos with Nikons.

I do not bite my thumb at thee, sir, but I do, sir, bite my thumb.

caradoc
    Participant

I’ve used Rainsleeves. I’ve also used garbage bags with a hole in one corner and a rubber band to hold that hole around the lens.

The latter is cheaper and easier to deal with.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Help me spend my $$ (Xmas 2013 version)’ is closed to new replies.