Holy crap! SNOW!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

…and lots of it. 19″ in Amarillo yesterday. I had to dig the Jeep out of drifts twice on the way home from work. 3 hours to go 8 miles. I got out and walked around with the camera for a while, still need to go through the pics. Will post some misc images later tonight maybe. Amarillo is paralyzed, stores closed. Lots of abandoned cars. They called in the National Guard to rescue folks stranded on I-40. Lots of the white stuff piled up all over town. Even after getting stuck twice, I gotta say I’m happy I bought that Jeep a couple years back.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Glad you’re OK. Ya’ll get more snow out there than we do but 19″ is a lot for anywhere, let alone Texas. Looking forwards to your wonderland photos.

orionid
    Participant

Pics or it didn’t happen.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Holy crap, indeed, chupa. That’s a lotta snow. We were supposed to get 2-3″ overnight but it came down as rain instead. Stay safe out there!

Yugoboy
    Participant

I’m still trying to figure out how you had to dig the Jeep out. Were you trying to go through virgin 19″ or what?

We had a snow event a couple weeks ago that came close to paralyzing the city (yeah… in the NE… go figure), and I just kept trying to find the right route because everyone was going soooooooooooooo ssssssslllllllooooooooowwwwwww. My Jeep and I were just bounding through it when we got some open roads.

19″ is quite a bit, though… I’m impressed, and not at all jealous.

The only problem with this year’s winter is the two major snows that would have gotten schools cancelled (and me a day away from the middle school demons) happened over Winter Recess and a Friday afternoon. If we’re gonna have enough snow to shovel (my wife’s 4×4 is even bigger than my Wrangler) I want the reward of no middle schoolers. Hate ’em … all week, every day…

chupathingie
    Participant

I’m still trying to figure out how you had to dig the Jeep out. Were you trying to go through virgin 19″ or what?

(not my pic, BTW, but it illustrates the point)
    I wasn’t stupid enough to go down this road, but I did get caught in drifts where you’re the first down the road and you *hope* it doesn’t bog you down. Both times I came to rest with snow above the tops of 31″ tires. Hard to judge how deep a drift is when it slowly slopes up to the peak.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Gotcha.

Tonight, on my way home from teaching college (a 40 mile drive) the weather started bad and got worse. Fortunately, the weather stayed above 32, so the sleet and snow stayed slush and allowed me to get home safely, albeit at a slower speed than usual. Thank god I have a Jeep. I can only hope it gets colder than predicted for an ice storm that’ll shut down the schools

bender16v
    Participant

I’ve been working in CT for the past few weeks and arrived the Sunday after the big snow hit here. I thought three feet wouldn’t be that big of a deal but I was wrong. It was a mess here with just small tunnels plowed for the roadways. Some people couldn’t even get out of their houses because the snow had drifted against their doors all the way up. They did a pretty good job and cleaned it up though. I did drive my 4×4 truck instead of my VW car though and I’m glad I did.

I imagine it is worse in Amarillo since they probably don’t have much for snow removal. They used mostly front-end loaders up here since the snow was so deep.

orionid
    Participant

(not my pic, BTW, but it illustrates the point)
    I wasn’t stupid enough to go down this road, but I did get caught in drifts where you’re the first down the road and you *hope* it doesn’t bog you down. Both times I came to rest with snow above the tops of 31″ tires. Hard to judge how deep a drift is when it slowly slopes up to the peak.

Holy snowy hell!

chupathingie
    Participant

Yugo, I too am ridiculously happy to have the Jeep. It’s no cure for stupidity, of course (as the picture illustrates), but I’ve pulled many people out of drifts and banks the past 3 days with it and cleared more than my share of tracks through some of the smaller drifts for folks to use. Seems like every time I go out lately, I wind up breaking out the tow strap to pull someone back up onto smoother parts of the road (only had to do that once today on the way in to work).

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Yugo, I too am ridiculously happy to have the Jeep. It’s no cure for stupidity, of course (as the picture illustrates), but I’ve pulled many people out of drifts and banks the past 3 days with it and cleared more than my share of tracks through some of the smaller drifts for folks to use. Seems like every time I go out lately, I wind up breaking out the tow strap to pull someone back up onto smoother parts of the road (only had to do that once today on the way in to work).

You sir, deserve a Timmies Double Double and a pack of Tim Bits for your efforts.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Double-Double

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/index.html

Yugoboy
    Participant

You sir, deserve a Timmies Double Double and a pack of Tim Bits for your efforts.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Double-Double

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/index.html

Spoken like a true Canadian.

chupathingie
    Participant

OK, that sounds pretty good if you add suasage… 😉 I’m STARVIN. The rollerdog I got from the corner store ain’t cuttin it.

One thing about major storms, it’s good for the wallet. I’m still at work, 5 days later, and may see 14 hrs today. Ugh.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Holy crap! SNOW!’ is closed to new replies.