Hosting Options

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

I switched to flickr around January because imageshack kept spazzing out on me. I just went flickr pro last night. I like the fact it lets me see the original size on the biggest pictures. flickr has been very stable for me.

Just make sure that you mark NSFW/borderline images appropriately, since Flickr will make your entire profile “Adults only” with no explanation or recourse.

That happened to me, so I moved to Ipernity.

Yeah I saw that bit in their guidelines. I don’t get many opportunities to get nsfw type pictures around this little town unless I find a gory dead critter and take pictures of it like the dead sperm whale that washed up on the beach last year. I seem to have very bad luck meeting ladies I would want to photograph or date for that matter. The pool of available ladies in this town tend to be 17 or on meth. Small towns suck.

meowsertd
    Participant

Village photos some reason that this unlimited bandwidth site I pay for keeps getting my photos yanked for broken imagees when I have yet to see one?

does FArk not like this hosting provider?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The only thing I can figure is that their bandwidth may be “unlimited” but that it gets bogged down. If the hosting hiccups and doesn’t serve the image without hanging, then Fark will eventually drop the image in the interest of loading the thread faster/easier. I’ve restored the photo again, but since it’s already happened a couple times, I kind of suspect it might happen again.

staplermofo
    Participant

I had this problem before.
    It was fixed a couple hours after I reported it to my hosting service.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Two quick points… The service provider can sell “unlimited” bandwidth to customers, meaning they don’t constrain your bandwidth, but their connectivity to the Internet isn’t unlimited. So they could be overbooking their bandwidth significantly for cost control reasons. If so, they are relying on their assessments of what the average utilization per user will be to predict how much bandwidth the need to purchase to handle it. They might have guessed wrong, or they might be taking risks.

Second, the connectivity between Fark and the hosting provider could be unreliable due to the Internet Service Providers (ISP’s) that route the traffic. So even if both Fark and your hosting service are perfectly healthy, some ISP in the middle could be having problems. That could cause Fark to fail when checking your images and that would trigger to the system to disable your entry. Think of it like road construction at an intersection between two locations. It might prevent you from being able to get from point A to point B even if there are no problems at either end.

meowsertd
    Participant

The only thing I can figure is that their bandwidth may be “unlimited” but that it gets bogged down. If the hosting hiccups and doesn’t serve the image without hanging, then Fark will eventually drop the image in the interest of loading the thread faster/easier. I’ve restored the photo again, but since it’s already happened a couple times, I kind of suspect it might happen again.

thanks, should I find a different host then?

meowsertd
    Participant

I had this problem before.
    It was fixed a couple hours after I reported it to my hosting service.

my pictures were removed again, its not a huge loss im a lousy photographer but I had wanted to share.

guess I need to find a different provider…get a better camera and some talent 😉

clouddancer
    Participant

I don’t think you’re a lousy photographer. I saw your pictures just fine (and voted as well so you should have some votes).

I don’t think I have any talent with this, but I do like it, so I keep going. JustKat and U-Man say I’m improving, and coming from them that means a lot. I don’t really see a difference, but it could be that it’s subtle and it’s more in the way of how I approach photography and my choice of subjects.

For a camera, all I have is a P&S Kodak C340 EasyShare from 3 almost 4 years ago, that model isn’t even made any more, they discontinued it but have other C series cameras.

I’m not sure what to say about the provider, except most use Flickr and I use Photobucket (not sure if anyone else does), some have their own websites. I chose Photobucket way back when (only went Pro when I started Farktography to make sure it allowed the bandwidth) because one of my friends was using it. I didn’t know anyone or anything else at the time so I jumped in with that. I wish I was more familiar so I could offer suggestions, but when it comes to this kind of stuff I have teh dum.

Good luck.

meowsertd
    Participant

Trying ipernity atm

thank you for your kind words 🙂

nobigdeal
    Participant

I use Flikr. never really had any issues with them so far. Some of my older entries are on photobucket because I have a pro account there for my business.
    I think that Flickr images resolve better on the web. I remember hearing they sharpen the images or something. Also the Flickr community of photographers is pretty cool.Plus it’s neat to network with other photographers, either local or worldwide.

Kestrana
    Participant

I use Photobucket Pro because I don’t think flickr existed or was used much when I first started needing hosting space. But I think I will switch to flickr pro when my Photobucket subscription runs out because of the community angle.

Morningbreath
    Participant

any one know whats up with imagshack? I can’t open up their webpage, and haven’t been able to for a couple weeks.

lokisbong
    Participant

I just went to my free account and every thing is as it should be for me.

ravnostic
    Participant

Actually, I own several, but I use one for my net postings, fossilspringsaz.com. I bought through godaddy, which costs all of 10.99/domain (currently; it’s going up again–ICANN sucks.) With that, you get a free hosting account to create a webpage (which I have, but haven’t done anything with for ages now.)

As it happens, I pay for deluxe hosting (I have many needs), but with the free hosting you get 10 gigs of space with 300 gigs of peoples downloading per month–more than enough for a typical farktographer, I’d imagine. It’s easy to use with filezilla, hardly EVER fails, downloads faster than the flicker type sites, and gives me a backup for not just fark stuff, but all my important docs in case of fire (my parents had one that cooked old family pics, I’d scanned them and all was good with the world), computer theft, hard drive crashes, etc.

It’s a cheap price to pay, and there’s no limit to what I can put up there. I have stitched panorams that are 35 megs that one can download if I provide the link to it. Videos, whatever. It’s a good deal for $11 a year.

Technically, it’s set up so yo u can host a ‘free’ (ad supported) web site, but there’s nothing saying you can’t just use it as a back-up drive.

clouddancer
    Participant

So I have a hosting question, and this seems like a good place to ask.

Most everyone seems to use Flickr. I chose Photobucket long ago because someone I knew had an account there and I thought it would be fun. I’ve had a Yahoo account for ages, so I thought I’d do a few things on Flickr, just connect the two, etc; so that’s how I got to doing two hosting things. Now, Flickr says that when I go over 200 pictures, either I upgrade to pro, or I only get to see the latest 200 photos. Not so cool when I was using that for my project 365. Being that Photobucket and Flickr are the same price for a year worth of unlimited, should I just suck it up and do both (Photobucket’s year ends in September), choose one? I use Photobucket to host pictures for my blog, though I don’t know how discontinuing the pro subscription will affect much as I don’t think I use all that much bandwidth. There seems to be more of a community on Flickr and it seems a little easier to use, but Photobucket doesn’t have the weird file names and it’s a little easier to use with that.

Thoughts, suggestions either way? I would appreciate some input. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • The topic ‘Hosting Options’ is closed to new replies.