Hosting Options

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

I started out using Photobucket Pro and eventually switched to Flickr pro for a couple reasons. First the community is definitely better, more involved, active and actual photography driven whereas Photobucket felt like the MySpace of photo hosting sites. In many ways Flickr has better tools for organizing your photos, runs faster as a site and has a better internal editor than Photobucket.

On the other hand, Flickr can be like Facebook in that they modify, remove and add features seemingly at random and the changes haven’t always been positive. There have been a small number of instances (mostly at the time they’ve done site modifications) where their hosting dropped Farktography pictures, and that never happened to me using Photobucket. But overall, I’m happier using Flickr.

linguine
    Participant

Ive been happy with flickr, although Ive never used photobucket so I couldn’t compare the two. If you wanted to wait on paying for flickr so youre not paying for both at the same time I believe that if you go over 200 pictures the extras that disappear will come back once you upgrade to pro(at least thats how it worked when my pro subscription lapsed).

Curious
    Participant

I don’t get many opportunities to get nsfw type pictures around this little town unless I find a gory dead critter and take pictures of it like the dead sperm whale that washed up on the beach last year.

having been to tonapah both whale and beach took me aback. then i remembered you moved there a while back and it all made more sense.

Uranus
    Participant

Ive been happy with flickr, although Ive never used photobucket so I couldn’t compare the two. If you wanted to wait on paying for flickr so youre not paying for both at the same time I believe that if you go over 200 pictures the extras that disappear will come back once you upgrade to pro(at least thats how it worked when my pro subscription lapsed).

yup, they’re just not visible to you until you upgrade. All my links to “invisible” pictures still work, and Ive never had a pro account.

Curious
    Participant

yup, they’re just not visible to you until you upgrade. All my links to “invisible” pictures still work, and Ive never had a pro account.

one of the reasons i stick to my paid hosting is concern over broken links. nice to know that flickr doesn’t break your links.

there are few things sadder (excuse the hyperbole) than looking at an old contest full of broken links. this happens a lot with old photoshop threads.

lokisbong
    Participant

I don’t get many opportunities to get nsfw type pictures around this little town unless I find a gory dead critter and take pictures of it like the dead sperm whale that washed up on the beach last year.

having been to tonapah both whale and beach took me aback. then i remembered you moved there a while back and it all made more sense.

I wrote that while still living on the coast heh. Now I don’t see critters much bigger than a rabbit for the most part. I have been told there are wild horses and free range cows but have not seen either of those yet alive or dead and gory. I have seen some alive and rather fast pronghorn antelope. So fast I didn’t get a single picture of them.

But on the topic of Flickr vs photobucket. I have never used photobucket but Flickr has been very good so far other than the few minor changes that mostly just took some getting used too.

clouddancer
    Participant

I’ll see what I can do with Photobucket over the next few months. I asked my husband, and he emphatically said to choose one, and mostly as a favor to him because he didn’t want me asking him how to connect the two or whatever. So, given how much time I”ve spent on Photobucket, and how many pictures I have there, I’ll essentially give it more of a go on my end to see how I can maximize it. If I find myself wanting to switch entirely to Flickr by September, I”ll let Photobucket lapse then and switch to Flickr. I did find that it can auto update to Facebook when there’s an upload, which Flickr does, so we’ll see. While I like the community at Flickr, I don’t just want to abandon ship, so to speak, and go where everyone else is simply because that’s where they are. Nor do I want to be all alone on Photobucket.

Question on the visibility though. Can anyone see the “older” pictures if one never upgrades, or do they limit it to only the latest 200 pictures for everyone and once Pro is activated they all become visible?

orionid
    Participant

I’ve never used photobucket, but when I was looking for a host, I was turned off by them because of prolific ad placement (at least flickr’s ads are a little more incognito and flickr-relavent). I use my own domain for hosting contest photos to prevent hiccups, but link to bigger versions at flickr. This also gives me better control over exactly what shows in the threads.

As far as the “extras,” I lovelovelove the community on Flickr. Occasionally, someone I don’t know will leave a comment with critique or praise for some of my shots, and feedback is always welcome. Plus, I can participate in conversations with other people who are interested in some of the same specific things, like ripping apart a projection tv to make a camera lens out of the glass, or restoring various antique cameras.

Uranus
    Participant

Question on the visibility though. Can anyone see the “older” pictures if one never upgrades, or do they limit it to only the latest 200 pictures for everyone and once Pro is activated they all become visible?

got it in one. as soon as you upgrade everything is visible, otherwise only the 200 most recent shots.

I just checked : in the FSM and in the thread my shots for apples vs. oranges are there, but not on my flickr page, so all other shots remain preserved in their original locations. This means that anyone with the link to the shot would still be able to view it.

lokisbong
    Participant

Been using Flickr for quite a while now and have had almost no issues once I figured out their resizing quirks.

Yugoboy
    Participant

From what I can tell with Flickr, you can’t go over 200 pix. Once you try, they tell you to delete more. I solved that temporarily by opening a new account. Last weekend I went through the first account and deleted all the re-sized doubles, so now I’ve got some space in my first account as well. I’ll be opening a third account at some point, I’m sure.

swampa
    Participant

Yugoboy, you can go over 200 photos but they want you to pay for that functionality (you have to go “pro”).

/I haven’t been deleting any, just keep adding more so only the last 200 show.
    //Well until they gave me 3 months free pro access recently and I realised how much stuff I had uploaded over the years (hitting nearly 2000 photos).

ravnostic
    Participant

//somewhere in this thread I’ve already said this…

I’ve used GoDaddy for (now) 7 years (give or take one). Deluxe hosting, 150 Gigs, damn the file size, damn the dimensions, damn the extensions, damn anything. Unlimited upload/download/sideload/backload/foreload/anyload. Have had troubles twice, in the past 5+years. I can forgive. And OMG! I’m up to 4 Gb now, I”m 2.5% full!!

//I’m still hosting 5 sites, granted I’m not doing anything with them. But I could. And 99.95% of the time, I’m not having troubles linking/posting/resizing/phuqing around with.

Excepting for ZoneAlarmPro at $30 a year, it’s the best $30/year I spend. (I buy in bulk, when things are on sale…)

fluffybunny
    Participant

Going on six months with Zenfolio at this point. Exceptionally happy with it. Yes you have to pay but it’s reasonable (you can start with a trial if desired). Getting it going was probably the most trouble free straight forwards piece of technology work I have ever done. There are a couple of things I wish I’d realized when structuring the site but that’s my fault. This option would be quite good if you had a photography business, everything is oriented towards that goal. I have not sold a single thing and don’t care if I do but if I was a pro with my own shop, I would still be happy with them.

/No outages yet
    //resizing for farktography “just works”

Yoyo
    Participant

I recently switched from MS Skydrive to Dropbox. Uploading to Dropbox is as easy as drag-and-drop and getting the img URL is as easy as right-clicking. So far so good after 3 weeks.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • The topic ‘Hosting Options’ is closed to new replies.