How do I get rid of this crappy yellow tint?

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware How do I get rid of this crappy yellow tint?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Uranus
    Participant

Everything should be black 👿

DSC_0150.1

ravnostic
    Participant

In a Canon, under the ‘raw’ mode in DPP, you’d click on the eyedropper for ‘white balance’ then on some supposed-to-be white places on the shot. After a few, you’ll find the one to make it adequately black in total (usually).

Don’t know if you shoot w/a Canon, though. Nice image, BTW.

Uranus
    Participant

Nikon, I’m afraid…there’s actually no white in the shot…

ravnostic
    Participant

But if you tell the Nikon software “this should be white” and it comes back and says “okay, but then the rest will be black”, then you have a ‘win’. Worth a shot? Surely their software has such a tool.

Uranus
    Participant

worth a shot indeed. Meed to get an English manual, though. Somehow I got one in German…

olavf
    Participant

What rav said. You don’t need to click for white balance, though. With any of the RAW editors, there should be a slider for adjusting the WB manually. If it’s jpeg…you could try adjusting the RGB channel curves individually, but I haven’t had a lot of real success that way.

Uranus
    Participant

yeah, and I never shoot RAW. Live and learn. guess I have me some studying to do.

orionid
    Participant

What photomangler do you use?

In the color balance option, there’s a slider that goes from yellow to blue, drag that towards blue until you’re satisfied.

Also, with Nikon, if you use Photoshop, open as raw (even if you shot in jpeg), then click on the white balance eyedrop, clicking anywhere that’s supposed to be nuetral (any greytone – black, white, other), it’ll shift the balance of the whole image, which in your case, would be exactly what you need.

Uranus
    Participant

thanks, orionid . Actually knowing what you’re doing must be the difference between your multiple wins and my zero wins 😀
    beyond the odd crop or border, I never post-process my shots. If it ain’t right, I do it over….

ennuipoet
    Participant

thanks, orionid . Actually knowing what you’re doing must be the difference between your multiple wins and my zero wins 😀
    beyond the odd crop or border, I never post-process my shots. If it ain’t right, I do it over….

I don’t care how good you are, post work will make a good picture great, an average picture good and a crappy picture slightly less crappy. 😀

Curious
    Participant

I don’t care how good you are, post work will make a good picture great, an average picture good and a crappy picture slightly less crappy. 😀

while you are right for me i only do that on photos i’m going to print. or perhaps ones i’m sharing on the web that i want to be extra nice. the total number of frames/exposures/images that i shoot precludes doing post to all of them.

as far as contest entries go they get crop maybe beside the resize. frankly bumping my # 56 to # 43 isn’t worth the time. that could be due to not being good at post processing however.

olavf
    Participant

With DPP, at least, you can bulk edit the RAW files – tweak one shot, and then copy, select all, paste the recipe to all the shots in the set. I’ll generally look at each shot individually still, but it gets things a lot closer out of the gate.

Curious
    Participant

With DPP, at least, you can bulk edit the RAW files – tweak one shot, and then copy, select all, paste the recipe to all the shots in the set. I’ll generally look at each shot individually still, but it gets things a lot closer out of the gate.

nikon’s viewer may do that. i tend to shoot a lot of very similar shots with slight changes in composition so i’ll try that next time.

a few years back when i went digital i got lazy and started using multiple exposures of the same subject instead of really looking at, and thinking about, each shot. i need to learn all the camera can do then slow down and apply exposure controls, white balance, etc as i go.

olavf
    Participant

WB is easier to fix after. Just watch for mixed lighting conditions – that can be difficult to adjust for after the fact.

Otherwise, I find that I’m shooting more and more in full manual mode. Particularly since I got the strobes in the studio. It’s forced me to think that way more.
    /but, hey. I’m lining up the TFettes now. Can’t complain too much 😀
    http://gallery.squareheadphotography.com/main.php/v/people/karla/

Kestrana
    Participant

Orionid and I routinely shoot 500-1000 pictures on a shooting venture. It can take days or weeks to work through and process all the ones we like. I generally reject 3/4 of the ones I take for processing which includes the same-subject-but-slightly-different shots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I get rid of this crappy yellow tint?’ is closed to new replies.