How do I….?

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks How do I….?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    bigtony99
    Participant

How does one submit a photo for farktography?

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    bigtony99
    Participant

Jezusss! Do I receive college credit for this? Darn shame….I have alot of good pics I would like to share. I will look for a different site to post them. Something a little more user friendly. Again, thanks for trying…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The pages I linked to are quite a lot shorter than the entire Fark FArQ that was given to you in the thread. The first page tells you specifically how to construct your html, and the second page is the rules for the contest. Sorry it’s too much 🙁

monkeybort
    Participant

Jezusss! Do I receive college credit for this? Darn shame….I have alot of good pics I would like to share. I will look for a different site to post them. Something a little more user friendly. Again, thanks for trying…

’tis a shame. it’s a fun community; too bad you’ll miss out on the camaraderie.

bigtony99
    Participant

Sorry, but my internet skills only go as far as “send as attachment”…Which is all it should take. I can’t see going thru all that trouble just to post a picture…

monkeybort
    Participant

Sorry, but my internet skills only go as far as “send as attachment”…Which is all it should take. I can’t see going thru all that trouble just to post a picture…

i think you’re going to have trouble posting pictures in general then – the html is actually pretty easy and if you have a flickr acc’t you can upload pictures to host via email.

bigtony99
    Participant

What IS an html and what is meant by “host”?

monkeybort
    Participant

host = image host. you upload your pictures to a site (such as flickr or photobucket or pbase or similar) and then that website is your image host – when you post a picture for farktography you link back to the image host, causing the picture you uploaded to flickr (or whatever) to show up in the fark thread.

html = hypertext markup language. the most basic web language (i think, please correct me if i’m wrong). it’s the text you enter into the fark comment box to cause your image to show up in a thread.

example – is the code that would place your image in a fark thread (replacing ‘image’ with the proper address of course). flickr will generate this code for you automatically, so all you have to do is cut and paste.

schnee
    Participant

Hi bigtony99.

I hope you are still here. I feel bad b/c I wasn’t able to help you when you asked me this question a few months ago, so I’m going to try again. I’ve tried to make it as simple as I can, but it is harder than sending an email attachment. It will take a bit of effort on your part to learn it, but it is well worth it if you want to participate in Farktography.

If you want it easier, you really need to contact Drew Curtis (the guy who runs Fark) and get him to change the way images are displayed on Fark. No farktographer can help you with that; we really don’t have much to do with the way Fark is run.

Did you ever go to an amusement park or a carnival as a kid? I did, and I really wanted to ride the rollercoaster. There was a cartoon character about 4 feet high (one of the Banana Splits, IIRC) with a sign saying “to ride the coaster, you must be this tall”, with an arrow pointing to the top of the character. Hosting an image and understanding a little bit about HTML is sort of the Farktography equivalent. You must be this “tall” to play in Farktography. If you are not this “tall”, well, Farktography will be diminished by your absence.

I’m assuming you know how to make a JPEG image (technically, it could be a different format, but JPEG is pretty universal). Fark (not Farktography) has a hard limit of image dimensions – 700 px wide, 1200 px tall and no more than 200kb. I’m assuming that you know how to edit an image to fit into those dimensions. If you don’t, you need to learn.

The image host I usually use is ImageShack, http://www.imageshack.us (not ‘.com’ – note the ‘.us’). There are lots of image hosts out there and maybe some of them are a click or two easier, but this is the one I use. If you register at ImageShack, you will get access to a historical record of your images. If not, you don’t. Since you registered at Fark.com and Farktography.net, I’m going to assume you can figure out how to register at ImageShack.

When I go to http://www.imageshack.us, I’m presented with this page:

This is the screen that allows me to “host” an image. If you click the “browse” button (red arrow), you will be presented with a chooser that you can use to navigate to where your JPEG is hosted. It looks like this:

Navigate to your JPEG image and click on the “Open” button (lower right hand corner). You’ll get to this screen:

Make sure the checkboxes are as shown (particularly important to NOT select the “resize” one) and then click on “Host It” (red arrow, yellow oval).

If all goes well, you’ll get this screen:

notice the little image (“thumbnail”) that looks like the image you just uploaded. That means all went well. You’ll also see a lot of gobbly-gook text that looks like “code”. It is code, but for Fark, you only need to worry about one line of it, the line in the yellow box. That is the “HTML” that you will need to copy-and-paste into the Farktography thread’s “Add a comment” box. (I’m not going to define what “HTML” is; it really isn’t germane to the problem at hand.)

Fortunately, ImageShack makes this really easy. All you have to do it right-click in the text-line and select “copy”. ImageShack will auto-select all of the text:

After copying it, go to the Farktography thread that you are interested in entering and scroll down to the “add a comment” section:

Paste the copied text into the “Comment” box (yellow box), fill in your password and userid, make sure HTML enabled is checked and make sure “add voting for this entry” is also checked (not shown). Then “add comment” (red arrow).

You should get something that looks like this:

You may need to submit again, if you had the “preview” checkbox checked on the previous screen.

You can practice all this on Fark by going to the Fark scratchpad: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=69. Check it out.

That may seem complicated. It is harder than attaching an image to an email, but it is what you gotta do if you want to play in Farktography. If you don’t want to jump through these hoops, you aren’t going to participate in Farktography; you aren’t “tall enough”.

Putting together these instructions was a bit of work. I hope that your photos are worth my while.

monkeybort
    Participant

damn, schnee – nice work!!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

^^^ took the words right out of my mouth (fingers?)

bigtony99
    Participant

Thank you for your efforts. Unfortunately, I do not have a masters degree in computer sciences nor do I have the time to plant myself in front of a computer chasing down multiple websites (2 jobs-gotta pay that child support). I may not be “tall” enough but I know when to go look for another ride.
    “Putting together these instructions was a bit of work. I hope that your photos are worth my while.”
    Worthy? Why, all of a sudden, do I feel so small?

monkeybort
    Participant

i think he saw the length of the (very detailed and thorough and easy to follow) instructions and threw up his hands without even trying.

that’s the sense i get, at least.

staplermofo
    Participant

If you want, you could e-mail the photos to me and I could host and post for you until you get the hang of things.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I….?’ is closed to new replies.