How to Win Friends and Influence Theme Choices

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Themes How to Win Friends and Influence Theme Choices

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Here’s how Theme Suggesting works:

1. Create a new post with your theme and a description. A mod will make it sticky.

2. Accumulate votes and respond to feedback from other Farktographers

– all themes need to accumulate 10 votes

3. You have 30 days to reach critical mass or the theme is considered dead. You may re-suggest it if you wish.

4. If your theme reaches critical mass it will be placed in the Themes Hopper to be scheduled!

Other points:

– The status of a theme will be placed in the first post
    – If you’re not sure if a theme is classic or not just suggest it as a new theme and we can decide if it needs to be a classic theme
    – Voting is specified as “+1”, “I like”, or something similar.
    – You can also express your enthusiasm for a theme by voting:

+.5 = I’m mildly interested
      +1 = I like it
      +1.5 = I really like it – this will entitle the theme to extra bumpage and pleading before it expires

Most recent changes as of June 22, 2011.

SilverStag
    Participant

How about the Themes mod appending each theme headline with the current vote total, i.e. the Theme headline could read:

My Great Theme [6 votes]

like I just did for TV Dinner.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah that would be a quick and easy way for people to see where themes stand, thanks SilverStag

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hm thinking things through with the .5/1/1.5 scale, that means we could reach critical mass with fewer people merely being an enthusiastic few. So basically 6 people all voting 1.5 could hopper the theme even though it’s only 6 people beyond the theme suggester. Not sure how to incorporate the enthusiasm level with the voting though.

olavf
    Participant

count the .5’s for emphasis only? Or, at least, the .5’s over one? So +1.5 would mean +1 a lot but it could still be scheduled if enough people were “sort of want”

linguine
    Participant

I had been wondering about that too, if 4 people give +1.5s that cancels out the upping of the threshold for how many people have to support a theme to get it in the hopper.

Kestrana
    Participant

Maybe we could use .5s as a save then? They don’t count towards the voting total unless the theme was going to expire or they buy extra time and bumpage for a theme?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That might work.

As a humorous aside, I noticed that a couple people’s posts didn’t match what I’d pulled the other day when looking for post histories. Zeke asked, “Have you been pruning the boards?” I said no..haven’t touched the posts. Suddenly the light went on….”er…but Kestrana has” 😆

Kestrana
    Participant

:blush:

I can’t help it, I’m sorry! I hate pages and pages of dead threads. For forums like “This Week’s Contest” I go back to the old threads a lot and would never support deleting those. But I just didn’t see any point to saving the old rejected suggestions, especially when we were trying to encourage participation and freshness. *bites knuckle*

ravnostic
    Participant

I can’t help it, I’m sorry! *bites knuckle*

Power corrupts. 😆 😉

You’d have had a lot more to delete, had I not gotten in the habit of deleting my suggestions after a month or so if they don’t get so much as 1 vote.

I think we need to keep theme threads for contests that actually go green, at least until the contest is over or maybe a year or two, and maybe even foreverandever. They’re a good reference. My two cents.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I can’t help it, I’m sorry! I hate pages and pages of dead threads. For forums like “This Week’s Contest” I go back to the old threads a lot and would never support deleting those. But I just didn’t see any point to saving the old rejected suggestions, especially when we were trying to encourage participation and freshness. *bites knuckle*

Don’t apologize! Good housekeeping isn’t a bad thing. But Zeke had a good laugh at my expense over it 😉 When going through board settings last night I discovered (or rather rediscovered–I’d forgotten) we can set various boards to auto prune posts with no responses after so many days (however many we want to set). The only wrinkle would be that it would catch the actual scheduled theme suggestion threads after awhile, too.

Kestrana
    Participant

We can do that if you want but I have no problem doing it by hand. After the initial set up it only takes a couple minutes to keep everything updated and I check the site between 2-11ty billion times a day. Part of the reason I thought it would be good to delete the old threads is that just because an idea was suggested previously and failed to get critical mass is no reason it shouldn’t be suggested again. Maybe the original suggestion just got missed or the group of active people is different/has different interests now.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, and the sheer magnitude of all the pages of old posts is/was pretty daunting to go through,

ravnostic
    Participant

The downside is no one can post their ‘*ahem*’ links to the same-type suggestion they made 6 months earlier.

But I agree–it was daunting, and if a person can word a contest in such a way as to appeal to more people and more quickly, then more power to them. Which leads me to a new theme suggestion…

linguine
    Participant

I do have to admit that it was very easy to go back and find the original volcanoes thread this morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘How to Win Friends and Influence Theme Choices’ is closed to new replies.