It’s yours if you want it.

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill It’s yours if you want it.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    fluffybunny
    Participant

Put me down for the “most can” focal length. I’ll make it work as an optic, the novelty is the can.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Mine’s roughly 105mm and strikes a good balance between functionality and style (visible can).

That sounds like a good option to me.

ravnostic
    Participant

okay, then. This is very gracious of you, btw. I’d like a Budweiser 16 oz can on a Canon mount, please. Sept 28th. I’ll be 44.

orionid
    Participant

Not sure the difference between “coated/not coated” but whatever’s going to produce the best pictures.

In theory, coated lowers the diffraction index and lets a little more light through by reflecting less. This translates to wider latitude and better contrast on your sensor, which means less post processing to turn a grey blur into a dreamscape. In practice, I don’t know how much difference it would really make. They’re the same price from my supplier, so I’ll grab some of each and play with them. Whatever doesn’t get used, I’ll just add to my box o’ bits.

For everyone:

Nikon folks, I’ve started gathering stuffs to get ready. Canon folks, I’ve also started gathering stuff but there may be a slight delay. I’m looking for a cheap carcass (<$5) with the EOS mount so I can make sure little things like the lens snap-lock line up and function. Nothing sucks more than your lens falling off, so this is important.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Nothing sucks more than your lens falling off, so this is important.

Except when it’s your camera. Making my first serious astrophotos the other night and I didn’t tighten the adapter enough. Bounced off the eye cup and tripod foot plate, so it’s all good still. Now I have two little lanyards that I swap out with my normal strap that hook to the back of the scope.

Yugoboy
    Participant

orionid – have you done any playing with those long-ass 20-24 oz. cans? I’m wondering how telephoto that might be (if the focal length ain’t too long)?

Just curious (not curious

Oh… do you like old Polaroid (or Kodak) instant cameras? Saw some this weekend, but didn’t know, so I left ’em… there will be plenty more out there, so I didn’t really feel opportunity was missed.

orionid
    Participant

orionid – have you done any playing with those long-ass 20-24 oz. cans? I’m wondering how telephoto that might be (if the focal length ain’t too long)?

Just curious (not curious

Oh… do you like old Polaroid (or Kodak) instant cameras? Saw some this weekend, but didn’t know, so I left ’em… there will be plenty more out there, so I didn’t really feel opportunity was missed.

I haven’t played with the longer cans as it’s mainly a factor of fitting the can to the lens, rather than the other way around. If they’re a larger diameter, then they may be workable to some degree, otherwise they’ll either need to be chopped considerably or be too big around to effectively mount to the camera body.

orionid
    Participant

Ordered some old cans from ebay, drank some diet sodas because I have an interlock that prevent wasting food and drink (still twitching but I’ll live), ordered some of the glass (or pulled from my shelf in one case), and just ordered the mounts. Some of y’all that haven’t responded but I think are cool people are going to get one anyway, because that’s how I roll. I just need another clandestine way to get your address.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Got your care package ready to go, but I gotta hit the post office for a smaller box. My wife tells me the one I’ve got is the $10 box, and the amount of wasted space is nuts, so I’m going to see if there’s a smaller, lower cost box.

orionid
    Participant

Got your care package ready to go, but I gotta hit the post office for a smaller box. My wife tells me the one I’ve got is the $10 box, and the amount of wasted space is nuts, so I’m going to see if there’s a smaller, lower cost box.

No worries, take your time.

I should be able to start construction of the April/May/June group in the next week or so.

Yoyo
    Participant

I have no idea exactly what these can lenses are, but I’d be happy to have an Orionid custom. Canon EOS, the wider the focal length the better. Did you ever put together the kit I sent for X-mas? Pics…

Also, where do you get glass for these?

orionid
    Participant

I have no idea exactly what these can lenses are, but I’d be happy to have an Orionid custom. Canon EOS, the wider the focal length the better. Did you ever put together the kit I sent for X-mas? Pics…

Also, where do you get glass for these?

Added to the list. When’s your birthday so I know where to put you in the priority list? My original 105mm f/1.4 was ransacked from a 99-cent helping-hands magnifying glass. At least one of these is going to have the same lens, otherwise I usually get my glass from here: http://www.surplusshed.com/

I did build the pinhole you sent me, but I haven’t had a chance to take it out and play yet. I swear it’ll be soon!

As far as what the soda can lens is?

Soda can lens. by Orionid, on Flickr

And what can it do?

As-is:

Dream Cove by Orionid, on Flickr

Flamingo Dreams by Orionid, on Flickr

Tulip Blossom by Orionid, on Flickr

With a little more creativity:

Butterfly Dreams by Orionid, on Flickr

Field of Starflowers by Orionid, on Flickr

Starflowers by Orionid, on Flickr

orionid
    Participant

okay, then. This is very gracious of you, btw. I’d like a Budweiser 16 oz can on a Canon mount, please. Sept 28th. I’ll be 44.

Do you want me to use as much of the can as possible? It’ll lend itself to a much longer focal length. Might be good for macros and distant desert sunsets?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The topic ‘It’s yours if you want it.’ is closed to new replies.