last night shortly after the contest went live…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest last night shortly after the contest went live…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    ch4r7ie
    Participant

a person who doesn’t have total fark complained about the large number of pictures already posted, they said

‘i can see that farktography is for total fark only, and i think that’s bullshiat’

i’m think, in the beginning 3 pics each was cool because there was room, but like that oil exec with the fat throat, we don’t want to seem about to choke on our own success…

i propose that we limit submissions, maybe to one… certainly to 1 that has voting, maybe a second one with no voting

after all as photographers we should be able to pick the best photo out of 3, especially with a month to think about it…

also the part where we post someone else’s work because they aren’t around.. i gotta say i’m not in love with that…

just thinking that the contest should be safe for dialup and regular farkers…

Klahanie
    Participant

Hmmm, I gotta say I’m not a big fan of limiting submissions. Usually my least favorite of the 3 I submit is the one the Farkers like the most, and it’s almost always hard to pick just three. Besides, Total Fark is only 5 bucks a month.

ch4r7ie
    Participant

but even last night when i went to the contest 4 hours after it
    started there were already 125 posts, which could have been 80 or 40…
    people post early because it seems the folks who post early get a few
    more votes, not true i see a lot of regular fark users
    (i win’t say liters) have won contests, and once you get the bug,
    you join, as you say, it is only 5 bucks per month

limiting the number ups the ante
    -which isn’t bad just more of a challenge

since farktography contests seem to be here to stay
    any picture you don’t use in a contest today, you can probably use
    in a later contest

i’ve found myself kicking myself in ther butt for using some pictures
    already, but i am living off my stock photos, every picture i’ve
    entered is one i’ve taken for the heck of it, only one i ever took
    for a contest is the dog picture of my back yard

i think there should be a poll at any rate, and maybe a mass email
    sent out about the poll

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m kinda with GalleyWench on limiting pics, though I could see some value in limiting to 2. Limiting to just 1 would be really really difficult, and I agree with her about the one I think has the least chance often gets the most votes. I tend to pick a range of pictures to submit, 1 or 2 that are more artistic and the remainder more of a throw-away/chance kind of thing maybe with a humorous element or it’s more of a snapshot or something. It’s really hard to predict what will get votes, so I definitely like having 3 chances at it, but maybe limiting to 2 wouldn’t be so bad. Can I waffle any more??

Elsinore
    Keymaster

btw, I also think that frustration was over the time the contest posted to the mainpage. I noticed that we had 43 something link votes before the link got greenlighted but today it shows as only 24 I think. Not sure what’s up with that, but I wish we could get some kind of arrangement to get greenlit by 10pm or midnight every week…

staplermofo
    Participant

Maybe we could ask no one to post until it’s greenlighted.

I don’t know how Drew would feel about it, since TFers are given a huge advantage in Photoshop contests, but it might be worth asking.

If we could get half of the regulars to do it that should be enough to make a difference.

monkeybort
    Participant

Maybe we could ask no one to post until it’s greenlighted.

I don’t know how Drew would feel about it, since TFers are given a huge advantage in Photoshop contests, but it might be worth asking.

If we could get half of the regulars to do it that should be enough to make a difference.

i dunno….the only reason i signed up for TF (at first) was for farktography contests so i could post when the contest started. everyone has that option – it’s up to each individual if it’s worth it to them to be able to post early.

just my $.02

schnee
    Participant

This week’s mainpage listing time was a bit of a shocker. Major bummer.

I was hoping that the FSM’s “Greatest Averages Evar” report would have an attenuating affect on the number of images posted – the more entries the harder it is to keep your average up. I suppose that the “Greatest Farktographer Evar|Recently” reports offset the attenuating affect since they just total the number of votes. I also suppose that the FSM isn’t affecting entry- or voting-patterns much at all, which violates Heisenberg, so I’m all for that.

Personally, I know that I can’t catch the “Greatest Farktographers” in terms of votes. So I try to get my average up. That means a general preference towards fewer entries. But that’s just me.

+1 on a poll.

(I’ve thought about trying to Farkback some suggestions about the voting process that would even out the early posting advantage, but each time I do, I realize that (a) “It’s not Fair, it’s Fark” and (b) doing so would damage the Fark, Inc. business model (the $5 / month buys the ability to enter early (and a whole lot more)))

(note, the FSM is currently off thinking about world peace through pasta or something and may not respond)

Saldo1981
    Participant

I may complain that my post is far down but I will also say I need to get a TF subscription, hey it keeps the website running right? I think the only thing that would be good would be to delay the ability to vote until a majority of the photos are posted and if you post after that well too bad.

monkeybort
    Participant

I may complain that my post is far down but I will also say I need to get a TF subscription, hey it keeps the website running right? I think the only thing that would be good would be to delay the ability to vote until a majority of the photos are posted and if you post after that well too bad.

well, once a submission is greenlit and the time is posted, voting is disabled until it hits the main page. sometimes this happens within 10 minutes of the link going up, sometimes it takes a couple of hours. regardless – a lot of people don’t vote until the next day anyway because they like to see everything before voting.

ch4r7ie
    Participant

btw, I also think that frustration was over the time the contest posted to the mainpage. I noticed that we had 43 something link votes before the link got greenlighted but today it shows as only 24 I think. Not sure what’s up with that, but I wish we could get some kind of arrangement to get greenlit by 10pm or midnight every week…

good point, so if it went live in an hour and there were 2 submissions the contest would remain accessible, even as the number of people participating grew..

i’m thinking that trimming things now leaves room to grow for number of people participating of course..

staplermofo
    Participant

Maybe we could have more contests instead of trying to trim down the ones we already have? If we bumped it up to 6-8 contests per month or whatever maybe people wouldn’t feel as obligated to enter the max in each. Of course, we’re hard pressed for themes as is, so it’s a stupid idea.

I just keep thinking that if it just gets a little more popular it’ll be given a tag, a home and all that comes with it. I’m not sure where the line between persistence and pestering is so I don’t really farkback much, but maybe that’s what it’ll take. I don’t know. It just seems that most of these problems will go away once it’s full assimilated into fark.

If you’ll excuse me, I believe the tooth fairy is in my room and santa in my chimney and I’d hate to keep them waiting.

monkeybort
    Participant

i’m thinking that trimming things now leaves room to grow for number of people participating of course..

i don’t understand what limiting submissions has to do with expanding our participation base….maybe i’m missing something?

Could someone write code to randomize the display order? That would negate any advantage early posters might get…

As for reducing the number of entries, I think 3 is best because it forces some people (myself included) to go out and look for new photos to shoot. Reducing it to one would really undermine the motivation we get today.

ch4r7ie
    Participant

i don’t understand what limiting submissions has to do with expanding our participation base….maybe i’m missing something?

my thoughts on this stem from seeing a farker complain about seeing the thread filled with tf posts, some 130 by the time it went live

limiting posts to 2 means that ther could have been 80 posts by the time it went live vs 140, means that that person my not have been discouraged, and maybe others too..

one cool thing about photography, and it’s honestly why i am a photographer, is that you can do art even if you can’t draw

i cant draw, flunked out of art…

photography is kind of an equaliser, anyone with a camera walking down the street might take the coolest photo

so i think that anything that might open up a contest to more partisipation is sorta what photography is all about

when the rules were made up in the beginnning the first contest had 30 or 40 submissions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘last night shortly after the contest went live…’ is closed to new replies.