last night shortly after the contest went live…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest last night shortly after the contest went live…

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    schnee
    Participant

i see a lot of regular fark users (i win’t say liters) have won contests

Of all the 1st place finishers, 11 of them were posted after mainpage listing. 33 times such entries have placed in the top three. Surprising to me, but I’m glad.

Could someone write code to randomize the display order? That would negate any advantage early posters might get…

That is exactly what I thought of. But, doing that reduces the value of a TF subscription (and could be pretty server-intensive if every distinct page-view was randomized). There are other considerations as well.

I’ve noticed that as Farktography participation has grown, the number of non-entry comments in the thread has appeared to decrease. I’m a bit saddened by that.

monkeybort
    Participant

I’ve noticed that as Farktography participation has grown, the number of non-entry comments in the thread has appeared to decrease. I’m a bit saddened by that.

some of that relates to a modding smackdown from a while ago – the Fark mods deleted almost all of our chatter from one contest and a lot of the regulars got disgruntled as a result. of course, that also led (in part) to the birth of this forum, which we had hoped would take the chatter from the threads and incorporate it, plus the farktog tech talk etc.

the banter hasn’t *quite* made the transition intact, but i think it’s brought the group of us together in a way that just the fark thread would not have.

/warm fuzzies
    //hold me

veruca
    Participant

If you’ll excuse me, I believe the tooth fairy is in my room and santa in my chimney and I’d hate to keep them waiting.

Holy moly, I think I got a sunflower seed kernal shoved up in my sinuses from snorting out loud when I read that. So, thanks!

From the FarQ:
    You may have an internet connection that operates at twice the speed of light, but many of your co-farkers still rely on the trusty old 56k dialup routine. Do them a favor and compress your images! In newer versions of Photoshop use the “Save For Web” option under the file menu. As an added bonus, this feature also prevents the embedded XML nastiness that makes IE go balls-up. Most of the images you post will be between 40-60KB. Consider linking rather than displaying an image if it is larger than 70KB. Entries larger than 200KB will be automatically rejected. Entries larger than 700 pixels wide or 1200 pixels tall will be scaled proportionally (via width and height img tag attributes) to a maximum of 700×1200.

And in the boobies every week we ask people to compress. Some do, some don’t. Even if we cut down the number of images (which I personally am not in favor of) some people will still compress and some won’t. There’s nothing any of us personally on this board can do about it.

And as far as when the contest goes green, again, there’s nothing any of us can personally do aside from farkback (which I did last night). Until, as the mighty staplermofo mentioned above, we get brought into the fark fold there’s not a lot we can do except keep asking Drew to make it happen.

I’ll put a poll out there momentarily and we can see what comes of it.

ch4r7ie
    Participant
    schnee wrote:

i see a lot of regular fark users (i win’t say liters) have won contests

Of all the 1st place finishers, 11 of them were posted after mainpage listing. 33 times such entries have placed in the top three. Surprising to me, but I’m glad.

i’m glad too, at any rate, i just wanted to toss an idea out…

it seemed choked last night

what would be the odds of emailing all farktograopjhy memebers and asking them/us about a rules change?

monkeybort
    Participant

well, it looks like veruca is going to post a poll – there’s not much else we can do as we don’t have any sort of mailing list set up for forum members, and a lot of people participate in the contests that don’t come to the forum at all.

i say let’s see what the poll reveals and go from there.

veruca
    Participant

what would be the odds of emailing all farktograopjhy memebers and asking them/us about a rules change?

Not all farktography members post here, and not all who post here have entered their email addresses. I personally do not have the time to go through every person’s profile who ever posted and ask them what they think – if someone else does they can most certainly have at it. Poll will be posted momentarily…

ch4r7ie
    Participant

hope i wins, hope it loses.. i have a stock of 6,000 pictures that were doing nothing til farktography started.. using them up at the rate of 3 per week has some advantage..

anyways, 115 reads, 21 replies, there isn’t a lot of enthusiasm, i might be ahead of my time again

will the pole be next weds and announced during the contest? or maybe left up til then?

anyways, thanks for considering my question

Claff
    Participant

My two cents

I vote yes on limiting submissions to one. Don’t sweat the voters, submit your absolute favorite pic on the subject and let the votes fall where they may.

I vote no on posting pics without enabling voting. This means second angle of original pic or fourth pic just because it was so good not to share with the world. Save it for a later contest, showoffs.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘last night shortly after the contest went live…’ is closed to new replies.