Logging In Issue

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Yugoboy
    Participant

OK… I tried to resolve this through Elsinore and Zeke, but we didn’t get very far.

Hopefully one of you geniuses can help me out.

My old computer died suddenly and ignominiously. I had to get a new one. Windows 8 (bleah… too much work to get it to “work” in a way I can stand… why fix what ain’t broke?).

Anyway… When I open Farktography I’m not logged in. No problem, except that when I click the “Log In” button (my user name and password are in the boxes) I get a blank white page and a brief text error message (something about “code logic should not have brought you here”) and I have to go through the entire password retrieval process. Every time.

I can’t re-type it. I can’t shortcut the process, I have to go through the entire password re-set process. To make matters worse, now I’m “timing out” and if I am on another page, or working in Photoshop or something and come back to Farktography after a certain amount of time and hit refresh, I’m logged out and have to go through the entire process all over again.

This does not happen with Fark, Model Mayhem, Outlook or the NFL Fantasy League. Just Farktography.

Any suggestions about where to look?

fluffybunny
    Participant

I have had (and currently have) different issues with different machines but I never have to reset my password.

At worst, I have an XP machine running updated Firefox that won’t keep me logged in to farktography more than a few hours. It used to but someone cleared my cookies and now no matter what I do it won’t stay logged in.

Try using the login link from different part of farktography, ie “My Account” vs the link at the top of pages and so on. Some of them throw the symptom you describe for me as well but one of them always works (I can’t remember which).

bender16v
    Participant

fluffybunny, that is what I have to do. I use this page to log in because I can’t get the main forum page to work. Also it seems that I get logged out at different time intervals that don’t seems to have any pattern. I do log in from my pc and my phone sometimes.

linguine
    Participant

Are you using Chrome? I have to use the home page rather than the forums page to log in when Im using Chrome but if Im using Firefox it keeps me logged in.

Yugoboy
    Participant

fluffybunny, that is what I have to do. I use this page to log in because I can’t get the main forum page to work. Also it seems that I get logged out at different time intervals that don’t seems to have any pattern. I do log in from my pc and my phone sometimes.

That worked. I do not know why, but it did. At least after a time-out. I’ll find out later if it works from a complete shut down and start up, but for now, you’ve saved me a lot of unnecessary clicking.

It’s still a bloody strange problem.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I think you’re dealing with two separate issues.

1. Some of the Farktography pages work and some don’t. For instances clicking “Log in” on the Farktography Forums page and filling out the form fails consistently. But clicking to the “Home” page and logging in there works every time.

2. If you logins are timing out, that’s a cookie issue in your browser.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, here’s a summary of what’s going on. As Choc points out, there are two issues at work here:

1. There’s only one login page that works and it’s here: http://www.farktography.net/index.php. That should be your bookmarked page. If you’re already logged in, you can just click “Farktography Forums” from the Main menu on the left; otherwise, the login boxes will appear on the right and you should be able to login successfully there.
    2. The “Keep me logged in on this computer” feature got broken sometime ago. Cookies are being set to expire when the browsing session ends, so if you check that box, you’ll stay logged in only as long as there’s a browser instance running. Once all browsers and tabs are closed, you’ll have to log in again.

But here’s where it gets confusing: After the site rebuild, at least for a while, this feature was working. So, if you logged in during that period and checked the “keep me logged in” box, you got a cookie that will last across browser sessions and you won’t have to log in every time.

However, if for any reason you clear your browser cache and wipeout your current cookies, you’ll never get a permanent cookie again and will be back to having to log in each time. That’s the situation I’m in and it sounds like a lot of you are as well.

I captured a trace of the problem for Zeke a little while ago, but I suspect that he, like most if not all of us, has other more pressing needs to attend to right now and will get to it eventually.

Yugoboy
    Participant

OK, here’s a summary of what’s going on. As Choc points out, there are two issues at work here:

1. There’s only one login page that works and it’s here: http://www.farktography.net/index.php. That should be your bookmarked page.

OK… but when I clicked that (actually right-clicked and chose to open in a new tab) I got this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I suppose that’s probably temporary. Right?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Sorry about that. The trailing period got included in the link. This one should work: http://www.farktography.net/index.php

(I also edited the link in the previous post.)

fluffybunny
    Participant

So if you’re running FireFox and you (or someone you love) has mistakenly cleared all your cookies, you can edit them with this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/edit-cookies/?src=search

to set the expiration to some arbitrary long distant future date. Have not had time to test it for sure yet though with respect to our particular problem.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Have not had time to test it for sure yet though with respect to our particular problem.

So 24 hours later and I’m still good. This appears to work.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I don’t use FF, but thanks for the idea, fluffy. It led me to do some research on something similar for Chrome and I’ve figured out a way of doing the same thing without requiring any kind of add-on.

Does anyone else out there use Chrome and if so, are you interested in a walk-through of how to set your cookies so that you don’t have to login every time? I’d be happy to create a quick guide but I’m not going to bother if there’s no demand.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Logging In Issue’ is closed to new replies.