My flickr assploded

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

So, I logged into flickr last night, expecting to just do a quick check of my contacts uploads (mostly just y’all, and a couple other people I’d added along the way), and my world was thrown completely out of balance. This is how I was welcomed:

The first thing I noticed was different thumbnails on the left, so I think “cool. I have some comments and favorites to respond to.” Then I see the stats thumbnail. And I think “What the hell? Did I get explored? No….”

So I scroll down and click on explore. Having never been explored, I don’t really know how to tell if I have a shot in there or not, so I go back to the main page. Then I saw the flickr blog thumbnails. With my shot right in the middle.

So I click on the blog link. Sure enough:

There’s me, and a shot of BFE, Iowa that has gone from 10 views to replacing the vagina girl as my number one all-time views.

And then there’s the stats bar:

caradoc
    Participant

Awesomeness.

Curious
    Participant

well mine are nada compared to yours but thanks for pointing out the stats thing.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Not being a flickr user, I’m not quite sure what happened there, but congrats, I think?!?

Kestrana
    Participant

Every day the official Flickr blog features 4-6 pictures around a different micro-theme. The blog and corresponding thumbnails appear in every users login page toolbar, so pretty much everyone who uses Flickr sees it and it’s on the main page as well. That kind of exposure is good for about 1000 image hits an hour + people clicking into your photostream and sets for nearby pictures, especially in this case because the photo selected is one of the ones with our converted IR D50.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, then definitely congrats! That’s a lotta exposure. Now figure out that step 2 ??? and then move on to step 3: profit!

lokisbong
    Participant

Wow! that’s pretty cool. Most of my traffic seems to come from unknown sources. I had a picture of squirrel tracks in the snow that was getting around 10 views a day from unknown sources every day for over a week. Never had traffic anything like that though. My most viewed picture only has a little over 200 views all together. So your picture is the bottom left one right? Or are all those yours?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

lokisbong this is my most popular photo, by a long shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/4407173629/

Every week or so someone else favorite’s it. I have links into it from Facebook. I had 50 views over two days in January alone. It’s not even that good of a shot of rail graffiti.

caradoc
    Participant

Most of my traffic seems to come from unknown sources.

Coincidentally, I had two images get about a thousand hits each this morning, all from “Unknown source.”

…which is really annoying, because they’re two shots of a local theatre troupe, and I want to know what the referring article is about and by whom.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I saw that yesterday, I didn’t notice that it was you! Freaking awesome. You can’t pay for that kind of exposure. Of course, that kind of exposure and $12.00 will get you a cup of coffee at a Manhattan Starbucks 🙂

This:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/3579353270/
    is my highest viewed pic, Blackwolf the Dragonmaster. I submitted it as an “O” for a Photoshop contest and it went green netting over 7k hits. My Improv Everywhere not pants ride Set has 12k hits.

My other highest grossing pics are all either Fark Pshop of naked boobies. 😳

lokisbong
    Participant

Most of my traffic seems to come from unknown sources.

Coincidentally, I had two images get about a thousand hits each this morning, all from “Unknown source.”

…which is really annoying, because they’re two shots of a local theatre troupe, and I want to know what the referring article is about and by whom.

I went and asked the flickr faq thing about it and they claim it’s probably not a website but a rss feed reader or something like that. I kind of doubt that but I know next to nothing about the whole thing so who knows.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That is seriously cool, orionid.

Unfortunately, my dental dam shot is my most popular image with 44,000+ views: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/3466290305/

LeicaLens
    Participant

You got explored?
    That sounds…dirty.

Congratulations–I can only imagine your shock (and delight).

orionid
    Participant

OK, then definitely congrats! That’s a lotta exposure. Now figure out that step 2 ??? and then move on to step 3: profit!

No doubt. I’m thinking 2) Finish my smugmug page, link to it with “buy print here” from flickr.

I went and asked the flickr faq thing about it and they claim it’s probably not a website but a rss feed reader or something like that. I kind of doubt that but I know next to nothing about the whole thing so who knows.

I’ve also figured out through trial and error that instant messengers, email, and search spiders will show up as unknown source. That used to drive me batty, too. People using Aim Express show up as express.aim.com, but clicking that will only take you to the homepage.

My other highest grossing pics are all either Fark Pshop of naked boobies.

What’s wrong with that? This was my previous top view with 1800-ish views, and still gaining 2-5 per day.

Unfortunately, my dental dam shot is my most popular image with 44,000+ views: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/3466290305/

Yeebus. That’s got alomst 2/3 of my total views evar. What boggles me is that one shot on the main page, and in 2 days I get more than 10% of my all-time views. I’m pretty sure Kestrana got a little worried when I was sitting there quietly on the laptop and just started shouting “What the fuck? HOLY SHIT!”

ravnostic
    Participant

That’s pretty cool. What’s it up to now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • The topic ‘My flickr assploded’ is closed to new replies.