My flickr assploded

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    caradoc
    Participant

I’m thinking 2) Finish my smugmug page, link to it with “buy print here” from flickr.

Flickr doesn’t like that.

http://www.flickr.com/guidelines.gne

Don?t use Flickr for commercial purposes.
    Flickr is for personal use only. If we find you selling products, services, or yourself through your photostream, we will terminate your account. Any other commercial use of Flickr, Flickr technologies (including APIs, FlickrMail, etc), or Flickr accounts must be approved by Flickr.

I know a couple of people who’ve had their Flickr accounts simply deleted for that sort of thing.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

But can’t you still put a link to your website (pro or otherwise) on your Flickr profile? Or has that been nixed?

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

congrats on being featured. odd how it works sometimes like that. very cool shots.

to see if you’ve made Explore (which is a hollow award, imo, based merely on some weird algorithm that is founded partly on your surrounding photos and views (the pattern it expects for views…)): go to http://bighugelabs.com/scout.php

caradoc
    Participant

What. The. Fark?

olavf
    Participant

But can’t you still put a link to your website (pro or otherwise) on your Flickr profile? Or has that been nixed?

That would be good to know, because I was considering putting some of my stuff there with links back to my website.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

What. The. Fark?

that’s insane. a guess would be something akin to blog or a recurring link in a thread, obviously someplace flickr doesn’t recognize. sadly, you’ll probably never know.

lokisbong
    Participant

According to the FAQ section of flickr it would be
    ” * Someone is clicking on a link in their email program or an instant message, where there is no referring “page”
    * Sometimes someone directly enters the address into their browser, or uses a bookmark
    * Sometimes pages are cached by other services. Pages that are cached don’t have to load a fresh copy, so those views sometimes don’t register.”

One explanation given when I sent a question to the help forum on flickr is that it’s a RSS reader. I get around 10 unknown views every day.Sometimes on pictures that have never had a know view and several times on pictures that I just uploaded. Never had my flickr assplode yet.

Kestrana
    Participant

Sometimes when you click on “Unknown Source” it can give you more information.

lokisbong
    Participant

Sometimes when you click on “Unknown Source” it can give you more information.

I don’t think I have ever seen it be clickable on my page. The other sections yes but not the unknown source section.

The other weird thing I saw recently was somebody favorited one of my pictures but it had not one single view yet.

sleeping
    Participant

Flickr is definitely stripping out a lot of referrer info (probably to reduce the amount of questions they’re getting) – they originally provided something much closer to the raw HTTP log data, which was much more informative if you knew how to interpret it but I think it confused a lot of people when they couldn’t always follow the link back to the referring page (because it was someone’s inbox or RSS reader etc…)

caradoc
    Participant

I am wholly confused as to why a three-year-old photo would be popular now.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many hits *overall* on any other image of mine.

lokisbong
    Participant

Wow! that’s a lot of views. All in the last 24 hours? That’s double the views I have had for everything in my flickr since I started my flickr account.

caradoc
    Participant

Turns out that my photo is the #1 hit for images.bing.com for “Arizona Wildfire.” I have no idea why. I like the shot, but it’s three years old…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’d suspect the sudden interest is due to this: 2,500 firefighters struggle to contain Arizona blaze on CNN’s front page. Can’t explain why you’re at the top of the search list for the term, but that’s pretty cool.

orionid
    Participant

G’damn!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • The topic ‘My flickr assploded’ is closed to new replies.