New contest voting system

Forums Forums News Bibliostats New contest voting system

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Fark implemented a new voting system starting with the 12/28/2011 contest whereby each entry is now eligible for both a “Best” and a “Funny” vote.

You can now vote for each entry twice (Best and Funny), once (Best or Funny), or not at all. You can also return to the thread at any time and REMOVE any or all votes (i.e., the voting buttons are toggles).

This thread is for voting on and discussing how the Farktography community would like BiblioStats to handle the new voting system.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I think pressing the Funny vote button should take the user on this Magical Journey:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

(yes I know this is beyond the domain of CISS but one can dream, no?)

fluffybunny
    Participant

I would vote for “ignore Funny votes altogether” but that gives us at least two outcomes:

1) Don’t tell prospective voters, hilarity ensues, profit.
    2) Mention the policy in the contest headline and come off as arrogant (We care not for Funny, etc).

Since I know next to nothing about the relationship between Fark and Farktography, I have to ask “Why can there not be a template on Fark for our contests that only has one button?”

lokisbong
    Participant

gah!!! I just got rickrolled. I haven’t had that happen in a year or more. lol I learned to look for pawnsnoodik or how ever the final countdown cover goes but never could learn all the variations of the rickroll.
    I am torn about this voting thing. I’m not one to yell at clouds when things change but this one I do not like at all. Are we sure we couldn’t just go back to one vote for us and let the photoshop peeps do it their own way?.

ennuipoet
    Participant

The way Fark handles voting is universal, for simplicities sake. I know next to nothing about coding but I can’t imagine having a seperate voting template for one small section of the site is viable.

linguine
    Participant

The way Fark handles voting is universal, for simplicities sake. I know next to nothing about coding but I can’t imagine having a seperate voting template for one small section of the site is viable.

Wouldn’t they still have to old code around that they could put back in place? I personally liked just having one thing to vote on and this whole system just seems silly for the contests.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Wouldn’t they still have to old code around that they could put back in place? I personally liked just having one thing to vote on and this whole system just seems silly for the contests.

I don’t claim to speak for Drew in any way, but as I understand it from various conversations held in the PSAEF changes in the coding have to be universal for cost and simplicity. So all Voting Enabled threads have the multiple vote options because it takes more time and money to set up different variables for different threads. (As I mentioned, I couldn’t code my way out of a paper bag so my understanding could be flawed) I suppose the simplest way to answer this would be to email Mike and ask, but we don’t have time for rational solutions! 😀

As to how to count the votes, I voted to count all best and weigh the funny as a best compromise. We could ask people to just vote best in the Boobies, but honestly people don’t read the Boobies now so adding more information to the Wall of Text probably won’t make a difference.

linguine
    Participant

I don’t claim to speak for Drew in any way, but as I understand it from various conversations held in the PSAEF changes in the coding have to be universal for cost and simplicity. So all Voting Enabled threads have the multiple vote options because it takes more time and money to set up different variables for different threads. (As I mentioned, I couldn’t code my way out of a paper bag so my understanding could be flawed) I suppose the simplest way to answer this would be to email Mike and ask, but we don’t have time for rational solutions! 😀

That makes sense, I was just skimming through the photoshop forum and I did like the suggestion one of the photoshoppers had where they would still display best/funny separately but would also show how many users voted on the entry in total so there would be no bonus for voting twice on an entry. I also agree with the person there that pointed out calling it ‘best’ isn’t going to help with the people that think you can only vote for one entry.

Or we could just see if we can get drews mom to nag him until he makes it all better.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

FYI, I’ve modified the scraper and database to track Funny votes, but I’m not doing anything with them at the moment (basically, the “ignore Funny votes” option). When we decide what we want to do with them, I’ll go back and apply them appropriately. If it turns out we want to combine Best & Funny, that may cause the results of this and possibly later contests to change; if we go with separate results, that’s a bit of work and it may be a few weeks before I can get to that.

Kestrana
    Participant

I think we need to count both.

Display TOTAL votes as “the winner”. Amend our personal voting practices to be: check both boxes for the ones you want. Or, if you kinda want to vote for an entry, only check one box. Put the fact that the highest TOTAL votes is the winner in the boobies, call out TOTAL, BEST and FUNNY top photos in the congratulations.

We do contests where being funny is the objective vice skilled/artsy/technical achievement, so it can pertain to us too.

Re: separate templates – when we create a Farktography thread, we have to select it to go into the “contests” category, and then voting enable it. They would have to change that whole system for us and it’s not fair to ask that for a 1 per week thread.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

The only snag I see in combining votes is the effect it will have on historical records. Since we’d effectively be doubling vote capacity, stats like greatest average votes are going to get strongly skewed to current & future participants.

Kestrana
    Participant

If we don’t combine the vote totals, it’s possible that we’ll go the other way, and skew against current participants because the general populace votes with the Funny button.

In pro sports they acknowledge previous records came with 14, 15, 90, 125 game seasons, but breaking a record is still breaking a record. The previous record holder aren’t around to complain about losing their spot and if they were, they could start participating again and reclaim it.

ennuipoet
    Participant

If we don’t combine the vote totals, it’s possible that we’ll go the other way, and skew against current participants because the general populace votes with the Funny button.

In pro sports they acknowledge previous records came with 14, 15, 90, 125 game seasons, but breaking a record is still breaking a record. The previous record holder aren’t around to complain about losing their spot and if they were, they could start participating again and reclaim it.

This.

I doubt those who no longer participate are much concerned with their standings. Truth be told, I only count my standings for the calendar year, because, you know, why you bringing up old stuff?

sleeping
    Participant

It may actually make more sense to wait and gather some information about how the voting actually works in practice before making a final decision here, but it seems to me that counting the funny votes as equal to the best ones could be problematic: I suspect there are in most cases a fairly small number of potential “funny” entries, and a much high number of potential “best” entries, so if people vote for both categories evenly, that could weight the results overwhelmingly towards the funny side on balance, or turn the threads into primarily funny picture ones, which I’m not sure we want?

Kestrana
    Participant

Well we also know that off-theme entries tend to do poorly in voting, but if you can come up with a way to make “Desolation” or “Parking Lots” or “This Old Car” funny, why discourage that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • The topic ‘New contest voting system’ is closed to new replies.