New contest voting system

Forums Forums News Bibliostats New contest voting system

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Oh and I wanted to respond to everyone being afraid of becoming overrun with Fark cliches and memes… I don’t want to say it’s baseless, because it’s possible that could happen, but how many random Fark cliche pictures do we see a week? I think it’s usually 0. Unless the theme lends itself to satire and sarcasm, like “Five is Right Out” – but even then it was Monty Python jokes which was perfectly keeping with the theme. We don’t see a Beer Looter rip off every week like the PS people do.

Secondly, because we have dedicated regulars who shape the contest, we lead by example based on what the TFers post, and we also represent the largest chunk of our voting block. We have between 30-70 “regulars” ( people who participated in at least 3 of the last 12 contests ) at any given time, based on the old FSM statistics for participation. The average votes for a 1st place photo is between 35-45. Assuming our regulars vote, and most of them agree with the #1 photo, that means that the majority of voting still comes from our regulars except when we have break-out contests that get into the 50+ vote range.

Basically what I’m saying is: we have the power. We’re not going to get overrun or see a fundamental change in the content of the contests due to this change. We just have to decide how to track our statistics from now on. CISS said it’s possible to display both category winners but it’s time consuming work for him, and useless in 50%+ of our contests, which aren’t funny oriented (who cares who wins the Funny vote for Desolation). Therefore the most fair option is count them all and total them.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

See, in that case, you’d just win both categories instead of a single one. MOAR WINNING! 😉

Kestrana
    Participant

Or you get split votes so that you win neither category, if people end up voting for one or the other :/

sleeping
    Participant

Especially because if you can create a humorous photo that’s also technically superior, I think you probably deserve to win.

Problem is, at least based on today’s evidence, is that what it would generally require to win based on the combined votes is neither technically superior, nor actually funny.

Unfortunately, I think what it comes down to is we have a choice between *somewhat* disadvantaging funny entries or giving them an *overwhelming* advantage…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Or you get split votes so that you win neither category, if people end up voting for one or the other :/

Yeah, that’s one of my concerns.

Problem is, at least based on today’s evidence, is that what it would generally require to win based on the combined votes is neither technically superior, nor actually funny.

Unfortunately, I think what it comes down to is we have a choice between *somewhat* disadvantaging funny entries or giving them an *overwhelming* advantage…

Yes, this^

Kestrana
    Participant

I don’t think this is a good contest to judge on and I agree with your earlier statement that we need more evidence.

This is an open theme during our lowest voting season of the year. Fortunately, January/February tends to be our biggest voting season of the year and the next two weeks are a clearly “not funny” followed by a clearly “funny” theme. Ultimately we should probably wait the next two themes to see what happens.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Agreed. We can always adjust as we get a feel for what this is going to do to overall voting patterns.

fluffybunny
    Participant

One option I’m not sure anyone has floated yet: don’t distinguish between vote types. So for you programmer types that would be “best | funny”, Boolean types “best OR funny” and then in English “If neither then 0 votes, if either or both then 1 vote”. This is the closest to mimicking the old system as we can get (IMHO).

As an a priori voter, you would just plop down a vote if you thought it was funny OR good, you didn’t really distinguish. Logical OR would do the same. It would also eliminate the categorical bias that’s already been discussed, ie no difference or weighting for one category over the other. If either or both votes are cast for a photo, there is only one resulting vote tallied.

There would still be the Fark area separating the two vote tallies, so if a voter only checked there for results they might be confused about contest progress or outcome. This is the only incongruity I can think of for the moment.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That’s an interesting idea, fluffybunny, but it couldn’t be implemented except at Fark itself. Our view of the contest pages doesn’t allow us to know if a single user has voted for the same entry as both Funny and Best. For example, if an entry shows up on both Best and Funny voting results pages with 1 vote, we can’t know if that’s the same voter or two different voters.

fluffybunny
    Participant

That’s an interesting idea, fluffybunny, but it couldn’t be implemented except at Fark itself. Our view of the contest pages doesn’t allow us to know if a single user has voted for the same entry as both Funny and Best. For example, if an entry shows up on both Best and Funny voting results pages with 1 vote, we can’t know if that’s the same voter or two different voters.

Gah, foiled again by that super genius I know only as the mysterious “Drew”.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I take it that Fark.com is not keen on sharing anonymous voter data related to Farktography in some behind the scenes data conduit? [photo_id][random_voter_id][vote_state_or_count]

U-Man
    Participant

A tangent to this topic…is there any way to keep the Fark names hidden until voting is complete?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I take it that Fark.com is not keen on sharing anonymous voter data related to Farktography in some behind the scenes data conduit? [photo_id][random_voter_id][vote_state_or_count]

I’ve never heard of them doing anything like that and I’d be really surprised if they did, but I guess it couldn’t hurt to ask if anyone with a more direct link to Fark’s chain of command would like to do so. It sure would make scraping the contests a lot easier, as well as less prone to breakage when something in the layout changes.

A tangent to this topic…is there any way to keep the Fark names hidden until voting is complete?

From the Fark side of things, I’d guess that would fall into the “too much effort for a once-a-week thread” category as others have mentioned in regard to other Farktography-specific changes.

I could write a script similar to the one that adds Places to the voting results page that would hide usernames, but it would be strictly voluntary to use it and you’d have to divert your eyes before applying it as the names would be visible until then.

ravnostic
    Participant

I could write a script similar to the one that adds Places to the voting results page that would hide usernames, but it would be strictly voluntary to use it and you’d have to divert your eyes before applying it as the names would be visible until then.

“Don’t look Ethel!”

//too late…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

“Don’t look Ethel!”

//too late…

Wanna know how I know that you’re old? 😆

// Of course, the same applies to me as I got it right away. Well played, rav, well played.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)
  • The topic ‘New contest voting system’ is closed to new replies.