New Farktography forum design

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill New Farktography forum design

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mikemikeb
    Participant

Just a few comments about this new forum place:

1. Does anybody care about the “OpenStar” thing at the top right? Besides, the gaps between the center and (both) sides of the top bar sometimes don’t fit correctly.

2. When going to the Farktography.net mainpage, the forum doesn’t show, the center stack is still quite empty, and the calendar group on the right side (by its own lone self) would do alright on the left side in the forums. So maybe load the forum from the mainpage like it currrently does in the forum mainpage itself, and move the calendar to the left side with everything else currently there? Streamlining and everything. Heck, if we’re thinking true streamlining, with the lists of the contests on the left, maybe that Events dialog on the right isn’t needed at all.

3. The non-sticky icons denoting new posts versus old ones — they need more cowbell. 😉 But I like the way the new “Popular thread” icon flashes 🙂 So, maybe the old cowbell, with the new flashy? Pretty please?

4. There’s currently a lot of additional hangtime versus the old place. It was very hard to load the articles in the “This week’s contest” area, last I checked.

5. The forum table area itself (text and overall design) looks busy and cluttered over the old one. Maybe it’s a matter of getting used to it.

6. In the old forum, there were color and bold codes in the “Users browsing this forum” section of the threads and thread organizers (think: “This week’s contests”, “Themes”, etc.), in addition to the “Registered users” section of the bottom of the main forum page, to denote mods, admins, and us regular folk. That was a nice touch, please bring it back!

7. It would be much more convenient if the “Farktography general chat” part of the main forum page was the top category instead of “Get technical”.

8. Thanks for fixing the inter-login issue. Now I can go to the Farktography.net mainpage and it logs me right in automatically 8)

Updated to reflect additional browsing:

9. When each post’s text ends, currently there’s unnecessary empty space below it. In the old design, this empty space didn’t exist.

10. With the new “Quote”, “Edit”, and “X” button locations, it’s easier than originally to mouse down toward the “Edit” button and accidently click the “X”.

11. This is more a question than a comment: With the PostNuke addition to the phpbb, is it now possible to support DST?

zeke
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Mikemikeb. We’re still going through and cleaning house, and we’ve got a lot of work to do over the next few days to make it look like the way we want it to. At this point, the framework’s in place, the forum’s migrated and integrated, and that’s just about it. Lots more to come, but pardon the cyberdust along the way!

Klahanie
    Participant

Sweet!

Klahanie
    Participant

It looks good, but it’s really slow to load.

veruca
    Participant

It’s like the first night you move into a new home; you’re in but everything is in boxes. I’m just thrilled the infrastructure is in place, and a hearty thanks to all involved!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yep, definitely slower, but huzzah for progress!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hm…at times the lag seems to clear some. Hopefully that’ll resolve soon altogether.

Now if only the greenlight time would get moved up *twitch*…

veruca
    Participant

Hm…at times the lag seems to clear some. Hopefully that’ll resolve soon altogether.

Now if only the greenlight time would get moved up *twitch*…

no response from the other side. Drew usually emails me back pretty quickly – maybe he’s not jockeying the mail queue tonight 😥

schnee
    Participant

really small nit: the favicon is the openstar favicon

Edited to add: Not anymore, apparently…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oooh, the banner looks nice with the current skin and forums.

In other news, the part of Lord Ezekiel will now be played by Zeke

linguine
    Participant

The site looks really nice, especially if you just go to http://farktography.net/ The one issue I have is there doesnt seem to be a link back to this page anywhere on the site and I really like how this page looks and all the information that you get on it. I only found that page because I decided to try the old site address to see if any changes had been made for the public to see before coming to the forum and finding out that you guys have already done a lot of redesigning. But overall Id have you say youve done quite a good job on the site.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think the “welcome” link on the left points to the starting page you’re referring to? Maybe naming it just “Home” would work better?

I also noticed that the “The Farktographers” link points to the forums memberlist. Might not be the best idea to point to that since it might be easy spam bait for email scrapers.

linguine
    Participant

The welcome link is a different page than Im talking about. The page Im referring to has the upcoming contest in the middle and then has a greatest shots, upcoming contests, recent contests, and quote sections on the right.

schnee
    Participant

I think the issue is that “farktography.net” != “www.farktography.net” as far as DNS is concerned. My old bookmark pointed to “farktography.net”, which contains the “We’re down but go checkout the forums” page that veruca(?) put up a while back.

zeke
    Participant

I think the issue is that “farktography.net” != “www.farktography.net” as far as DNS is concerned. My old bookmark pointed to “farktography.net”, which contains the “We’re down but go checkout the forums” page that veruca(?) put up a while back.

Aroo? Try hitting shift+reload, that sounds cached.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘New Farktography forum design’ is closed to new replies.