New guy, just saying hello…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill New guy, just saying hello…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Lenny_da_Hog
    Participant

Howdy, folks.

I’m new to photography as a hobby — just started taking pics regularly a couple of months ago while tracking a bird conservation project, and found I was starting to enjoy the camera more than the birds.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks, and that I appreciate the contests, as they’re giving me something to focus on while I improve and learn, and giving me lots of folks to learn from (some of you folks do amazing stuff).

I’ll be out in the desert for a couple of weeks, but will be back regularly come September.

ravnostic
    Participant

Welcome to the group! Feel free to use the forums to ask questions; if you like an image and want to know the details of how it was taken for example, or ‘how do I stuff’; someone (if not several) will always jump in to help you continue becoming a better and better photographer. The people here have taught me 90% of what I know and they’re a great bunch of folks besides.

Barracuda
    Participant

Welcome, always good to have fresh names around. It’s amazing how fast one can improve while trying to compete each week in Farktography, I can attest to it! Got my XSi in February, started Farktography on a regular basis a month or two later, and everyone I know continually tells me how much I’ve improved in that time.

Lenny_da_Hog
    Participant

And Barracuda, you’re one of the names I recognize already. Enouraging.

I use an XTi I bought a few years ago for industrial photography (e.g., take one shot of a motor control center, valve assembly, or the like for training programs, etc.), but mostly sat in the closet.

chupathingie
    Participant

Welcome, Lenny! Always nice to see a new face around! I’ve picked up so much in this place over the past couple years, even though I never have time to do the contests. Between looking at others’ compositions and lurking in some of the threads there’s a lot of information, tips and techniques for anyone who takes the time to read and ask questions. Farktography is definitely one of the underrated go-to spots on the net for the photographically inclined…

fluffybunny
    Participant

I’d like to add my welcome and moral support to you Lenny. If learnin’s what your after, you’re in the right place. I’m suffering from time deficiency currently but I hope to be back in the mix after September. The no pressure (read friendly) competetion has really helped me improve my work in a very short period of time. On reflection, it has acted to train me to look at each photograph more critically both in the field and during processing. Here’s to your own rewarding experience.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

And howdy to you as well, Lenny. Always great to see new blood in the discussion forums. Can’t really add more than what’s already been said, but I can validate that it’s all true – this is a great place for photographic comraderie and such.

orionid
    Participant

Hello and Howdy!

Feel free to deluge us with any questions you might have, how-to, should I, etc. We all did it, and Lord knows I probably rubbed a few people the wrong way when I started out, so really, it’s no big deal. The only stupid question is the one you never ask.

/That, and do we have cookies. Of course we have cookies!

nobigdeal
    Participant

Welcome Lenny! Always great to see new faces around here!

Kestrana
    Participant

Hiya Lenny and welcome to Farktography!

Yugoboy
    Participant

Welcome Hog!

I’m not sure how much I’ve improved over my past year + of participating (I’m a pretty stubborn bastard), but I can I’ve found myself taking pictures of things I never thought I would, and being a little more willing to approach people and take pictures of strangers. Now I just have to develop nerves of steel to really get into stranger photography.

Hopefully you’ll feel you improve over time… can’t hurt. The more you do, the more fun you (should) have. Ain’t nothing like a steady diet of new ideas and fresh concepts.

bender16v
    Participant

Welcome, I’m still a little new here, as in about a year, but the weekly themes have helped me a ton. I can’t participate as much as I’d like but they really make me look at everything in a different way, tryig to imagine all of the possible subjects and ideas. Plus everybody here is genuinely nice and helpful. So stick around, I look forward to seeing your photos.

Lenny_da_Hog
    Participant

Thanks, all. See you back in a few weeks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘New guy, just saying hello…’ is closed to new replies.