New toy

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware New toy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

I have a Nikon D7000, and so far my accessories are a nice tripod (thanks to the girlfriend), a UV filter, and a remote shutter control (necessary for exposures longer than 30 seconds), plus a bag to carry it all in. Now I’m starting to get an itch for a new addition. Does anyone have suggestions?

I’m not looking for something too pricey – probably $150 max. I didn’t know if I should go for a new lens, an external flash, a ring light, etc. Or maybe I should just save my money until I max out my capacity with what I have? I figured farktographers would know where to go with this 🙂

olavf
    Participant

I’m looking at upgrading to one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Caselogic-SLRC-206-Camera-15-4-Inch-Backpack/dp/B002DW99H8/ref=pd_cp_p_1

But there was a Canon camera bag thread a little while ago that had some other suggestions.

Personally, I prefer a backpack over a shoulder sling, but that’s partially because I walk funny, and having weight off-balance hurts. Kat prefers a shoulder bag, so YMMV.

As far as the other stuff goes, I’d recommend picking the bits and pieces that you want and saving up. There are compromises between SUPER AWESOME and what you can afford, but generally you’ll regret buying on the cheap.

Think about what kind of photography you think you want to do, and start there though.

orionid
    Participant
    olavf
    Participant

Brain fart – misread.

I’ll stand by the ‘what do you want to photograph’ comment, but back that up with orionid‘s notes about a good 50mm prime. They’re universally handy to have.

Kat has a Sigma that only goes to f/2,8 but it’s also a pretty darn good macro. She gets a lot of use out of it. I’m still partial to my 50mm/1.4 but I don’t do tons of macro shots (and when I do, I can ‘borrow’ hers)

Kestrana
    Participant

If you’re planning on doing studio/portraiture then an external flash + softbox would also be a good choice but I second the 24mm or 50mm lens. We use the 24 constantly.

Curious
    Participant

hang on to your money until you know what you want. olavf‘s “I’ll stand by the ‘what do you want to photograph’ comment” is spot on. i’d love to have a good flash but that $$ could go to something i’d use more like a ring light. OTOH sleeping was showing the advantages of an external flash as back fill for macro work. so for now i have neither since i can’t decide.

you didn’t mention which lens(es) you have now but at $150 you won’t be adding a lens.

if you just have to buy something get a couple more SD cards or a spare battery. you can always use them and it should satisfy the buying itch until you find a major want.

ravnostic
    Participant

Does Nikon not offer a ‘budget’ price f 1.8 or so 50mm like Canon does? I love mine. Yes, it’s plastic. But it was in my budget, and with care will last me for years, till I can afford an f/1.4 (or win the lotto and get the f1.2)

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah you absolutely can : Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens is $135.95 at B&H right now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikkor+50mm&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

orionid
    Participant

Does Nikon not offer a ‘budget’ price f 1.8 or so 50mm like Canon does? I love mine. Yes, it’s plastic. But it was in my budget, and with care will last me for years, till I can afford an f/1.4 (or win the lotto and get the f1.2)

The first one I linked is $140

Ebay can usually scrape up an old manual E-series 50mm pancake for $20-40.

soosh
    Participant

Somehow, I seem to shoot almost nothing at 50mm. It just feels like a really awkward focal length to me.

olavf
    Participant

You seem to do a lot of wide open, or tight spaces, both of which lend themselves to a wider angle, soosh I can see that.

I tend to do a lot of street work and studio work, and the 50mm does pretty well in both cases. I wouldn’t mind something wider (like a 24mm) for the studio sometimes – particularly when I’m trying to do full-body shots. I usually have to use my 17-85mm for that, which I’m not as crazy about lens-wise (kit lens 😛 )

soosh
    Participant

I’ve got really funky eyes; eye doctors call in their colleagues to come take a look when I’m in the office. I can be corrected from 20/400 to 20/15 and have very acute macro type vision, but sorta mid-distance is, now that I’m thinking about it, my worst range for focus. I wonder if that might not have something to do with feeling like a 50mm lens is always either not long enough or isn’t wide enough.

olavf
    Participant

That could have a lot to do with it. I can’t use my camera at all without my glasses, and even then there are certain focal ranges where I just have to use AF and pray. I’m thinking about getting a diopter or two and seeing if that helps (I suspect the glasses fark with the focusing process a bit)

At the same time, my memory of most of your work is awesome sweeping panos or tight interiors – the abandoned mine stuff for example – and a 50mm is really difficult to do any justice with in either situation, from my experience. I use it for tight head/torso shots and medium-distance street shots, mostly. But I also like the challenge of keeping that lens on all day and forcing myself to frame with it. I think I’ve grown a lot from making myself do that.

lokisbong
    Participant

“snip” But I also like the challenge of keeping that lens on all day and forcing myself to frame with it. I think I’ve grown a lot from making myself do that.

I think I need to do that more. I tend to switch lenses if I am not happy immediately with what I am seeing through the view finder. I love my f1.8 50mm lens but I don’t think I use it enough.

soosh
    Participant

I’m just getting ready to head off to the mining ruins right now. I’ve been playing around with a macro setup of two enlarging lenses (one at a time) on an old vivitar bellows macro rail coupled to my dSLR that seems to be pretty damned amazing, from my test shots around the house.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘New toy’ is closed to new replies.