New toy

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware New toy

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

“snip” But I also like the challenge of keeping that lens on all day and forcing myself to frame with it. I think I’ve grown a lot from making myself do that.

I think I need to do that more. I tend to switch lenses if I am not happy immediately with what I am seeing through the view finder. I love my f1.8 50mm lens but I don’t think I use it enough.

It forces you into a perspective. You only have a box ‘this big’ to play with, and you have to figure out new ways of looking at the same old stuff. I find I carry that back into the telephoto lenses too, and I think it’s helped me work around the limitations of whatever I have on the camera at the time.

I’m just getting ready to head off to the mining ruins right now. I’ve been playing around with a macro setup of two enlarging lenses (one at a time) on an old vivitar bellows macro rail coupled to my dSLR that seems to be pretty damned amazing, from my test shots around the house.

Oooh. Cool. I’ll be looking forward to seeing the results.

sleeping
    Participant

For general photography (if you don’t have anything specific in mind) I’d probably recommend the 35/1.8 AF-S as a starter prime lens in preference to both the 50/1.8 and 24/2.8. It’s a much more versatile focal length than 50mm on a DX camera, and it’s cheaper and it’s more than a stop faster than the 24mm.

soosh
    Participant

“snip” But I also like the challenge of keeping that lens on all day and forcing myself to frame with it. I think I’ve grown a lot from making myself do that.

I think I need to do that more. I tend to switch lenses if I am not happy immediately with what I am seeing through the view finder. I love my f1.8 50mm lens but I don’t think I use it enough.

It forces you into a perspective. You only have a box ‘this big’ to play with, and you have to figure out new ways of looking at the same old stuff. I find I carry that back into the telephoto lenses too, and I think it’s helped me work around the limitations of whatever I have on the camera at the time.

I’m just getting ready to head off to the mining ruins right now. I’ve been playing around with a macro setup of two enlarging lenses (one at a time) on an old vivitar bellows macro rail coupled to my dSLR that seems to be pretty damned amazing, from my test shots around the house.

Oooh. Cool. I’ll be looking forward to seeing the results.

I just started a new topic to show a couple of test shots I made hand-held yesterday.

olavf
    Participant

For general photography (if you don’t have anything specific in mind) I’d probably recommend the 35/1.8 AF-S as a starter prime lens in preference to both the 50/1.8 and 24/2.8. It’s a much more versatile focal length than 50mm on a DX camera, and it’s cheaper and it’s more than a stop faster than the 24mm.

There is something to be said for that.
    /a 35mm is going to act like a 50mm on a film camera due to the 1.6x factor of the smaller sensor

olavf
    Participant

I just started a new topic to show a couple of test shots I made hand-held yesterday.

Cool 🙂

Farktographer
    Participant

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I’m thinking I’ll save up for a bigger (and better) purchase later and just scratch the buying itch with some new memory cards and a spare battery. I’ve been giving those f/1.8 cameras a nice, long look though. Soon…you will be mine, soon.

Farktographer
    Participant

…I lied -_-

I saw the Vivitar DF-383 external flash and decided to get that one. I’m not going to be able to afford the Nikon brand speedlight anytime soon, and this seemed like a great alternative to get better-quality indoor shots.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘New toy’ is closed to new replies.