Nikon macro lens

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Nikon macro lens

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    zincprincess
    Participant

I have been wanting a macro lens for some time. So when PeriRies suggested we rent a macro lens for our vacation, I jumped at the idea. I looked at the 60 mm and 85 mm. Ultimately I decided to go with the Nikkor 60 mm AF-S lens. As I expected, I fell in love with the lens and am now figuring out ways to round up the cash to buy one.

Below are a couple of the macro shots I got with it. There are others in a set on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38736385@N02/sets/72157625181810196/

The point of all this is to ask if anyone has used both the 60 mm and the 85 mm. If so, do you have a preference for one over the other? Are the non-Nikkor brands (Sigma and Tamron) comparable in quality? Before I buy, I will probably rent the 85 mm just to make sure.

kashari
    Participant

I have been wanting a macro lens for some time. So when PeriRies suggested we rent a macro lens for our vacation, I jumped at the idea. I looked at the 60 mm and 85 mm. Ultimately I decided to go with the Nikkor 60 mm AF-S lens. As I expected, I fell in love with the lens and am now figuring out ways to round up the cash to buy one.

Below are a couple of the macro shots I got with it. There are others in a set on Flickr.

The point of all this is to ask if anyone has used both the 60 mm and the 85 mm. If so, do you have a preference for one over the other? Are the non-Nikkor brands (Sigma and Tamron) comparable in quality? Before I buy, I will probably rent the 85 mm just to make sure.

Nice shots, zincprincess, love the butterfly one!

I rented the 60mm and really liked the image quality, but felt I really had to get all up in whatever I was shooting. The 105mm Micro was outside of my budget, so the 85mm was my choice and I’m VERY pleased with it. But I think you’re right on renting first, I like having that option.

orionid
    Participant

I have the AF (not AF-S) 60mm and love it. It does seem like you have to “Get up in” whatever you’re shooting, but I actually kind of like that aspect of macro photography. Especially when combined with extension tubes.
    This was weekend before last with a 12mm extension tube. His name is Scar.

The only other macro I’ve used though, is an old sigma 200mm tele-macro fitted for pentax, modified to nikon, and with a 12mm extension tube.
    Which I REALLY like

Kestrana
    Participant

Love the 60mm Macro.

Really Love the 200mm converted Pentax macro.

orionid
    Participant

Which camera body do you have? Memory wants to say D40, but I could be wrong. If you have one of the bodies with the older screw drive AF (D50, 60, 90, most of the pro-levels), then the AF lenses are far cheaper than the AF-S equivalents and may be worth looking into.

caradoc
    Participant

Are the non-Nikkor brands (Sigma and Tamron) comparable in quality?

I was looking at the Nikon 85mm and the Nikon 105mm, but had to compromise… so I ended up with the Tamron 90mm f/2.8.

Love it.

The most recent model of the Tamron 90mm has a built-in AF motor, too, so it’ll work on any Nikon DSLR.

zincprincess
    Participant

Which camera body do you have? Memory wants to say D40, but I could be wrong.

I have a D5000.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Are the non-Nikkor brands (Sigma and Tamron) comparable in quality?

I was looking at the Nikon 85mm and the Nikon 105mm, but had to compromise… so I ended up with the Tamron 90mm f/2.8.

Love it.

The most recent model of the Tamron 90mm has a built-in AF motor, too, so it’ll work on any Nikon DSLR.

I’ve the Tamron 90mm on a older Canon mount, I’ve not done any portrait work with it but I am impressed with the Macro. The AF focus is slow as Christmas, but since I use manual for macro that is a non-issue.

sleeping
    Participant

Tamron 90/2.8 definitely = good. It’s not a whole lot cheaper than the 85/3.5 Nikkor though. I think the choice between them probably depends on how much you see yourself using it. My take on them

– As a portrait lens, the Tamron 90 beats the 85mm Nikon, I think – better bokeh and faster max aperture.
    – As a general purpose tele, the Nikon is probably better (VR and faster focus)
    – As a macro lens, they’re probably pretty close (VR and AF don’t help much in Macro land, and you generally want to stop down so a faster max aperture only means a little more potential focusing accuracy)
    – If your plans include upgrading to FX, the nikon is a bad choice.

zincprincess
    Participant

Good information, all. Thanks for the input.

sleeping – I don’t think I will be upgrading to FX anytime soon. I am miles away from mastering the D-5000.

sleeping
    Participant

I don’t think I will be upgrading to FX anytime soon. I am miles away from mastering the D-5000.

But you will eventually 🙂 and if you do want to go in the FX direction at that point it will be a lot easier if you don’t have to replace all of your glass at the same time.

Barring disasters, your lenses could last you easily 5-10 years, if not longer.

ravnostic
    Participant

You stole my cat for portraiture and I didn’t get a cut!! 😯

I always knew he was a little tramp! 😕

I’ve seen aMAZing macro shots from this group. Seriously amazing shots. But–should the opportunity arise–if you come across a Dalton lens, at an estate sale (probably attached to some other fandangled antique setup), and it’s only $45:

Buy it. Don’t quibble–just do it.

It will be ages before I can afford a ‘real’ macro lens. But I continue to learn to *adapt* to ghetto 1870’s technology–and I’m really quite proud of the shots I can capture, albeit with some difficulty–I’ve become so much more impressed with the lens. There are optical effects I don’t see elsewhere in macro, and *some* of them, I like to think, work to make really great shots.

Granted, you won’t get the variable field of view (well, not to the extent…) and depth of field (ditto), but for the money…

I love your shot of [ahem] my Blerticus. 😉 How do you get him to stand still for portraiture? I have SUCH a hard time with that….

zincprincess
    Participant

Your Blerticus might be the long lost brother to our Marty. Sometimes he’ll pose for me and by pose I mean not get off his fat ass when I’m trying to get in close for a picture. Other times, he gets up and puts his nose on the lens.

Curious
    Participant

Other times, he gets up and puts his nose on the lens.

the joys of close up animal shooting 🙂

zincprincess
    Participant

My dear husband has been unemployed for quite a while but recently landed a pretty good position for himself. Instead of sending me an email or text saying “I have a job offer” he sends me “Go ahead and order the macro lens today.” Love him. I ordered the 85 mm that I tried out a few weeks ago. I really dig it. Our local mall had an orchid sale / show this weekend. Below are a few shots I took with the new lens. You can see the full set on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38736385@N02/sets/72157626034807314/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Nikon macro lens’ is closed to new replies.