O.K. I am freakin out now

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware O.K. I am freakin out now

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

My Canon Rebel xs is giving me ERROR 99 codes. Which is apparently the catch all error message for any interaction between the camera body and lens’s. I am pretty sure it is not lens related because I am getting this with my 18-55 and with the 55-250. The camera is at least a year past any warranty I might have once enjoyed. Does any one know how expensive It would be to have it shipped to a camera service center and checked out / fixed?

ennuipoet
    Participant

My Canon Rebel xs is giving me ERROR 99 codes. Which is apparently the catch all error message for any interaction between the camera body and lens’s. I am pretty sure it is not lens related because I am getting this with my 18-55 and with the 55-250. The camera is at least a year past any warranty I might have once enjoyed. Does any one know how expensive It would be to have it shipped to a camera service center and checked out / fixed?

Before you freak out, clean the gold contacts on the lens and the camera body with a little Isopropyl alcohol and a Q Tip. They can get gunged up fairly easily. If that doesn’t work and the camera is still powering up, you can try to flash the firmware with updated code, the instructions are on the Canon website. If all of that fails, then start looking at sending it in for repair. You are looking at least $100 for service, usually a clean lube and adjust, to $500 for major repairs. If it is major repairs it may be more economical to buy a new camera. 😥

chupathingie
    Participant

^seconded. A good visual might show you what’s at fault. I’ve seen grit stuck between the spring-loaded contacts and the hole they travel in wedge the contact in the “retracted” position before. Supposedly the error also can be caused by bent pins in the memory card slot or battery compartment, so it’s worth a look to see if that’s the case. Bent pins are usually an easy fix, just make sure the battery is out and the camera has been turned on momentarily to discharge anything that might provide potential for a short if you jigger with the pins to straighten them out.

Do you get the error code with no lens in place?

linguine
    Participant

If you have a decent independent camera shop you could try running it by there to see if they know any quick fixes or could at least take a look and come up with an idea of whats wrong.

lokisbong
    Participant

I tried cleaning the contacts this morning just after writing the first comment and it took a half dozen pictures with no error but just now I got the error 99 with the 18-55 and then with no lens all a minute later. That probably means a shutter problem if other sources I looked at earlier when first looking up error99 are to be believed.

edited to add. I believe the nearest camera shop of any repute is at least 200 miles away.

ravnostic
    Participant

You haven’t, by chance, bought the f/1.8 $100 50mm lately, have you? The one I bought that fell apart, it turned out, had lost a screw, which got into the camera, which 1/2 year later prevented the mirror from locking up. Didn’t learn this had happened till I went to have it repaired and converted to IR. In other words, if you did/have, maybe you got screwed like I did? 😀

lokisbong
    Participant

You haven’t, by chance, bought the f/1.8 $100 50mm lately, have you? The one I bought that fell apart, it turned out, had lost a screw, which got into the camera, which 1/2 year later prevented the mirror from locking up. Didn’t learn this had happened till I went to have it repaired and converted to IR. In other words, if you did/have, maybe you got screwed like I did? 😀

Nah. I do own a f/1.8 50mm but upon inspection it seems to have all of its parts still intact which is really saying something since I bought mine used at a pawn shop for $25

… More messing around with it has made me think it’s a shutter problem more every time I mess with it. it seems more likely to error on slower shutter speeds and not so often if I use flash or a really fast shutter speed.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well I did the firmware update.( was kinda afraid to mess with it before but I followed instructions and it went well despite my nervousness.) I have taken three pictures with it since and long exposures even and no error99. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Well I did the firmware update.( was kinda afraid to mess with it before but I followed instructions and it went well despite my nervousness.) I have taken three pictures with it since and long exposures even and no error99. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Flashing the Firmware is a lot like reinstalling Windows, you do it as a last resort, it’s is painful and risky and when it works you don’t WHY it worked. That being said, hope that does it for you, or at least guys you a nice long time before it starts up again.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well it is still intermittently giving the error99 message. A few days ago I went out and It did the error99, I took the battery out for a minute, put the battery back in and proceeded to take about 60 Pictures with no errors. Then tonight I had it error on me again. It doesn’t care what lens is attached but it does seem more likely to error on longer exposures vs fast exposures.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Hey Loki,

Have you read through this yet?
    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/12/canons-error-99-the-man-the-myth

Seems like a pretty thorough treatment of error 99 (although I only browsed it).

chupathingie
    Participant

Grasping here: do you have in-camera noise reduction on?

lokisbong
    Participant

Grasping here: do you have in-camera noise reduction on?

I did but turning it off did no good. the very next exposure Errored.
    It is doing this with both batteries, every memory card I have and every lens. I would say It needs service at a camera shop but according to the internet the closest Canon certified shop is in Virginia or New Jersey and I am worried when it gets there they are gonna charge more than a replacement camera will cost.

lokisbong
    Participant

Hey Loki,

Have you read through this yet?
    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/12/canons-error-99-the-man-the-myth

Seems like a pretty thorough treatment of error 99 (although I only browsed it).

Yeah I read that and tried every one of their tips but No fixes appeared to work. I am thinking it’s shutter related still…But I just don’t know for sure.

nobigdeal
    Participant

http://www.midstatecamerarepair.com/

Right up the street from me. Great people who know their shit. I wouldn’t trust my gear with anybody else. (Unless it was still under warranty)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • The topic ‘O.K. I am freakin out now’ is closed to new replies.