O.K. I am freakin out now

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware O.K. I am freakin out now

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

No it’s just shy of 4 years old and I am pretty sure their (Canons) warranty is only one year. If I could find a place in Nevada I could go visit I would do that but I keep hearing the Shutter Problem can cost as much as a new camera and I am torn on whether to just get a new T1i like this http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digital-Body-Only/dp/B001XURPQI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_4 If I read that right it uses my batteries and and I know it uses the same glass for certain

I should add… I had money saved up for a vacation with some friends but their kid got invited for a two week “Student Diplomat” thing in Europe next summer so our vacation is canceled for a year and I now have a grand to get this issue fixed and or find a cheap car.

lokisbong
    Participant

So what do you all think? would it be smarter to get the old beasty fixed or just spring for a new camera and get the old one fixed at some later date when I can take it to a camera shop instead of shipping it to a camera shop I have never dealt with before?

ennuipoet
    Participant

So what do you all think? would it be smarter to get the old beasty fixed or just spring for a new camera and get the old one fixed at some later date when I can take it to a camera shop instead of shipping it to a camera shop I have never dealt with before?

Were I in your spot, I would buy the new one. Sadly, we live in a throwaway world, where it cost more to get something fixed than buy it new. Though, I like the idea of keeping it aside for a rainy day.

I think about my Camera Closet where my Film Gear stays and how most of them are 30 years old, but the things we build today don’t last five.

fluffybunny
    Participant

+1 for moving on with a new body.

Speaking from long experience, reasons to fix something:

1) You can’t afford to have it fixed or replaced and you do it yourself.
    b) You want to gain the knowledge and experience resulting from doing it.
    5) Sentimentality.
    Q) You must learn things the hard way.

In the past I have fallen squarely into all of these categories.
    Now with a little age (read insight) I can evaluate each scenario as it arises.
    Any more it’s kind of like the cost/benefit calculation I do when I drop change on the ground.
    Used to be I would bend over to get anything, even a penny. Now it’s got to be at least a dime
    on a good day and maybe a quarter if my knees hurt.

lokisbong
    Participant

Yeah I might try to fix it my self if I have another camera already in my fingers but I am not gonna throw it away for sure. It was my first dslr and I got it as a present from my mom a few years ago. I will definitely be fixing it and maybe even modifying it. Unless someone offers me a reliable small car that costs over 500 bucks Today or tomorrow I will ordering the new camera I think.

lokisbong
    Participant

Ok I spent all day thinking about this and decided If I don’t get a new camera before I find a car I will never save up any money what with insurance and fuel so tonight I deposited the money and will order the camera as soon as the money shows in the bank account.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

loki, have you considered a used camera? I was looking on eBay just a couple of weeks ago to see what price 30D’s are currently getting for insurance valuation purposes and was surprised that they’re going for less than $300; sometimes much less. It’s shy on the resolution (8.2MP) and doesn’t have live view, but I’ve been perfectly happy with my 30D. I’d sell you mine if I didn’t have thoughts of converting it to IR. If you could pick one up for a little more than $200, that’d still leave you with a decent chunk to throw at a car.

lokisbong
    Participant

loki, have you considered a used camera? I was looking on eBay just a couple of weeks ago to see what price 30D’s are currently getting for insurance valuation purposes and was surprised that they’re going for less than $300; sometimes much less. It’s shy on the resolution (8.2MP) and doesn’t have live view, but I’ve been perfectly happy with my 30D. I’d sell you mine if I didn’t have thoughts of converting it to IR. If you could pick one up for a little more than $200, that’d still leave you with a decent chunk to throw at a car.

Yeah I thought about it and decided I want new. I will have that first year with a warranty and no worries that something is already worn down to almost broken that I cannot see. I will be able to save back up for the car if I get the camera first. if I get the car first all my money will probably go to keep a sub thousand dollar car on the road. lol.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yeah, a warranty is reassuring and used is always a gamble, so I can understand that. And you’re probably right about the car – it’s always something with those things.

olavf
    Participant

Adorama and B&H both offer a 30-day warranty on their used cameras.

I know several folks (myself included) that have had very good luck with used stuff from Adorama.

orionid
    Participant

Adorama and B&H both offer a 30-day warranty on their used cameras.

I know several folks (myself included) that have had very good luck with used stuff from Adorama.

Ths guy. My favorite and got-to lens was used from B&H.

lokisbong
    Participant

Yeah I understand the used gear can be good thing but I rarely have good luck like that. My luck I would have it a few months and it would die. If I go new I have a full year instead of thirty days on the warranty. I kinda like the peace of mind that goes with that. Plus I already put the money in the bank and ordered it a few hours ago. So Thanks for all the advice anyway.
    I will be getting the old beasty fixed at some future date and might even have the IR thing done to it at that time. But for Now I just really want a new camera so I won’t worry about stuff breaking so soon.

lokisbong
    Participant

Ok I am no longer freakin out. My new camera got here today! Yay!!!! I have not had much time with it yet but it feels good just having it in hand.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats, loki!

lokisbong
    Participant

Thanks. I tried going for a wee photo walk around the neighborhood and it decided to sprinkle on me so I came home before it turned into a true monsoon rain storm. lol It seems like a better camera than the Rebel XS by ten times even though it’s only a step or so up the ladder of Canon cameras. it feels more…I dont know what. Solid? The rubber grip thing is way better material and covers a spot where your thumb sits as well as the main bit. That alone is a vast improvement over the old camera. Not sure if it’s just me but it seems to process the pictures faster too.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • The topic ‘O.K. I am freakin out now’ is closed to new replies.