Official Frankenstorm Panic Thread

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Official Frankenstorm Panic Thread

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah sometimes they have to turn off power in sections in order to work on other lines.

chupathingie
    Participant

I spent part of the day talking on the phone yesterday with our NOC. Between troubles I was pumping him for info. All our stuff survived, and our trans-atlantic fiber facilities all stayed up, though without commercial power (which is ok, there’s deisel fuel for over 3 weeks on-site for the generators). Verizon didn’t fare so well, though… their Manhattan central office has 5 sub-basements now full of seawater. The building is dark, and they have crews welding plates down for new energency generators and fuel tanks. I’ve worked a flooded office before (not nearly THAT large!), and will say from experience that those crews are going to be there for the next week sleeping on the concrete for an hour or two when they just have to drop and getting back up and starting back in. I was in a small office and was still there for 56 hrs straight.

On the upside, any OT beyond 9 hrs is doubletime and they’ll be on the clock 24/7 until it’s all fixed. These guys/gals will be making $10K/wk until the lights are green.

clouddancer
    Participant

I’m up in Maine, but way up north. We got a bit of rain here, mild wind, and some minor brief thunderstorms that passed through. That was it.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The topic ‘Official Frankenstorm Panic Thread’ is closed to new replies.