Official Frankenstorm Panic Thread

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Official Frankenstorm Panic Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Just a note for all the Farktographers who live in areas affected by the “Frankenstorm” forecast to impact the Eastern US from Carolinas to Maine, Sunday – Wednesday this week. FloriDUH is already getting it but what else is new there?

SilverStag, QueenBee, ennuipoet, myself, orionid, NoBigDeal, mint-e, Yugoboy anyone else?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Aren’t sleeping and linguine thereabouts as well?

Good luck to all of you potentially affected.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I, for one, welcome our new Frankenstorm Overlords.

/Seriously, all I am doing is getting wet weather gear ready for the camera. Plastic bag and rubber band, high tech shiat!

/Live high above the water, in a city with underground powerlines.

bender16v
    Participant

ennuipoet, two weekends ago I went to a shooting workshop outdoors and it was raining. A garbage bag with a hole in the end and rubber bands work surprisingly well.

I think clouddancer is up in Maine. Good luck East Coasters, we’re all counting on you.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Not too worried. Wife is in full panic mode. Went shopping for bread and eggs.

linguine
    Participant

I’m in California for about 6 months so I’m pretty safe from the Frankenstorm. Just have to hope I don’t fall into a giant hole during an earthquake since the San Andreas Fault is about 5 miles away. On the plus side, after last weekend I now know its possible to party hard enough to miss a 5.3 thats about 20 miles away.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah sleeping and clouddancer will probably catch some serious rain from it.

caradoc
    Participant

Bread and eggs would be the least of my worries.

Water. Shelter. Light. Calories. That’s pretty much it. I already carry three days for two people in the car any time I go out stormchasing, and the house is ready for two weeks or more, depending. I’d hate to do it in the summertime here, though. It’d get fricking hot.

ennuipoet
    Participant

ennuipoet, two weekends ago I went to a shooting workshop outdoors and it was raining. A garbage bag with a hole in the end and rubber bands work surprisingly well.

It was good enough for Irene, it will be good enough for Sandy.

Speaking of Emergency Supplies, I need to hit the liquor store. I follow the New Orleans Model of Storm Preparation, drink until the wind stops, loot until the National Guard arrives.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I, for one, welcome our new Frankenstorm Overlords.

/Seriously, all I am doing is getting wet weather gear ready for the camera. Plastic bag and rubber band, high tech shiat!

/Live high above the water, in a city with underground powerlines.

Having never shot in the rain, nor contemplated taking the camera out in the rain, can I have a pic of your set up for reference?

It’s raining in Toronto too… we may get the tail end of the Frankenstorm too, just in time for Hallowe’en.

caradoc
    Participant

Having never shot in the rain, nor contemplated taking the camera out in the rain, can I have a pic of your set up for reference?

This is pretty close to what I do:

Take a plastic bag. Put a hole in the bottom slightly smaller than your lens will fit through, and stretch that hole over the lens. Rubber-band it in place.

I kept a pair of these in my bag for several years, but they finally wore out and I didn’t see the value in replacing them.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

This is pretty close to what I do:

Take a plastic bag. Put a hole in the bottom slightly smaller than your lens will fit through, and stretch that hole over the lens. Rubber-band it in place.

I kept a pair of these in my bag for several years, but they finally wore out and I didn’t see the value in replacing them.

Cool, thanks.

sleeping
    Participant

Aren’t sleeping and linguine thereabouts as well?

Eh, unless the forecast changes up here we’re basically expecting some bad weather is all…

Yugoboy
    Participant

FWIW – every time the weather channel shows the areas under watch/warning, we’re smack in the middle of the red zone. Fortunately we’re far enough from the coast (3-400 miles?) that we’ll get some of the pain, but are not likely to lose house, life or limb. We also aren’t in a flood zone (the canal’s downhill from us, and where we are the cut for it is well over 30 feet down to water level).

ennuipoet – if they decide to issue a Katrina-like evacuation notice, I will be more than happy to host you… we can finally have that beer (I’ve still got my 2 growlers from the Anniversary road trip, not to mention most of a 12 of Honey Brown and some assorted other tasty treats.)

We probably won’t even lose days of work, but we are already making plans to decamp to the trailer if power goes out… the furnace will keep us warm enough, and the batteries will keep us relatively lit. A day off for shooting storm damage would be a nice gift, however…

ennuipoet
    Participant

FWIW – every time the weather channel shows the areas under watch/warning, we’re smack in the middle of the red zone. Fortunately we’re far enough from the coast (3-400 miles?) that we’ll get some of the pain, but are not likely to lose house, life or limb. We also aren’t in a flood zone (the canal’s downhill from us, and where we are the cut for it is well over 30 feet down to water level).

ennuipoet – if they decide to issue a Katrina-like evacuation notice, I will be more than happy to host you… we can finally have that beer (I’ve still got my 2 growlers from the Anniversary road trip, not to mention most of a 12 of Honey Brown and some assorted other tasty treats.)

We probably won’t even lose days of work, but we are already making plans to decamp to the trailer if power goes out… the furnace will keep us warm enough, and the batteries will keep us relatively lit. A day off for shooting storm damage would be a nice gift, however…

If they evacuate my neighborhood it is the End of the World, I m on a bluff about sixty feet above the River. But, if the apocalypse does arrive, I will take you up on it! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • The topic ‘Official Frankenstorm Panic Thread’ is closed to new replies.