Personal website or Photoblog.

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Personal website or Photoblog.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

I am interested in having my own site to showcase my pics. Why? Just ’cause. Something to play with. Someplace to show-off.

I’ve looked at some of the free blog spots and haven’t found exactly what I am looking for. They seem a bit limited in how I can set it up.

I’d like something with galleries – B&W, Macro, Nature, Funny, Kids, Etc. It might be nice to be able to put photos in more that one gallery (B&W and Macro). Blog text and EXIF stuff would be good.

I think want the site to host my photos – like for farktography themes. I’d like to be able to post or pop to relatively large pics.

Something like soosh has. http://sacredartichoke.com/coppermine/

I’m willing to pay for this service as long as it’s not a lot of $. Maybe there is a free blog that would work that I just haven’t found.

Any input?

sleeping
    Participant

There are a bunch of open source gallery applications you can install if you get your own web space (and you can find web hosts that have automated installation in place for common ones).

http://coppermine-gallery.net/
    http://gallery.menalto.com/

soosh
    Participant

mine runs off of coppermine, and I get hosting from 1and1.com. I pay about $5 a month for hosting. I’ve been meaning to redo mine to a flash gallery, but haven’t undertaken that yet. If you decide to do your own hosting, I would be happy to help you set up coppermine or something similar. It’s really not that difficult. I have my photoblog running on pixelpost, which is another free web application.

If you do go the pay for hosting route, I highly recommend getting space on a linux server as opposed to Microsoft. I think there is just a lot more out there that works more readily on linux.

U-Man
    Participant

Does it matter if I don’t know anything about Linux?

olavf
    Participant

I run gallery2 on my own server and it wasn’t that difficult to set up. But, I’ve got “some” Linux knowledge. I haven’t looked into it, but I think many hosts can help you with it?

staplermofo
    Participant

They make it so ridiculously easy now you won’t believe it. You’ll reflexively look around for some young whippersnapper to lecture about how hard things were back in your day.

(“They” refers to every one I’ve tried so far)

olavf
    Participant

So even a caveman can do it?

U-Man
    Participant

Associated question – Presently, I pay for an image host. If I get my own hosted site do I have to keep that one going for the FSM? Put another way, can I change the address on my old pics so that my FSM portfolio stays intact?

olavf
    Participant

AFAIK all that stuff will break if you change over. As a compromise for myself, I have a section of my gallery dedicated to farktography contests – sorted by contest & date.

Does your image host have a free service too? FSM doesn’t eat a lot of bandwidth so if you can keep your stuff for free, you shouldn’t have any problems.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Personal website or Photoblog.’ is closed to new replies.