Pricing Quandry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

I received a request from another photographer to use one of my shots as a background image for a photo he has taken:

(the image in question)
    http://freeversephotography.com/freeversephotoblog/?attachment_id=2735

Hi,

Love this Image. I’m in need of a background image for a photo I’ve taken and this one would work perfect. The image won’t be used for commercial use or to make a profit, just to round out the picture for advertisement.

Anyway to purchase this image? Or possibly use it and give your website full credit on the background image?

my website is JasonMerrillPhotography.com

Thanks
    Jason

I replied to his request asking how big, what kind of use, print vs online and am waiting to hear back. I am trying to determine what I should charge for the license. I checked out his website, he’s a pro in Louisiana and based on his request he wishes to use the shot in an advertisement, which makes me think I definitely should charge rather than just reciprocal credit on the photo. (If he were a NYC photographer where local people might see it and come back to me, I might go the credited photo route.) Stock photo prices for adverts run around $300.00 and up depending on the kind of advert, those are geared toward corporate advertising agencies.

I am thinking in the <$100 range for another photographer using the shot as a background image (again depending on exactly what it is going to be used for). What would you charge another photog to use one of your picss?

Farktographer
    Participant

I’m getting a little confused as to how the image “won’t be used for commercial use or to make a profit” but at the same time is “for advertisement.” Isn’t that what commercial use is, leading eventually to profit?

I’d also be interested in seeing how much of your picture he’s using as a background. If it’s a focal point, then you can request more cash versus if it’s a blurred out, minor player.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’m getting a little confused as to how the image “won’t be used for commercial use or to make a profit” but at the same time is “for advertisement.” Isn’t that what commercial use is, leading eventually to profit?

I’d also be interested in seeing how much of your picture he’s using as a background. If it’s a focal point, then you can request more cash versus if it’s a blurred out, minor player.

I am inferring that he plans on using it as part of advert for his services, not as a background for a print he is making for a client. In my opinion that makes it a for profit, which is why I think charging is the right thing to do. If this were a non-profit I would donate the shot for credit, something I’ve done several times for other organizations.

If and when he replies (these things sometimes just vanish into the ether) I will post more details.

olavf
    Participant

Advertising is definitely commercial use. But, I would want to know more details about what his plans are as well. As a photographer, I’d really want to use my own stuff to promote my work, unless there were a really compelling reason. That said, Pineville LA is a couple of hours from anything remotely resembling a large town – and one’s options there are Shreveport or Baton Rouge.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Pricing Quandry’ is closed to new replies.