Problem, could use help

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Problem, could use help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

Hey guys, I’ve got a bit of a problem here. Last night, I was taking some photos (not even any really good ones, sadly, due to high cloud) when my D7000’s shutter wheel seemed to stop working. I thought it might just be because the camera is really cold, so I took it back inside, and by the end of the night, it still wasn’t working. I then took it back down the mountain with me, and slept, and now that I’ve woken up it still doesn’t work. The really crappy part is that I can’t change my ISO or shutter speed from what it was set for, which is ISO 6400 and bulb exposure, since I was doing a short-exposure to figure out my framing when the wheel broke. Now, my camera is basically rendered useless in any mode but auto. Does anyone have any ideas about what I might do?

sleeping
    Participant

Put it in a ziplock with some desiccant for a day or so?

Also, I think you can swap the main/secondary control wheel functions in the menu somewhere, which should let you get some more control back?

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Moisture is probably not the problem-the humidity last night was <20%, and it's always really dry up here. I'll try it when I get home, though, just in case. For now, I'm focused on finding that setting in the menu to reverse the wheels-I know it exists, I just can't seem to find it.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Alright, I’ve managed to hack the camera back into some semblance of working order. It seems the forward control wheel only works for changing shutter speed when it’s set like this, and all of the other functions (ISO, white balance, etc) are still controlled by the back wheel. I’ve managed a workaround for this, but I would still really like my camera’s full functionality back!

Oh, and thanks for the advice, sleeping, I’m trying not to freak out too much-a level head is most appreciated.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Don’t know Nikons but kinda sounds software (aka firmware) related. Is there a way to reset the camera’s brains?

Kestrana
    Participant

You bought your 7000 less than a year ago right? My 5000 came with a 5 year limited warranty. Might be worth giving Nikon a call/email.

chupathingie
    Participant
    fluffybunny
    Participant

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17327/~/d7000-firmware%3A-a%3A1.02,-b%3A1.02

Info for fluffybunny’s idea…

I was thinking more of a hard reboot, but reloading firmware might work too.

chupathingie
    Participant

That would be a much quicker option, and prolly aughtta be tried first…
    https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9933/~/how-to-reset-a-d-slr-to-factory-default-settings

Farktographer
    Participant

/Nothing to offer, but hope things get sorted out for you soon. Keep us updated 🙁

Plamadude30k
    Participant

That would be a much quicker option, and prolly aughtta be tried first…
    https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9933/~/how-to-reset-a-d-slr-to-factory-default-settings

Holy crap, that worked! I can’t imagine why it was a software issue, but the wheel is working just fine now. Thanks for the help, and watch for a gallery of all my images from this trip sometime tomorrow!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Okay, so I did the firmware update just now, and now the wheel doesn’t work again. Headache.

caradoc
    Participant

Very low humidity and very low temperatures are a perfect mix for static electrical charges building up. It’s possible you’ve done yourself some damage via static shock. Have you tried resetting the firmware again post-update?

zincprincess
    Participant

You bought your 7000 less than a year ago right? My 5000 came with a 5 year limited warranty. Might be worth giving Nikon a call/email.

Agree. I would give Nikon a call. I will give you the bad news, if you have to send it back to them to fix it will take at least two weeks and as many as six. The work on my external flash took two weeks, and the work on my D5000 took 6 weeks (had to get part from Japan). The good news is both repairs were free as they were covered under warranty even though the flash problem was user clumsiness.

nobigdeal
    Participant

The basic warranty is at least one year. I sent my
    SB900 back for repair after I dropped it. Out on Monday back on Friday. Covered under warranty!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Problem, could use help’ is closed to new replies.