Red Wings 2012

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Red Wings 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

That shot of the catcher is total win.

Yugoboy
    Participant

That shot of the catcher is total win.

Thanx! I kinda got lucky with that, but not so lucky that I don’t have 4 more very similar to it. The bullpen is lower than the hillside where pedestrians are allowed, and I get to work as batting practice is beginning.

Tonight I got a few really nice shots, I think. The first one, is a guy NOT getting caught off first (Mastroianno). The shot where he successfully stole second is quite blurry so it’s not here. He got stranded at second at inning end, so the second shot is him returning to the dugout being the only player to successfully do ANYTHING that inning. In the at-bat immediately after this, one run was earned for the Yankees when the guy in the third photo sent the ball (visible in the photo) over the fence. I actually have 3 shots from his hoe run trot, including coming home, but they aren’t quite as compelling as the initial blast photo.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Man, if you had BIF (ball in frame) on that Mastroianno @ first shot it would be magazine quality stuff. Excellent work.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Man, if you had BIF (ball in frame) on that Mastroianno @ first shot it would be magazine quality stuff. Excellent work.

The one I do have with BIF was blurry. I either gotta live with the occasional loss due to blurry, but be in control of focus, or keep it on autofocus and deal with whatever it chooses to focus on. Even when I jack the ISO up to 2500, I’m still shooting at about 1/150-1/250 f5-5.6ish on a well-lit shot when it’s a night game. Maybe I should be trying to use the manual focus lens as I can also control f-stops.

Thanx for the compliment, however!

I’m trying to get beyond just “guy at plate” or “pitcher winding up/throwing” shots, but still get good action. My 55-200 can only get me just so close.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Yeah I’m with you on those limitations, everything about this hobby is compromise. Here’s to dreaming of long, fast glass.

staplermofo
    Participant

Are you putting these photos where someone googling the team would find them?
    Your shots are just as good as the ones for sale on their website, and many are a lot better.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Are you putting these photos where someone googling the team would find them?
    Your shots are just as good as the ones for sale on their website, and many are a lot better.

Actually, I’m fixing to email that company soon (I should have done it last weekend). They’re a local media group that does all the town weeklies in the area. I figure if I can get them interested, maybe I can get them on the site, a few sold, and definitely a press pass so I can get into all the different events we’ve got. We have no major league teams, but we’ve got whole bunches of minor league teams. It’d be cool as heck to get into them for free (especially since I now get the parking for free, too!)

orionid
    Participant

Here’s to dreaming of long, fast glass.

Like this? (Probably NSFW).

Yugoboy
    Participant

Well, based on all the love here (not counting orionid‘s latest contribution… lotta love there, too) I ginned up the courage and emailed the company. It was after noon on a Friday, so I have no idea how long it will be before I hear from them.

I finally discovered what the “Hi0.3, Hi0.7, Hi1.0” ISO settings are. I’ve got a couple pretty nice higher shutter shots from tonight I’ll post (including one where you can see the stitches on the ball in flight) probably tomorrow. My main (non-work) computer’s busy copying a Korean DVD before it has to go back to the library tomorrow.

Oh yeah… if you’re a baseball fan, you’ll be interested to know Andy Pettite is pitching at our stadium on Sunday. The place is already sold out. I have no idea if he’ll be pitching long enough for me to get pix (because I have to work past opening… I usually get in somewhere in the 3rd-4th inning), but if he is, I’ll definitely post at least 1 pic. Honestly, I’m not a baseball fan as far as following teams. Sometimes I forget to check the score in the stadium before I leave. I’m enjoying the photography. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen Pettite pitch on TV, so this’ll be interesting. I imagine that after he’s pulled hundreds of people will leave.

Yugoboy
    Participant

OK… this is going to be a bit ridiculous… I’ve got a few game photos, but May 5 was also the first fireworks night I got to attend… so, 4 of those. May 6 was Andy Pettite day. I went a little berserk, taking like 300 pics. I wont’ be stupid and bore you with anything like all of them, but I’ve got 2 of Pettite, as well as a few of the game, and the last one is a bit of me playing with Photoshop, turning a modern picture into a B/W Sepia shot.

I know I’ve already mentioned Mastroianni. He’s pretty good. His average is just under .400 and he turned in 4 RBIs May 5. This is two of them (he hit a single that drove these 2 guys in.

This was the second game of a double-header created by the sudden arrival of Andy Pettite. While the Wings haven’t been great this year, they dominated Game 2. This shot was of a routine force out at first.

Another close-up of a player’s back (I like this pose, I don’t know why). I give you 3rd Baseman Ray Chang:

Fireworks!
    Thanx ennuipoet! I used your suggestions and these came out pretty good. Going to try a few different locations over the next few weeks. It was tough to get far enough away to get “context.” I took these from quite literally the last accessible row of seats (there are luxury boxes above these).

Going to put May 6 in the next post.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Andy Pettite caused the second-highest attendance in stadium history. Every parking lot was jammed full, and we were done by the second inning. Pettite was decidedly NOT Hall of Fame material on this day. He looked like a AAA player, and not a particularly good one. The Pawtucket Red Sox got 6 hits off him, good for 5 runs. Even so, when he walked off the field at the end of the 5th, people roared his name until he acknowledged the crowd with a hat wave (which I didn’t catch because it was so fleeting).

This was an unsuccessful play at home plate. The Pawtucket player scored after tagging up on a long fly out.

Once Pettite retired for the day, the Yankees came alive and scored 5, but the Red Sox ended up with 7. The next few shots are just action shots as the Yankees tried desperately to dig out from the hole Pettite dug for them.

This one works better with reduced saturation.

This is the grand sepia experiment:

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Excellent work Yugoboy!

Yugoboy
    Participant

Excellent work Yugoboy!

Thank you so much!

2 more…
    Yesterday’s Yankees/Columbus game was rained out, so today’s contest was a 2 7-inning game double-header. We work straight through the first game when this happens. In the second game, I watched one inning.

I pulled out some of the Photoshop skills for this one… a successful stolen base in 3 parts:

I like the composition and all the various bodies in motion on this one:

emiliogtz
    Participant

Great shots Yugoboy! They sure bring back a lot of good memories.

Makes me want to go to the ballpark this weekend.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Great shots Yugoboy! They sure bring back a lot of good memories.

Makes me want to go to the ballpark this weekend.

Thanx! A night at the ballpark is loads of fun… if the weather is cooperative. Been cold here for many of the games (not all). Tonight was good weather until about an hour before gametime… a cold front moved in and I was decidedly not prepared.

Rather than overload, I’ve got a single shot here. Baserunner will be declared out at first, but this shot’s microseconds before that… I caught the ball in the frame (as suggested earlier in this thread).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • The topic ‘Red Wings 2012’ is closed to new replies.